Music in Universal Search

jdubbs23

Reaction score
The Droid commercials show that in the Google Universal Search bar you could search for a song you have on my SD card, and it will show up in the search results and take you directly to the Music application to play the song.

I've searched for music songs and artists I have on my SD card, and none of the results in the universal search are for my files.

Does anyone else have this problem or know how to get my music indexed for the universal search?

OP
J

jdubbs23

Reaction score
Just in case anyone was curious, I figured this out.

In the Settings menu there is a category for Search. Within this you can choose "Searchable Items" and select a variety of things like Contacts, Browser, Apps, Youtube, MUSIC, etc. I guess by default my searchable items did not include Music. I checked this and now it works as I see in the commercials.

nunka

Reaction score
Just in case anyone was curious, I figured this out.

In the Settings menu there is a category for Search. Within this you can choose "Searchable Items" and select a variety of things like Contacts, Browser, Apps, Youtube, MUSIC, etc. I guess by default my searchable items did not include Music. I checked this and now it works as I see in the commercials.

Really? Because even with the "Music" option checked in that menu, none of my mp3s show up in the search suggestions no matter what I search for...

Edit: Okay, never mind... I was wrong. Apparently it does search my music, but all the music results are at the very bottom below search suggestions, and it takes an extra step or two to get to them.

OP
J

jdubbs23

Reaction score
For some reason, you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the quick search results, and you should see an option for "More results: Music: #" where # is the # of results found within your Music. Click this "More results" and it'll show you the local Music results and take you to the Music app.

EDIT: Haha I just read your edit after my post.

nunka

Reaction score
For some reason, you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the quick search results, and you should see an option for "More results: Music: #" where # is the # of results found within your Music. Click this "More results" and it'll show you the local Music results and take you to the Music app.

EDIT: Haha I just read your edit after my post.

Yeah, the only way to get to music results without having to scroll all the way down is to deselect all other options for the search... which kind of sucks, but I guess that's the price we pay for a global search.