Motorola sold 2.7 million smartphones, earned $167 million in Q2

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
8xst1v.jpg

Today, Motorola announced its second quarter report of 2010, and thanks to strong smartphone sales and improved brand image, earned a cool $167 million in Q2, or $0.07 per share. This is much improved compared to Q2 of 2009, where Motorola only earned $26 million. Ironically enough, mobile sales in total were down 6% to $1.7 billion, when compared to last year's Q2. Furthermore, during the second quarter of 2010, Motorola managed to sell 2.7 million smartphones, and 8.3 million mobile handsets in total.

Motorola's recent highlights include a successful launches of its Droid X, i1 (first push-to-talk smartphone), FlipOut, and Charm, as well as the launch of its SHOP4APP app market in multiple countries. Here's Sanjay Jha, CEO of Motorola Mobility, on the matter:

"The Droid X launch has been very well received and is seen as one of the best smartphones in the market today with a 4.3 inch high-resolution display, Adobe flash and an 8 megapixel camera. As we continue to execute on our business strategy, we are in a strong position to continue improving our share in the rapidly growing smartphone market and improving our operating performance," said Sanjay Jha, Motorola co-chief executive officer and CEO of Motorola Mobility. "The Mobile Devices and Home businesses remain focused on developing next-generation products to capitalize on the convergence of mobile experiences and home entertainment."
CEO Jha expects to have 20 smartphones on the market, and 12 to 14 million sold, by the end of the year.

Note, the Droid X was released in Q3, not Q2, so the Q2 earnings don't reflect Droid X sales. This will be found in the Q3 report.

via Android Central
Source: Motorola

Last edited:

kpiskin

Reaction score
I still don't have Adobe Flash on my X. Is there an update I am not aware of?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I still don't have Adobe Flash on my X. Is there an update I am not aware of?

haha nice catch. looks like CEO Jha misspoke there. but i'm sure 2.2 is coming soon, as you may have seen some people already running a 2.2 leaked version.

kpiskin

Reaction score
Did they mention any sales numbers besides the total number? Would be nice to know how many Xs have been sold.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did they mention any sales numbers besides the total number? Would be nice to know how many Xs have been sold.

in the Q2 report, that figure was not given. i'd like to know this as well...

kpiskin

Reaction score
Would also like to know how it compared to the Droid. I think the original got the ball rolling for Android, but the X might have sold faster so far.

markwebb

Reaction score
Would also like to know how it compared to the Droid. I think the original got the ball rolling for Android, but the X might have sold faster so far.
Actually, the sales figures reflect the continued sales of Original Droid; Droid X was not released in Q2.

Motorola only confirms Droid X is well received but those figures will appear in next quarter.

WSJ article is a bit clearer in this nuance.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, the sales figures reflect the continued sales of Original Droid; Droid X was not released in Q2.

Motorola only confirms Droid X is well received but those figures will appear in next quarter.

WSJ article is a bit clearer in this nuance.

very true, sorry for any confusion. the droid x was not launched until Q3, but as many companies do, Motorola used current information (of its droid x) in the Q2 report. But no, the Droid X sales are not reflected in the Q2 earnings figures.

markwebb

Reaction score
very true, sorry for any confusion. the droid x was not launched until Q3, but as many companies do, Motorola used current information (of its droid x) in the Q2 report. But no, the Droid X sales are not reflected in the Q2 earnings figures.

Not a problem! Glad to see Moto is doing well as well as Droid.

Motorola's Profit Surges

kpiskin

Reaction score
Analysts are pegging X sales at 300,000 so far according to marketwatch and other analysts.