Motorola Tweets Older Devices (like Bionic, Droid 3, DX2) Will NOT Get Unlock Tool

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
sargentmajord said:
U couldnt unlock the bootloader if u tried its been permanently locked do u a tripped Efuse right out of the TI manufacturing plant only moto engineer bionics do not have this Efuse tripped

Proof of this please.

Sent from my frozenly delicious DROID BIONIC.

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
The thing that makes me laugh is that the bionic is considered an older device. Is not even a year old that's rediculous that its considered that old. It should still be getting all the updates.

The D3 isnt much older. it was released in July on 2011 where as the Bionic was September I believe.

B

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's really no other reasonable explanation other than simply to sell newer units, and I don't think that's the motivation since the "current" phones, RAZR, RAZR MAXX, D4 and future phones will likely get it.

I agreed with nearly every part of your post except this excerpt. I don't think the Razr, Maxx, or D4 will get it. As of now only the Photon Q, Xoom, and Developer Razr is listed. The Xoom and Razr already have unlockable bootloaders and can be unlocked through fastboot. I'd be willing to bet that the phones they add to the list will be phones that haven't been released yet. I could be wrong, but Verizon doesn't want many unlocked bootloaders on the network and top selling devices like the Razr and Maxx could increase that dramatically.

Joshw0000

Reaction score
I agreed with nearly every part of your post except this excerpt. I don't think the Razr, Maxx, or D4 will get it. As of now only the Photon Q, Xoom, and Developer Razr is listed. The Xoom and Razr already have unlockable bootloaders and can be unlocked through fastboot. I'd be willing to bet that the phones they add to the list will be phones that haven't been released yet. I could be wrong, but Verizon doesn't want many unlocked bootloaders on the network and top selling devices like the Razr and Maxx could increase that dramatically.

Has Verizon officially stated that they don't want unlocked bootloaders? I don't see much negative impact it could have (over rooted phones which all smart phones can do). If people are bricking devices, that comes out of the manufacturer's pocket, not Verizon (assuming they replace it).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Has Verizon officially stated that they don't want unlocked bootloaders? I don't see much negative impact it could have (over rooted phones which all smart phones can do). If people are bricking devices, that comes out of the manufacturer's pocket, not Verizon (assuming they replace it).

Forgone conclusion. Why was Verizon's SIII the only locked SIII? Because Verizon doesn't want many unlocked boot loaders because people get around tether charge.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Joshw0000

Reaction score
Forgone conclusion. Why was Verizon's SIII the only locked SIII? Because Verizon doesn't want many unlocked boot loaders because people get around tether charge.

I honestly can't speak on that one, although it's now unlocked...so problem solved. In defense, the G'Nex was released unlocked. And free wifi tether is possible on any Android or Iphone and always has been. The only solution to that was to limit data consumption which they will have successfully completed once they weed all of us grandfathered unlimited folks out. Notice on the "shared" plan that Verizon is offering free wifi tethering on even stock devices. They want those users to burn through data now.

Edit: Also note that the S3 is not a "Nexus" so by definition it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be unlocked. Only the Nexus line HAS to be unlockable by default to remain Google's flagship.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I honestly can't speak on that one, although it's now unlocked...so problem solved. In defense, the G'Nex was released unlocked. And free wifi tether is possible on any Android or Iphone and always has been. The only solution to that was to limit data consumption which they will have successfully completed once they weed all of us grandfathered unlimited folks out. Notice on the "shared" plan that Verizon is offering free wifi tethering on even stock devices. They want those users to burn through data now.

Edit: Also note that the S3 is not a "Nexus" so by definition it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be unlocked. Only the Nexus line HAS to be unlockable by default to remain Google's flagship.

The Nexus line has nothing to do with this. The SIII was unlockable from the beginning on every other carrier. Verizon stated awhile ago they would try to release one unlocked device per year (Galaxy Nexus) but I don't count on that again. And they are only offering free tethering on the shared plans because the government is making them. Also even though they are unblocked, the tethering apps don't always work. Foxfi is known to have issues for example.

Joshw0000

Reaction score
The Nexus line has nothing to do with this. Verizon stated awhile ago they would try to release one unlocked device per year (Galaxy Nexus). And they are only offering free tethering on the shared plans because the government is making them. Also even though they are unblocked, the tethering apps don't always work. Foxfi is known to have issues for example.

Link please?

Free tethering should be enabled in the phone settings, not Foxfi, for shared data plans.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Link please?

Free tethering should be enabled in the phone settings, not Foxfi, for shared data plans.

That's what I just said. Shared data plans have tethering included but only due to Verizon's LTE C Block agreement.

Joshw0000

Reaction score
That's what I just said. Shared data plans have tethering included but only due to Verizon's LTE C Block agreement.

That wasn't my question. A rooted phone can tether regardless. I've never had a phone I couldn't tether from.

When/where did Verizon announce they would be releasing one unlocked phone per year?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
That wasn't my question. A rooted phone can tether regardless. I've never had a phone I couldn't tether from.

When/where did Verizon announce they would be releasing one unlocked phone per year?

I remember reading that at some point but I could be mistaken. On my phone so I can't really provide a link anyway. But that's irrelevant to the discussion. Look at the SIII example I gave. Why else would it be locked?

And is an unlockable phone not vastly easier to root than a locked phone?

Joshw0000

Reaction score
I remember reading that at some point but I could be mistaken. On my phone so I can't really provide a link anyway. But that's irrelevant to the discussion. Look at the SIII example I gave. Why else would it be locked?

And is an unlockable phone not vastly easier to root than a locked phone?

I can't speak for Samsung on that one but I've found no definitive article to who's choice it was to lock it. Again, it's unlocked now and the G'Nex was not locked.

I couldn't tell you one way or another about rooting. The tools made available to me to root are equally easy. Take for example the Transformer Prime TF201. Rooting has been a problem for quite a while. At one point there was no root for the current OTA which meant you had to downgrade it to root or unlock it, flash recovery, and rom it to get root.

Moto devices always seem to be easy to root. The same tools work for just about every Moto phone. Again, I don't know what happens behind the scenes, but to me it's easier.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
liftedplane said:
Proof of this please.

Sent from my frozenly delicious DROID BIONIC.

Multiple devs have stated this including hashcode an mattlegroff also look up the specs on the soc type from TI an its there also call them if u want they will say the something it was an added security feature for the chipset also talk to samuriHL the creator of the HOB for ics leaks he will tell u the same thing

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
The tools made available to me to root are equally easy.

Let me explain what is wrong with this line of thinking.

The tools ARE easy to use. However, they are only easy to use because of the hard and (typically) unrewarding work of talented developers. This isn't some magic tool that just decides it can avoid the locked bootloader and flash the superuser app to the system partition and inject the superuser binary into xbin and install busybox. The code to do all this must be injected through an exploit. An exploit that takes a lot of digging through code and hard work to find.

Moto devices always seem to be easy to root. The same tools work for just about every Moto phone.

That's because the recent Moto devices are near clones of one another. I even believe there are D4 and Bionic ROMs that can actually boot up on the Razr (not without issues but they will boot). And did you know the Bionic actually took several weeks to gain root? It's not as easy as these tools make it seem. Sorry for my rant, but most of the general community has no idea how hard it is to work around locked bootloaders.

Joshw0000

Reaction score
Let me explain what is wrong with this line of thinking.

The tools ARE easy to use. However, they are only easy to use because of the hard and (typically) unrewarding work of talented developers. This isn't some magic tool that just decides it can avoid the locked bootloader and flash the superuser app to the system partition and inject the superuser binary into xbin and install busybox. The code to do all this must be injected through an exploit. An exploit that takes a lot of digging through code and hard work to find.

That's because the recent Moto devices are near clones of one another. I even believe there are D4 and Bionic ROMs that can actually boot up on the Razr (not without issues but they will boot). And did you know the Bionic actually took several weeks to gain root? It's not as easy as these tools make it seem. Sorry for my rant, but most of the general community has no idea how hard it is to work around locked bootloaders.

Thank you for enlightening me ol' keeper of root knowledge. I had no idea what goes into rooting a phone.