Music Player -- No way to EXIT and stop them from running ?

spaberlejr

Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something but after using the Google Music Player and trying PowerAmp, it seems there is no way to exit these applications and stop them from running in the backround --- pausing the music and then having to go a task manager to kill the task seems cumbersome.

As I say -- I hope I am missing something. Why is there no option to EXIT out of the applications built in ? :confused:

eidian

Reaction score
Try backing out of the app after you've stopped playing the track--not just stopping. I think that's what I did with Google Music.

Running rooted ICS

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
Try backing out of the app after you've stopped playing the track--not just stopping. I think that's what I did with Google Music.

Running rooted ICS

+1 I don't really listen to music on my phone but my husband does for hours and hours on end... I am the one that always has to sample the players for him and find something I think will work best for him.

most the players I have sampled/tried I had to use the back option after pausing/stopping the music depending on the player. There was one or 2 that after you stopped the music you could use the menu button to exit out of the app...

OP
spaberlejr

spaberlejr

Reaction score

Running rooted ICS
Define "backing out" for me -- do you mean hitting the return "key" ( the one just to the right of the home "key" ? )

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Just how Android does things, they keep programs in memory so they will load faster next time. If it really bothers you to shut it off you can use the built in task manager as you mentioned, but it will probably just turn itself back on.

These phones have quite a few triggers for certain apps to come on automatically, so that is why auto task killers are advised against because they will just sit in a cycle of your phone turning it on and the task killer turning it off and so on.

Last edited:

eidian

Reaction score
Define "backing out" for me -- do you mean hitting the return "key" ( the one just to the right of the home "key" ? )

You got it. That worked with a couple of players that I've tried. FWIW, I use Amazon's mp3 player with great satisfaction.

And Mystical brought up a good point in that some players have an Exit option when you hit the Menu button.

Running rooted ICS

eidian

Reaction score
Just how Android does things, they keep programs in memory so they will load faster next time. If it really bothers you to shut it off you can use the built in task manager, but it will probably just turn itself back on.

These phones have quite a few triggers for certain apps to come on automatically, so that is why auto task killers are advised against because they will just sit in a cycle of your phone turning it on and the task killer turning it off and so on.

I might be wrong but what I think that what the OP is referring to is that the music apps are literally running in the background even though no music is playing (you can see the app's icon in the notification bar). I noticed that once with Google Music I think.

I don't think that Dalvic cache is the issue here.

Running rooted ICS

Last edited:
OP
spaberlejr

spaberlejr

Reaction score
+1 I don't really listen to music on my phone but my husband does for hours and hours on end... I am the one that always has to sample the players for him and find something I think will work best for him.

most the players I have sampled/tried I had to use the back option after pausing/stopping the music depending on the player. There was one or 2 that after you stopped the music you could use the menu button to exit out of the app...

Which players you tried have the EXIT option from the menu ?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I might be wrong but what I think that what the OP is referring to is that the music apps are literally running in the background even though no music is playing (you can see the app's icon in the notification bar). I noticed that once with Google Music I think.

I don't think that Dalvic cache is the issue here.

Running rooted ICS

Ah ok, thought he just wanted to program to actually shutdown and not be sitting in suspended state (with no status bar notifications). I use UberMusic and I just pause the song and keeping hitting the back button and it goes away from the status bar. Of course it is still actually there in the background, which is where the task manager comes into play.

For you root users, a program called AutoStarts is a very interesting tool. You really start to see just how many triggers there are for apps to come on automatically without you wanting them to.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!

Honestly I wish I had kept notes on all the different players and what we liked and disliked about them. Winamp has a menu exit option and n7player has settings you can change for exit options. I think PowerAmp had a setting option as well. Double Twist does not have an exit option, it is a back out (the lil loop arrow to the right of the menu) PlayerPro had some nice features but I don't remember the exit. Car Tunes had some settings but I dont remember if there was an exit setting.

I don't have access to his phone right now. Sorry just going off very lil memory info.

ELf67

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One
Maybe I am missing something but after using the Google Music Player and trying PowerAmp, it seems there is no way to exit these applications and stop them from running in the backround --- pausing the music and then having to go a task manager to kill the task seems cumbersome.

As I say -- I hope I am missing something. Why is there no option to EXIT out of the applications built in ? :confused:
It's simple;
1- Open Amazon MP3 Player (if not currently opened)
2- At the bottom center of your display "tap" the vertical 3 dots
3- Select "Clear Player"
This will stop/turn off the player but the display will still be on the MP3 but will not be in your active apps bar and will go away once you leave the screen

DerDok

Reaction score
yep...clearing the que on the 3 dot menu, is the only way i found to stop it, no exit on my 3 dot menu, (on my optimus zone 2)