Droid 4 vs Droid 3

Grassi

Reaction score
Okay I am gonna make this quick and to the point, I am about to get a new droid and I am definitely going to get either the droid 3 or 4 because I need a keyboard, I need to know which of the two phones battery will last longer to make my decision. So please help me out, much appreciated

wildride89

Reaction score
If I was you I would get the 4. Even though I never use my keyboard. The touch keyboards are nice and they have a million apps. I've have the og DROID, DROID 2 and d3. They have the d4 so if you have a debate buy the newer one. My 2 cents

Battery life is good on d3 and I have a ext battery running mavrom. They are going to have good roms with battery tweaks for d4 soon, if not already.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
G

Grassi

Reaction score
So would you say the droid 4 has a better overall battery life stock, without rooting? Or are they about the same?

moccor

Reaction score
So would you say the droid 4 has a better overall battery life stock, without rooting? Or are they about the same?

Get the Droid 4 just because it's keyboard doesn't suck. And by suck I mean, I checked a bunch of reviews on the Droid 3, half the people using the phone reported keys not being typed upon pushing. and keyboard failures, etc. I only had the Droid 4 for a little over 2 weeks, but it has Never missed a key press yet. It just looks and feels solid. And tbh, I think the Droid 4 has really nice battery life with the bloatware frozen.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I'd recommend D4 because it's dual core and 4G.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
The D3 is dual core but not 4G. You will regret not getting 4g after seeing how fast it is. Plus with the D4 you can use 4g for the net and use the phone at the same time, the D3 you can't (only with wifi).

As far as which has better battery life, my wife has a D3 and I have a D4. Both are rooted and have bloat ware frozen. We get the same battery life.

Last edited:
OP
G

Grassi

Reaction score
What app do you use to freeze bloat ware ? And if I root my d4 will I still be able to update the phone, and if not is there an easy way to unroot and get the update, then re root ?

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Root the phone, download titanium backup pro, and freeze apps per the list in the Hacks forum.When the update comes, unfreeze everything so you can apply the update.Easy.

MECHANO

Reaction score
Has anyone ran a stock D3 with the official extended battery against a stock D4? I want the D4, but i would need for it to at least get the same battery life as the extended D3.

Garlick

Reaction score
Has anyone ran a stock D3 with the official extended battery against a stock D4? I want the D4, but i would need for it to at least get the same battery life as the extended D3.

You're never going to get the same battery life here on a D4, unless you run 3G all the time, which is pointless, as then the only benefit of the 4 is the keyboard update & some minor speed enhancements.

With 4G, you're going to kill your battery life, that's just how 4G works.

If you're looking for a long life battery, go D3 with extended battery, and you'll be good. That's not a bad phone, the D3, and if you root and install CM9 you'll have a very good device.

B-Unit

Reaction score
If you have 4G in your area, its a no brainer, go with the D4. In a 3G market, its a tougher choice. I personally would spend the extra $$ for more RAM and an eventual ICS update, but the D3 is a very solid device and likely available for free.

moccor

Reaction score
Everyone should take into consideration user reviews on a phone before spending hundreds of dollars. The Droid 3 'looks' like a good phone. But what everyone is missing is the large amount of claims that the keyboard just sucks completely. If your buying a phone for the keyboard, you want the keyboard to last until your next upgrade right? Not gonna happen with the Droid 3. So if you consider the Droid 3 and removed the Droid 4 from your options, consider a non-qwerty over the Droid 3, because it'll be smaller with a bigger screen.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone should take into consideration user reviews on a phone before spending hundreds of dollars. The Droid 3 'looks' like a good phone. But what everyone is missing is the large amount of claims that the keyboard just sucks completely. If your buying a phone for the keyboard, you want the keyboard to last until your next upgrade right? Not gonna happen with the Droid 3. So if you consider the Droid 3 and removed the Droid 4 from your options, consider a non-qwerty over the Droid 3, because it'll be smaller with a bigger screen.

The D3 hard keyboard is widely regarded as one of the best keyboards available. I don't know where you got that information.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

moccor

Reaction score
The D3 hard keyboard is widely regarded as one of the best keyboards available. I don't know where you got that information.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

Reviews on Verizons website. I looked through many, cuz I actually ordered the phone, but there was some confusion so I couldn't get it. So I'm with the D4. Only reason I considered the Droid 3 was to wait for the keyboard to go bad and complain about the many reviews of the keyboard breaking, just to get a Droid 4 hahaha.

wildride89

Reaction score
Well if you were waiting on that you were going to be waiting a while. I've had zero issues with my d3.