My company messed me over! Please advise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfloyd87

Reaction score
Hi guys. I was with a company that paid for my work phone. They issued us company BlackBerrys. I went ahead and purchased a Verizon Motorola Droid X with my own money because it made me more productive in the field and I felt sacrificing my own money to do so was worth it for me. I got let go from the company recently and that's fine if they keep the cell phone number; I don't want it. However, I'm trying to swap the phone over to a new number and Verizon is saying the company has to release the phone (the actual handset) out of the company before anyone can ESN swap it over to another number and have it ever be usable. My company and I left on bad terms so they won't return my calls or emails and just like I expected, there's no way they would cooperate with me.

Is there anyway I can hack/unlock/undo/etc... the problem here and get this phone working with a new number? I have no idea so I thought I'd ask you guys. I tried doing a search but didn't come up with any results. Please help!! Thanks.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, you'll have to get in touch with the company. No other way around it.

GDP

Reaction score
I would just wait a while. As soon as they put a different phone on that line, your ESN will be clear and you can put that phone on your own account. I'm sure they will either cancel the line or put a different phone on it soon because it is costing them money.

illmatic636

Reaction score
Hi guys. I was with a company that paid for my work phone. They issued us company BlackBerrys. I went ahead and purchased a Verizon Motorola Droid X with my own money because it made me more productive in the field and I felt sacrificing my own money to do so was worth it for me. I got let go from the company recently and that's fine if they keep the cell phone number; I don't want it. However, I'm trying to swap the phone over to a new number and Verizon is saying the company has to release the phone (the actual handset) out of the company before anyone can ESN swap it over to another number and have it ever be usable. My company and I left on bad terms so they won't return my calls or emails and just like I expected, there's no way they would cooperate with me.

Is there anyway I can hack/unlock/undo/etc... the problem here and get this phone working with a new number? I have no idea so I thought I'd ask you guys. I tried doing a search but didn't come up with any results. Please help!! Thanks.

your company obviously left a balance on your account. Pay off your bill, and they will release the phone.

Otherwise, put the phone on Ebay and ship it over seas. You'll get like 200 bucks for it.

Good luck.

Natey2

Reaction score
If you feel they owe you something (unpaid, etc.), contact your State Labor Department.

Rule #1 when working as an employee of a company:
Always know what's yours and what's theirs. Don't share or co-own anything with them.

If using your own device, people should have their own service and own phone number directly from the carrier. Just submit the monthly bill for reimbursement, and everything else is yours alone.

If company-provided device like BlackBerry, be prepared to return it on immediate notice with everything on it. Nothing is yours, including its phone number and storage contents.

An emerging alternative is an app like "Good for Enterprise". Installed on your device, but its related (corporate) assets are managed by the IT Department. They can delete their assets on your device, even remotely, whenever they decide to.

R.I.P. Blackberry...

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

born2golf

Reaction score
I know this doesn't solve your current problem, but this is another good reason to use Google voice. Going forward I would suggest using google voice as your primary inbound number so that the actual number on the phone is irrelevant to your callers. And you own the google voice number.

Lastly, I don't want to sound like a preaching dad here, but this is also a reason not to burn bridges. Though I do understand that in some cases it is unavoidable, due to the other parties actions not your own.

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with a former employer.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First of all, yes you might have bought the phone and put it on their corporate account. They own the lines, you should have made some sort of deal with them that if you leave the company it becomes yours. Well, you didn't, and as far as VZW is concerned your company put the phone on the line, and it's your companies line and their property. For those who aren't as familiar there's "Employee Liable" which means it's your account but you get a corporate discount and there are Corporate Accounts, that the O.P. apparently has. The corporation pays for the account each month and own the lines. Since you left on bad terms, it's not VZW's fault, it's between you and company. They're not going to release it for who knows what reason between you and employer. So, you're asking how to hack the phone or sell it on eBay. Because of all of this, and DF does NOT advocate stealing, deception or hacking phones (like stolen ones), this thread is closed.

To the O.P. if you further ask for help with illegal activity involving this phone on DroidForums, you will be banned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.