Movies on the Droid X

cincycats51

Reaction score
I am a big movie guy, and I have alot of .mkv file bluerays on my computer...

Now to get them to any storage device, I have to format the flash drive to exFat in order for the device to "fit" on the drive...

I have something like 14.7 GB free on my Droid, and I try to put the .mkv file onto my phone, but I get the same error as if I didnt format my flash drive, which is "this file is too big for the destination" when it clearly is not.

Any ideas?

KevinWP

Reaction score
IIRC SDHC (With Fat32) has a file size limitation of 4gb. If your Blueray mkv files are larger than this... that is your problem.

Linux supports SDXC (with exFat) which has a much larger file size limitation, and an Android driver was licensed last month.

There are no SDXC MicroSD cards yet. I have seen no statements assuring Droid/DX usability of this newer format, even though it is electrically the same.

If :icon_ banana:the drivers can be added, and if :icon_ banana:the phone can read it, and if :icon_ banana:they make a microSD SDXC card of 64GB (or larger) then you can probably copy those files larger than 4gb over.

(And IF :icon_ banana: they ever sell for less than $100.00 I'll buy one too)

The bad news is that out of the box... My DX does not play Mkv files (or at least the one 30 second test file I made with Handbrake).

You might need additional software on the DX or you may need to convert the mkv files to mp4.

I can report that the phone plays back mp4's made by Handbrake (from a variety of sources) very well in the gallery app. I don't have an HD TV to test the HDMI out... but I expect that will work just fine as well since it is playing in the native gallery app.