Searchable Items all checked - Droid searches web only

datacreek

Reaction score
Searchable Items all checked - Droid searches web only
Now I'm frustrated. I've got to be missing something and it's driving me nuts.

Voice searches will not find my mp3s. Will find contacts but other than contacts, nada. Everything is checked under Searchable Items. I have a folder named "Music" on my SD card where my songs are. (typical)
I have set and reset items and then power cycled several times.

Still will not return songs in a search.
I have tried the search widget and the voice search widget.

I read somewhere that others had this problem and had to scroll down to the bottom of the results page to find #song on droid.

I don't see that. I do see "Web" at the top left of results with a standard looking search result page. The bottom of the page has other suggestions and the numbered pages to nav to.

I've cleared search history. I've cleared defaults where it seemed to make sense.

All I get is "Web" results. Am I missing something.
I use Meridian music player but I wouldn't think that would interfere with a google search. It's not even running. I also use the Dolphin browser but it is not opened for voice search results. So what's up?

I've searched the forums and have found only similar topics and the above mentioned (scrolling to bottom of page) but nothing I've read has helped.

Any ideas?

acepelon

Reaction score
This seems to be a fairly common problem. Right now I can't make the voice search find anything but web results even though I have the search settings configured correctly. I have seen posters say to take out the battery and put it back in and everything starts working. I hate that I don't use this great feature, but I will not until it works at least most of the time. When you have 100+ apps, which is common I guess, no matter what you use to organize them, voice search is faster.

OP
D

datacreek

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that powering down works (reboots) the same as pulling the battery. You only need to pull the battery if the OS freezes.

I can't believe there have been no replies with what might be going on to cause this. I mean this is one of the functions that is heavily touted in "Droid Does".
Also this is probably a variant of Google Desktop which I've been using for quite a while so you would think the software would be mature.

From "voice dialer" I can open an app or find/call a contact but from "voice search" all I ever get is a web search. And it's a web search for sure... there is no "more results" at the bottom of the page. There is only search suggestions, sponsored ad, and further pages. The top of the results page says "web" and that's what it is.

I have searched this forum and the Android Forum but can't find an answer. Would a factory reset work? I'd rather find a simpler method. I'm really astounded that no one has responded with a solution or at least some input/suggestions/questions/direction at all.
I mean, c'mon, this is one of the "major" functions of the OS/phone.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that powering down works (reboots) the same as pulling the battery. You only need to pull the battery if the OS freezes.

I can't believe there have been no replies with what might be going on to cause this. I mean this is one of the functions that is heavily touted in "Droid Does".
Also this is probably a variant of Google Desktop which I've been using for quite a while so you would think the software would be mature.

From "voice dialer" I can open an app or find/call a contact but from "voice search" all I ever get is a web search. And it's a web search for sure... there is no "more results" at the bottom of the page. There is only search suggestions, sponsored ad, and further pages. The top of the results page says "web" and that's what it is.

I have searched this forum and the Android Forum but can't find an answer. Would a factory reset work? I'd rather find a simpler method. I'm really astounded that no one has responded with a solution or at least some input/suggestions/questions/direction at all.
I mean, c'mon, this is one of the "major" functions of the OS/phone.

Yeah, the voice-search isn't doing everything it should, IMHO. But for contacts, for example, I say "call <name> at home" or whatever, and it always finds the name and dials for me. The music thing, I have no solution for, unfortunately.

brendanstl

Reaction score
I'm having the same prob, mine always goes to the web and in order to call someone through voice search I have to say "call" before their name. The commercial shows it working just fine.