My droid is possesed!!

19DroidRage84

Reaction score
Yesterday my droid became possesed!! It has started selecting things on its own. Scrolling up and down in the broswer, opening the gallery and zooming in on pictures, and more random things. Also when it does this none of the soft keys will work. Usually I can put the phone to sleep then wake it up and it will stop doing it. Sometimes though I have to reboot it.

I thought maybe it was just my phone till one of my friends asked me about it. His has started doing the same thing. His even opened up the email app on its own and typed a 6 page email of random letters. The only thing that are phones have in common is that we are both running cyanogenmod 5.0.7.1. Which im sure isnt the cause. But it is weird that both of our phones have started doing it at the same time.

It seems like it is a hardware issue. Like the touch sensor is messing up. I made sure the screen was clean but that didnt help.

I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not heard of this particular issue. If your had the same experience on a PC I would think someone had gained control of the box. As of this writing, I'm not aware of anyones' phone being compromised.

Mike

cromo8

Reaction score
are you using an aftermarket charger for your phone? because a while ago there was a report that if you use an aftermarket charger your phone will get a virus

vince10

Reaction score
it seems like the screen is acting up similarly but not the same mine does not do things on its own but it is a screen issue how do you recalibrate?

OP

19DroidRage84

Reaction score
are you using an aftermarket charger for your phone? because a while ago there was a report that if you use an aftermarket charger your phone will get a virus

We are both using the stock charger.

Ice_Cold

Reaction score
I am also having this issue and I'm stock. Also my screen wont respond at random times. Took it to VZW and was told that I needed a task killer. Well it didnt work and I got 4 steps out the door and it did it again. Then I was told there is nothing VZW can do

slinky

Reaction score
I've had this happen on electronic devices when a keyboard button is pressed and held down without noticing it. Perhaps something might be stuck or there is some electrical contact occurring as people report with aftermarket chargers. I'd try yanking out the battery rebooting, seeing what gives.

Fault

Reaction score
Ive heard that something that also may be causing problems is a computer with bluetooth enabled. Insure that this isnt messing it up

workinhd

Reaction score
Having the same issue, one guy suggested taking out the sd card and see it if behaves.

CrashnBrn

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. I scoured the internet for answers, I was also using the charger that came with the phone. Multiple wipes of the phone did not solve the problems. I ended up getting a warranty replacement from VZW and have no looked back.

Reaction score
I had the same thing start occurring this week. I started searching online and it seems like lots of folks are having this issue. Apparently the capacitive touch screen has an issue with heat and after extended use it's becoming extra sensitive to oil from fingers being left on the face, especially in "high traffic" areas of the screen. I noticed all the "ghost" selections on mine seem to be coming from the "swipe" area where you unlock it and from the buttons at the bottom. After cleaning the screen thoroughly it works okay for a few minutes but after a couple of swipes, it goes crazy again. Apparently it's wide spread enough that Verizon support doesn't even question it because when I called it in, they just confirmed my address and are sending me a new one.

Reaction score
After fooling with it a little more (waiting on my replacement to come in), it is DEFINITELY a hardware issue. The capacitive sensitivity seems to have gotten super sensitive and ANY oil on the screen from skin contact sends it into "ghost" mode. If I clean it then use a thin napkin or something, it works okay. As soon as oil gets back on it though, it starts registering touches like crazy. It seems like the lower quarter is the most sensitive (sense it's probably had the most contacts thanks to the swipes to unlock it).

dangoch

Reaction score
Crazy hot days

Mine has just started going crazy lately. It does appear to be heat related and maybe sweaty body related. If I put it in my shirt pocket on a hot day and I start sweating, it goes crazy. If I put it in my home dock and wait for awhile, it works again. I haven't cleaned my screen to make it work better. I guess I'm glad to see it isn't just my phone. What is the process of transferring everything from one phone to another? I know it isn't just taking out the SD card. Can you load the onboard memory onto the SD card?

debacle

Reaction score
Before getting my droid, I had a POS samsung glyde. Look it up. Those phones were notorious for doing that. Just sitting on the table it would scroll thru my contacts and randomly call one. Or send a text message. Or ope 'Get it Now'. Well, After speaking with Verizon, they said the latest firmware upgrade would work. nope. So they replaced the phone. Within 2 weeks it started doing it again. So replaced it again, then again. Long story short, I ended up with 5 phones, and all of them had that problem. It tracked down to being a short in the screen, and became even more problematic the warmer it got.

Moral: Get a replacement now, it will only get worse.