Verizon Q2: Earnings Top Estimates; New CEO; iPhone Sales Slow

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-logo.jpg

Verizon just released their second quarter financial accounting presser, and it is chock full of interesting tidbits. A few of the "highlights" to take note of are:
  1. Verizon's earnings for this quarter rose higher than expected; Revenue was up to $27.5 Billion, a 2.8% gain over this time last year, and this revenue climb was 6.6% year-over-year.
  2. Sales of the Apple iPhone fueled some of that growth, but have since slowed in the second quarter.
  3. Ivan Sandberg will step down as CEO, and be replaced by Lowell McAdam; Sandberg, will be retained as chairman of the board.
  4. Verizon added 2.2 Million new customers in Q2, but interestingly, only 36% of new sales were smartphones.
Below is a link to the full press release, but be forewarned, it's a long one!

Source: Verizon Quarter 2 Earnings Full Press Release

Reaction score
Actually, I think it slowed down in Q2 becasue the 4G devices started coming out and it couldn't compete.

Latest Android phones with LTE > "Latest" iPhone. . . now in white!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I thought LTE would be a big selling point, and while it is for some I guess when you look at the average user hitting something like 500megs a month speed just isn't that valued by the average consumer. True, LTE availability has really taken off the last few months while the phone options still lag.

And of course IPhone sales have slowed. The IP5 is part of it, but most people waiting for the IPhone on VZW would have snatched one up the first month or two available.

And if only 36% of new subscribers are getting smartphones I'd say that adoption is slowing dramatically. $30 a month is pretty steep if it isn't something your really need or use. Without travel and my work emails, I'd probably have to consider that I don't use data enough to justify the $30.

Happystranger

Reaction score
I thought LTE would be a big selling point, and while it is for some I guess when you look at the average user hitting something like 500megs a month speed just isn't that valued by the average consumer. True, LTE availability has really taken off the last few months while the phone options still lag.

And of course IPhone sales have slowed. The IP5 is part of it, but most people waiting for the IPhone on VZW would have snatched one up the first month or two available.

And if only 36% of new subscribers are getting smartphones I'd say that adoption is slowing dramatically. $30 a month is pretty steep if it isn't something your really need or use. Without travel and my work emails, I'd probably have to consider that I don't use data enough to justify the $30.

+1...In all actually, I could care less about 4g and high quadrant scores. I don't really need a fast phone because I have a computer at home. You wanna impress me? Make a high quality phone that does what you need it to do...I had the Droid 1 and the X...very nice phones at the time, but in all honesty, no phone compares to the Iphone...and flash is overrated. Sorry.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score

+1...In all actually, I could care less about 4g and high quadrant scores. I don't really need a fast phone because I have a computer at home. You wanna impress me? Make a high quality phone that does what you need it to do...I had the Droid 1 and the X...very nice phones at the time, but in all honesty, no phone compares to the Iphone...and flash is overrated. Sorry.

Explain how no phone compares to the single core, 3G, 3.5 inch iPhone 4?

I am assuming the Dual 1.2 gHZ, 4G, super thin, 4.3 inch super Amoled + Galaxy S2 isn't as good?

Happystranger

Reaction score

I am assuming the Dual 1.2 gHZ, 4G, super thin, 4.3 inch super Amoled + Galaxy S2 isn't as good?

It's not just about hardware. Touchwiz blows. What's the point of having a fast, thin, big phone that you cant even stick in your pocket if the software is crap. Like I said, personally, I don't need more than "core" in my phone. I cant wait an extra 4.4 seconds for my web page to load..

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score

It's not just about hardware. Touchwiz blows. What's the point of having a fast, thin, big phone that you cant even stick in your pocket if the software is crap. Like I said, personally, I don't need more than "core" in my phone. I cant wait an extra 4.4 seconds for my web page to load..

Well thats the joy of android. I can use Launcher Pro, ADW, Go Launcher, SPB 3D, etc.

iOS blows. But I am stuck with it. And it fits fine in your pocket.

Maybe not in your skinny jeans.... :)

Happystranger

Reaction score

Well thats the joy of android. I can use Launcher Pro, ADW, Go Launcher, SPB 3D, etc.

iOS blows. But I am stuck with it. And it fits fine in your pocket.

Maybe not in your skinny jeans.... :)

The ladies love the 511's what are you talking about lol.