My Droid 4 isn't turning on? Images included

mashi

Reaction score
About two days ago I was kind of curious and trying to check how the battery on my Droid 4 was working and I lifted the left edge a little (but did NOT remove the whole battery), while it was still on (I know, pretty stupid of me, because of the warranty and whatnot) and now it isn't turning on. I've tried to charge it multiple times with different chargers and wall outlets but all that occurs when I do so, is momentarily flash the green LED light (the whole phone remains blank) and then it goes off (the green LED light). Do you think I might have damaged the battery or the ribbons?

And also, would it be easy to replace the battery on my own if I were to use a Droid 4 teardown guide and the tools needed? I'd like to replace the battery (if that's where the problem lies) on my own because I wouldn't want to send it off or wait a week or so to get my phone back and spend more money having it done and I've already spent two days researching this problem and I don't want to get a refurbished phone :c

I'm rather desperate to have it running again because since the Droid 4 doesn't come with an SD card, I've had to save my data on the internal memory and I'd like to retrieve that data and transfer it onto an SD card after.

Please, please help :(

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
So, it was working and charging perfectly before you pull the battery? If so, you might have torn a connector or something.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
About two days ago I was kind of curious and trying to check how the battery on my Droid 4 was working and I lifted the left edge a little (but did NOT remove the whole battery), while it was still on (I know, pretty stupid of me, because of the warranty and whatnot) and now it isn't turning on. I've tried to charge it multiple times with different chargers and wall outlets but all that occurs when I do so, is momentarily flash the green LED light (the whole phone remains blank) and then it goes off (the green LED light). Do you think I might have damaged the battery or the ribbons?

And also, would it be easy to replace the battery on my own if I were to use a Droid 4 teardown guide and the tools needed? I'd like to replace the battery (if that's where the problem lies) on my own because I wouldn't want to send it off or wait a week or so to get my phone back and spend more money having it done and I've already spent two days researching this problem and I don't want to get a refurbished phone :c

I'm rather desperate to have it running again because since the Droid 4 doesn't come with an SD card, I've had to save my data on the internal memory and I'd like to retrieve that data and transfer it onto an SD card after.

Please, please help :(
try unscrewing the two screws with a torx 5 bit and re-seat the cable. when its reseated reattach the screws. just be careful tho.

OP
M

mashi

Reaction score
So, it was working and charging perfectly before you pull the battery? If so, you might have torn a connector or something.

Yes it was, and a connector on the battery or where?
And I had laid the phone with the back/battery part facing me while it was still charging, and I lifted up the part where the sticker is on the left with the black panel thing under it (yes, pretty much still agonizing over my own stupidity). But keep in mind that I didn't lift the whole battery up, but maybe you're right :frown:

OP
M

mashi

Reaction score
try unscrewing the two screws with a torx 5 bit and re-seat the cable. when its reseated reattach the screws. just be careful tho.

Agh, I'm so happy that people are actually replying to this problem I'm having, thank you guys :'c
Anyways, I was planning on seeing if Sears had some torx T5 screwdrivers and spudgers and I'm thinking that maybe I should do just that because I also managed to find this guide thing: Motorola Droid 4 Teardown - iFixit
And honestly I'm hoping with the mistake I made, that hopefully I didn't manage to cause the entire motherboard to stop working or something like that :frown:

and plus, do you think it's a good idea if I order an OEM battery of the same type, just in case?

Last edited:

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
well the new battery comes with the cable so it may be a good idea... sears should have it if not you can pick one up at home depot or lowes. i bet the board is fine.. just be gentle with it. ive heard of ppl pulling the battery, bending it till it becomes unstable and it heats up and explodes... li-ion is a bit dangerous... also keep the sticker on the back of the batter cuz it has your meid # and other stuff.
one more thing be very careful when plugging in the new battery. make sure everything lines up before putting any pressure on it. ive also heard of ppl bending the contact and ruining the battery that way.

Last edited:
OP
M

mashi

Reaction score
well the new battery comes with the cable so it may be a good idea... sears should have it if not you can pick one up at home depot or lowes. i bet the board is fine.. just be gentle with it. ive heard of ppl pulling the battery, bending it till it becomes unstable and it heats up and explodes... li-ion is a bit dangerous... also keep the sticker on the back of the batter cuz it has your meid # and other stuff.
one more thing be very careful when plugging in the new battery. make sure everything lines up before putting any pressure on it. ive also heard of ppl bending the contact and ruining the battery that way.

What I'll do is probably head to one of those places either Friday or Saturday and ask if they have it, and once I buy it, I'll get to work! But yes, I'll be extremely careful with it and if reseating it doesn't work after several attempts, I'll just end up buying a new battery on Amazon, which I've seen are pretty much cheaper than anywhere else I've found them online. But yes, I'll post my results back onto this thread, and hopefully they're good ones! n-n Thank you!~

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
Even autozone has it if there is one nearby. I really hope you get it fix, tell us the story when you're done with it.

OP
M

mashi

Reaction score
Even autozone has it if there is one nearby. I really hope you get it fix, tell us the story when you're done with it.

Okay well yesterday I went to get my the torx t5 screwdriver at Sears and today what I did was try to take out the screws and reseat the whole battery several times. Honestly, it doesn't look as if the ribbon is damaged in any sort of way now that I examined it and I actually already have another phone here I could try to use the battery of and see if that would work.

(long story short, it's the exact same type of phone and all and I thought that perhaps I could switch out both batteries and insert the old one's into the regular phone one that I'm currently having trouble with. The old phone is the one I'm supposed to turn in to Motorola soon because months ago, the usb port had broken off, but the battery on it is great and the phone has absolutely no problem charging on this charging mat I have.)

What I've found is that:
1. Once I place the old phone's battery into the regular phone that I'm having trouble with, it STILL doesn't turn on :frown: so does that completely rule out that the battery is the problem? Because considering all I did was lift the battery up in the first place, this doesn't make any sense to me at all.
2. What I also did was place the regular phone's battery in my old phone, to see what would happen. Turns out it charges just fine when I place it on my Qi charging mat.

This is just really disappointing, I'm still really desperate to get my data back :frown:

OP
M

mashi

Reaction score

I don't see why the entire phone would not be wanting to turn on just from me lifting the battery up. I tried carefully taking out my old Droid 4's battery to see if it would work, because it charges just fine (instead of buying a new Droid 4 battery online) and placing it in the phone I'm having trouble with, but the same green LED light pops up. Please help :frown: