Motorola Tweets Older Devices (like Bionic, Droid 3, DX2) Will NOT Get Unlock Tool

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
twitter-old-droids-no-unlock-tool.png

Here's some sad news that came late yesterday in a Tweet from Motorola. Apparently, older devices are not going to get access to Moto's new Unlock Tool. This includes devices like the Bionic, the Droid 3, the DX2 and more. They didn't specify what constitutes an "older" device, so we don't have anything more specific than the above mentioned devices. Right now the only thing we do know for sure is that the Xoom, Photon Q 4G LTE, and the European RAZR Developer Edition are the only devices supported. We will do some digging and see if we can find out more.

Source: Android.net via Twitter

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
This is unexpected??

The bootloader would have to be remade and pushed out to devices currently on locked bootloaders as only devices with unlockable bootloaders are even listed (Xoom, Razr Developer, PhotonQ).

BJPalmer85

Reaction score
This is unexpected??

The bootloader would have to be remade and pushed out to devices currently on locked bootloaders as only devices with unlockable bootloaders are even listed (Xoom, Razr Developer, PhotonQ).

not unexpected no. all the same i still dont like it

B

skennelly

Reaction score
I think everyone knew this would be the case. Not surprising.

Sent from my SCH-I535

welsalex

Reaction score
Definitely not surprised. It has nothing to do with Motos ability to do it, as you know somewhere on motos private file server the tools to unlock any phone/device exist. Rather its a corporate strategy to push sales of newer devices as well as carrier pressure to keep as many locked down as possible.

Joshw0000

Reaction score
Definitely not surprised. It has nothing to do with Motos ability to do it, as you know somewhere on motos private file server the tools to unlock any phone/device exist. Rather its a corporate strategy to push sales of newer devices as well as carrier pressure to keep as many locked down as possible.

+1

Any bootloader can be unlocked with the right info from the manufacturer. But why unlock bootloaders on existing devices and make the crackflashers appreciate their current device when you can sell them new ones that they know are readily unlockable.

I figure in the next few years, when current phones are severely outdated, an unlock will be made available for them. Sorta like HTC did with all of their 2011 devices....just much older for Motorola devices.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
+1

Any bootloader can be unlocked with the right info from the manufacturer. But why unlock bootloaders on existing devices and make the crackflashers appreciate their current device when you can sell them new ones that they know are readily unlockable.

I figure in the next few years, when current phones are severely outdated, an unlock will be made available for them. Sorta like HTC did with all of their 2011 devices....just much older for Motorola devices.

what about the possibility of finding a workable unlock hack instead of just kexec although kexec is exactly that right? I'm honestly not that worried about it as it we are getting work arounds now... is it more difficult? yes will it help keep idiots from trying because there is so muc to do? maybe a little, if anything it will scare them more. I really want a razr only because I want to try kexec, I've been trying to convince my wife to let me do it on her's :happy3::biggrin:

Joshw0000

Reaction score
what about the possibility of finding a workable unlock hack instead of just kexec although kexec is exactly that right? I'm honestly not that worried about it as it we are getting work arounds now... is it more difficult? yes will it help keep idiots from trying because there is so muc to do? maybe a little, if anything it will scare them more. I really want a razr only because I want to try kexec, I've been trying to convince my wife to let me do it on her's :happy3::biggrin:

I haven't followed kexec as close as some others but I believe it's still only running one core which seems to me like it would slow the phone down rather than speed it up. From what I do know about it is that it doesn't unlock the bootloader. It's able to hijack the kernel and run a custom kernel from boot. So while it will/should bring improvements to our phones I don't know how great those improvements will be.

I've never been one to flash different kernels (on unlocked devices) as I never seem to realize a noticeable difference. I quit overclocking my phones once I upgraded from the HTC Eris (absolutely required on that phone). I love the openness of unlocked phones in the fact that I can flash any radio to get better reception or different roms: MIUI, CM, AOSP, AOPK, Sense roms (most fully or almost fully functional), etc. I realize that most of these roms are available for Razr now but I haven't found a single non blur rom that consistently keeps data and mobile connection (big deal to me).

I love the build of Moto devices. They have less hardware issues, better battery, and better reception. Incorporate that with an unlocked bootloader....I'll make the jump when we get one on Verizon.

i can read

Reaction score
The thing that makes me laugh is that the bionic is considered an older device. Is not even a year old that's rediculous that its considered that old. It should still be getting all the updates.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
You know, the reason why older devices aren't getting the unlock MAY not be Motorola, but could be due to contract restrictions with Verizon. In other words, it may be that because Verizon was specific about the units not ever being able to be unlocked, this may actually prevent Motorola from doing so. As more and more pressure to unlock these phones mounts, the contracts for these newer phones may have had the clause in the contract to allow them to be unlocked under specific circumstances, and with details yet to follow. This would give them the room they need in the contracts to make it happen - as apparently they are doing now.

That doesn't mean however that Verizon and Motorola couldn't modify the original contracts with an addendum that releases this restriction. There's really no other reasonable explanation other than simply to sell newer units, and I don't think that's the motivation since the "current" phones, RAZR, RAZR MAXX, D4 and future phones will likely get it. That's just my theory, not basis in fact.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good point. And with the new data plan I would not be surprised that being why the sg3 was locked .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Joshw0000

Reaction score
You know, the reason why older devices aren't getting the unlock MAY not be Motorola, but could be due to contract restrictions with Verizon. In other words, it may be that because Verizon was specific about the units not ever being able to be unlocked, this may actually prevent Motorola from doing so. As more and more pressure to unlock these phones mounts, the contracts for these newer phones may have had the clause in the contract to allow them to be unlocked under specific circumstances, and with details yet to follow. This would give them the room they need in the contracts to make it happen - as apparently they are doing now.

That doesn't mean however that Verizon and Motorola couldn't modify the original contracts with an addendum that releases this restriction. There's really no other reasonable explanation other than simply to sell newer units, and I don't think that's the motivation since the "current" phones, RAZR, RAZR MAXX, D4 and future phones will likely get it. That's just my theory, not basis in fact.

You make a good point but I still believe that it lies primarily with Moto. Look at other carriers. Only a few phones come to mind that are unlockable (Droid 1 and Atrix). Droid 1 is Vzw and also Xoom 4G is Vzw. I think it has more to do with the Blur overlay. D1 and Xoom are both AOSP devices so perhaps that's the reason they are unlockable.

Maybe Moto has been taking notes from Asus. Unlock their bootloaders but keep on file who has done it so you can deny any warranty afterwards. Fair enough for me!

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
dgstorm said:
Here's some sad news that came late yesterday in a Tweet from Motorola. Apparently, older devices are not going to get access to Moto's new Unlock Tool. This includes devices like the Bionic, the Droid 3, the DX2 and more. They didn't specify what constitutes an "older" device, so we don't have anything more specific than the above mentioned devices. Right now the only thing we do know for sure is that the Xoom, Photon Q 4G LTE, and the European RAZR Developer Edition are the only devices supported. We will do some digging and see if we can find out more.

Source: Android.net via Twitter

U couldnt unlock the bootloader if u tried its been permanently locked do u a tripped Efuse right out of the TI manufacturing plant only moto engineer bionics do not have this Efuse tripped