Multimedia dock charges but does not put phone into dock mode

garyhesq

Reaction score
I just got the dock and it enters dock mode ok but the screen still shuts off after the normal idle time. I would have thought the screen would stay on while it's docked. Any of you guys having this problem?

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just got the dock and it enters dock mode ok but the screen still shuts off after the normal idle time. I would have thought the screen would stay on while it's docked. Any of you guys having this problem?
screen only stays on if you have the cable plugged into the wall charger.

garyhesq

Reaction score

Interesting, I had it plugged into a USB port and it was shutting off. I plugged it into a wall socket and now it's staying on. Thanks!! I wonder what the difference is? It's charging either way.

cuskit

Reaction score

Interesting, I had it plugged into a USB port and it was shutting off. I plugged it into a wall socket and now it's staying on. Thanks!! I wonder what the difference is? It's charging either way.
I've know mine stays on when plugged into AC. Haven't tried the USB/computer yet - but just now plugged it in to my computer and placed it on MIKRADLE. I'll get back to you in @10 minutes to let you know if mine reacts the same as yours. I would have thought the same as you since it is charging.

I have noticed in the past that if I mount my SD card - the phone DOES sleep after the normal period of time, and dismounts from my computer "illegally". At that point, all of my USB devices (including keyboard) freeze up since the computer (Apple Mac G5 Tower) interprets this as an "improper dismount". I then need to restart the computer to restore USB capabilities.

But you are referring to USB connection without mounting (I am assuming). Which as I said, I've just done as an experiment. Also wondering the difference between AC and USB charging. I would have thought both would keep the Droid awake. Hmmm.

Back in ten minutes! ;)

cuskit

Silver Member
Reaction score

500mAh/550mAh vs. 1100mAh being provided from the wall. find a way to get 1000+ mAh from your PC and it will stay on.

garyhesq

Reaction score
I guess that explains why the wall charger is so much faster than the USB charger!

cuskit

Reaction score
Okay - experiment done! My droid, plugged into my Apple G5 Tower USB connector, while sitting on MIKRADLE dock, does NOT sleep. It has stayed charging now for well over an hour without sleeping - same as if it were plugged into my AC charger.

So - not sure why Garyhesq does not have the same results. Something is different here. MIKRADLE dock is utilizing the original USB cable that came with the phone, so his Dock vs MIKRADLE should have no difference. I'd say it must be something with his phone. Or.... my USB is plugged directly into my USB2.0 connection on the computer - full power. Perhaps he is not plugged into a full power USB connector (such as into a keyboard or monitor usb connection)? This could be the answer. Waiting for his reply.

cuskit

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay - experiment done! My droid, plugged into my Apple G5 Tower USB connector, while sitting on MIKRADLE dock, does NOT sleep. It has stayed charging now for well over an hour without sleeping - same as if it were plugged into my AC charger.

So - not sure why Garyhesq does not have the same results. Something is different here. MIKRADLE dock is utilizing the original USB cable that came with the phone, so his Dock vs MIKRADLE should have no difference. I'd say it must be something with his phone. Or.... my USB is plugged directly into my USB2.0 connection on the computer - full power. Perhaps he is not plugged into a full power USB connector (such as into a keyboard or monitor usb connection)? This could be the answer. Waiting for his reply.

cuskit
the dock has nothing to do with it, unless you dock is powered (and the moto one is not). USB standards are only 500mAh of power. you need 1000+ to keep the phone awake.

cuskit

Reaction score

cuskit
the dock has nothing to do with it, unless you dock is powered (and the moto one is not). USB standards are only 500mAh of power. you need 1000+ to keep the phone awake.
As stated, my USB does NOT sleep my Droid... It's plugged into MacG5 USB 2.0 directly on machine. Why, if as you say this is not possible? Curious only - I'm not USB power literate. So - go easy on me! ;)

cuskit

Silver Member
Reaction score
is the USB port on the front of the machine or the back? my guess is the port is powered somehow.

RolandOG

Reaction score
I have a question for those of you using the MM charger. I turned my screen off in the charger last night using the power button. This morning I pulled the Droid out of the charger, hit the power button and when woke it up it was on one of the settings sub-menus. Is that normal? Phone is working perfectly, but I'm not sure why that happened. Anyone else experience this?

Silver Member
Reaction score
are you sure you didn't EVER open the settings menu? i find that if i check the battery status before putting it in the dock (even if i hit home before doing so) that i'll end up back at the settings screen when i pull it off.

not a big deal.

RolandOG

Reaction score
are you sure you didn't EVER open the settings menu? i find that if i check the battery status before putting it in the dock (even if i hit home before doing so) that i'll end up back at the settings screen when i pull it off.

not a big deal.

No, it was on the homescreen, then I put it in the dock. It switched to dock mode and I hit the button to turn off the display. Unless it keeps happening I'm not going to worry about it.

garyhesq

Reaction score

cuskit

I was using the front USB port on a newer Dell PC. Is the Apple USB power output spec the same? In any case, once I get it at my home it will be plugged into a wall so it's not an issue for me.

Silver Member
Reaction score
maybe you fat-fingered the screen when you picked it up?