Droid 4 vs Droid 3

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I have both sitting right in front of me. Get the Droid 4. Small differences but they add up.

1 GB ram vs. 512 MB ram
1.2 Ghz CPU vs. 1.0 Ghz CPU
4G vs. 3G
Edge Lit Keyboard vs. Center Lit Keys
ICS definitely coming vs. ICS definitely NOT coming

Battery use for me has been near identical between the two. The extra ram and extra speed will help with keeping more applications running smooth. The ICS leak is reportedly awesome so looking forward to the official release version.

The Droid 3 came out early July so your friend hasn't even had it a year......and it's already "done" as far as Motorola support is considered. It might get a bug fix/patch or security update but they have already stated it will remain on Gingerbread 2.3.6.

Overall the Droid 4 is a better device. There are no reasons to get the Droid 3 other than price.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have both sitting right in front of me. Get the Droid 4. Small differences but they add up.

1 GB ram vs. 512 MB ram
1.2 Ghz CPU vs. 1.0 Ghz CPU
4G vs. 3G
Edge Lit Keyboard vs. Center Lit Keys
ICS definitely coming vs. ICS definitely NOT coming

Battery use for me has been near identical between the two. The extra ram and extra speed will help with keeping more applications running smooth. The ICS leak is reportedly awesome so looking forward to the official release version.

The Droid 3 came out early July so your friend hasn't even had it a year......and it's already "done" as far as Motorola support is considered. It might get a bug fix/patch or security update but they have already stated it will remain on Gingerbread 2.3.6.

Overall the Droid 4 is a better device. There are no reasons to get the Droid 3 other than price.

Or to flash it to another carrier (non contract carrier).

tutorialbs

Reaction score
I am About to upgrade from the Droid 2 and after a terrible, terrible exprience with the five replacement phones I had to go through, and I am a tad hesitant about upgrading to the 4. I've played around with the demo phones, read the reviews, and gone through plenty of threads but still can't decide if i should get it; or stay safe and get the droid 3 which my friend had had for over a year with little or no problems. Should I get the 4 or stay safe with the 3 in case they announce the Droid 5 a month after I upgrade?
I was in your shoes sorta, had a v710 and e815 for many, many years, and went through a crappy replacement phone after finally taking my 2 year upgrade last month. Decided to try the Droid 4 out, I find it hard to get a feel for the demo phones with everyone and everything going on in the crowded Verizon store. Anyways, I upgraded to Droid 4 with the full intention of simply returning it (with $35 restock fee) after a few weeks, and getting the Droid 3, because that'd be about $250 cheaper.

I didn't realize you can upgrade to the D4 on Amazon for about $50 less, but that might have made it more of a pain to return it, anyways...

It's been over a month now, and I still have my Droid 4 :). For me, the keyboard alone made it worth it, I feel in love with it after the first day, hands down the best I've ever seen or used on a phone. Plus, with all the other upgrades the phone has, like being able to choose 4G or 3G, not only for data but sometimes (albeit, rarely) 4G coverage will be better than 3G, or 3G will be bogged down and slow in comparison and it's nice to have an alternative. I'd at least try the D4 before deciding, the $35 was worth it to me.
If you decide to try it, you might not want to let the Verizon clerks know that you plan to return it, I've met some of them who are completely anal about having to be the the clerk that sells you a phone you are planning on returning, even though it is completely your choice. Guess they get bad marks or something? Idk.​

Last edited: