movies

ruinah

Reaction score
have you all actually tried playing videos on the xoom? I haven't had a single video work yet. I mostly encode divx from dvd as 700mb files are a lot easier on the storage but none of them work. I am encoding one now to see if I can chop it down and try to fit the format they want but I'm disappointed. I tried rockplayer, basically force closed every video on me. Gallery played like 2 videos but they were not only choppy they had no sound.

I don't mind converting stuff but I need to find the right format.

Yup. I'm using my iTunes digital copies, as I mentioned before. They play perfectly. I think the Xoom is picking the AAC audio track. They contain both AC3 and AAC audio. The video is h.264 and I'm using an mp4 container. I have a profile very similar to Apple's specs for their iTunes digital copies that I use in handbrake, but, I have NOT yet tried one of those to see if it works. Nonetheless, most of the movies I'd want to watch on the Xoom are going to be my iTunes digital copies. And so far, they work great.

would it be too much of a pain to ask you to list the settings for handbrake that work? Like I said, as long as I know what the output needs to be to make it work I don't mind the encoding. the i7 has nothing to do at night. All 8 cores waiting to procees video. :)

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
would it be too much of a pain to ask you to list the settings for handbrake that work? Like I said, as long as I know what the output needs to be to make it work I don't mind the encoding. the i7 has nothing to do at night. All 8 cores waiting to procees video. :)

Well, I still haven't had a chance to try one of my handbrake made files, so, I'm not positive they work. However, if I were you, I would try the Handbrake 0.95's iPhone 4 profile. (Yea, yea, I know, blasphemy :D) If that works you can TRY the iPad profile that has higher resolution but I think 960 res on the Xoom will be more than fine and will take up less space. That should be almost identical to what Apple uses for blu-ray digital copies, so, I can't see why it wouldn't work. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll try one out.

EDIT: I'm gonna try converting one of my blu-ray MKV backups to the iPad profile on Handbrake 0.95. I'll run the conversion overnight and see how it plays on the Xoom in the morning. The res is a bit insane but, maybe it'll be nice for tablets.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
P.S. I'm PROBABLY going to make a new profile in Video ReDo to output files for the Xoom. I'll work with the VRD developers to find the right profile. They created one for the Droid that works great. That is another option. It's what I'll be using to convert my TV shows, but, for blu-rays, it's not really the best solution as it doesn't support HD audio conversion.

OP
S

scknoll123

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I will keep trying everything to get some DVDs on the xoom

bdholsin

Reaction score
I use Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate for all my movies that I own. Use the general video format and convert to an. Mp4 format. After conversion, copy to the Xoom and you're golden.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums