Movie file format

Gryffen Spark

Reaction score
What format do movies need to be in in order to play on my droid x without having to buy an app?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
G

Gryffen Spark

Reaction score
Thanks. I tried .avi format but out didn't work so well. You know of anything that'll play that?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. I tried .avi format but out didn't work so well. You know of anything that'll play that?

If you get a program called Rockplayer it also does other video formats that i haven't been able to get the main app to play.

jonecat

Reaction score

If you get a program called Rockplayer it also does other video formats that i haven't been able to get the main app to play.

The only problem with Rock Player I have found is battery life (it kills it fast), it is my understanding is that it uses the CPU to decode the video, as opposed to the hardware video decoder in the phone.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

The only problem with Rock Player I have found is battery life (it kills it fast), it is my understanding is that it uses the CPU to decode the video, as opposed to the hardware video decoder in the phone.

You can set it for either. When you first get into the program it asks you which to use, you can also go back in at any time and set it for hardware decoding in the menu settings.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
+1 about the decoding! (actually I have to say that I never knew what it was asking me....I think I've been alternating)

I like Rockplayer bc it does not have all of the screen swipe shortcuts like vplayer has. Rockplayer has been my go-to from day 1!

OP
G

Gryffen Spark

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. That works really well, am using it all the time now, saves me converting them at home to .mpg now.