Motorola Sells 500,000 Moto X Devices; Is it an Epic Fail or a Solid Success?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moto-X-floating-angled.jpg

Strategy Analytics recently released their sales analysis of the Moto X for Motorola which resulted in a startling number. Apparently, in Q3 the Moto X sold 500,000 units. At first blush, these numbers seem terrible. When you consider that Apple sold 9 Million iPhone 5S devices in one weekend, and Samsung sold 10 Million Galaxy S4 devices in a month, then 500,000 is a minuscule amount.

However, this paltry number belies some statistics which haven't been factored. First, these sales figures do not account for a whole quarter, but are actually only for a five week period of time, based upon when the device launched in that quarter. Not only that, but the launch was actually limited to a couple of carriers at first and only in the US, which is a very limited release.

Now, contrast that with the LG G2 which is a very powerful and feature-rich device. Based upon current sales figures and LG's own estimates, they expect to sell 3 Million units of the G2 by the end of the year. This is for a device which launched in August in Korea, then went to 130 markets globally in September. The math on this comes out to about 500,000 units per month. The picture becomes a bit clearer now and the numbers for the Moto X don't look nearly as bad. Perhaps comparing the companies which operate at the same level is the better way to judge relative success.

It would be great to see bigger numbers than this from Moto, but the bottom line is they are selling the Moto X at a decent pace. Apple and Samsung spend literally billions on advertising, so it's going to be ridiculously hard to fight a Juggernaut like that. Perhaps Moto's idea to capture the mid-range and low-end market with the Moto X and the Moto G isn't too bad of a plan right now...

What do you guys think? Is the Moto X an unmitigated disaster or a surprisingly solid success in a really tough market?

Source: WSJ

Last edited:

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Motorola needs to sell these off contract for $199-249. Id imagine they would sell many, many more than they are through the carriers.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I think its a success based solely on the fact that it seems that only now are a mass amount of consumers starting to realize how awesome of a device the Moto X actually is. I think the Nexus 5 release helped solely for the fact that there is another "stock" android flagship on the market to compare it to. That's not a shot at the Nexus 5 at all by the way if that's how some take it. I sure wish I had one :biggrin:. It is the only other device on the market I would consider. Motorola is certainly onto something here though, even if it is just now starting to be universally realized.

Perhaps Moto's idea to capture the mid-range and low-end market with the Moto X and the Moto G isn't too bad of a plan right now...

I do disagree with this, however. After having some experience with all of the flagship devices available today, I feel that it severely discredits Motorola in calling the Moto X "mid-tier". The fact it has a base processor that's dual core is the only reason this phone is even labled as such. If everything is just as smooth (smoother in all of my experiences) and quick (in terms of navigating the UI and browsing) as the other flagship devices, what makes the Moto X "mid-tier"? My Moto X performs just as well as the other flagship devices (maybe aside from hardcore mobile gaming) for everyday use. I don't play games but even if I did, I would still go with the Moto X, even if just for the features, mostly stock android, and supreme fluidity throughout the entire UI that it offers.

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

acousticshade

Reaction score
I think its a success based solely on the fact that it seems that only now are a mass amount of consumers starting to realize how awesome of a device the Moto X actually is. I think the Nexus 5 release helped solely for the fact that there is another "stock" android flagship on the market to compare it to. That's not a shot at the Nexus 5 at all by the way if that's how some take it. I sure wish I had one :biggrin:. It is the only other device on the market I would consider. Motorola is certainly onto something here though, even if it is just now starting to be universally realized.

I do disagree with this, however. After having some experience with all of the flagship devices available today, I feel that it severely discredits Motorola in calling the Moto X "mid-tier". The fact it has a base processor that's dual core is the only reason this phone is even labled as such. If everything is just as smooth (smoother in all of my experiences) and quick (in terms of navigating the UI and browsing) as the other flagship devices, what makes the Moto X "mid-tier"? My Moto X performs just as well as the other flagship devices (maybe aside from hardcore mobile gaming) for everyday use. I don't play games but even if I did, I would still go with the Moto X, even if just for the features, mostly stock android, and supreme fluidity throughout the entire UI that it offers.

The hardware is mid tier compared to other phones. The fact that moto did so much with so little is what is impressive.

The hangup many people have with this phone is the cost for that hardware. When you can get a LG G2 right now with a bigger screen, better camera and bigger battery for less money the moto might have difficulty maintaining sales.

BigOrangeDroid

Reaction score
A success!

It's a success! Bought mine 48 hr. ago, anxiously awaiting delivery! I know I will love it. US-built, nice specs overall, a great smartphone. It's not supposed to compete with the very high-end devices, not even an appropriate comparison! It does what it does very well.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
The hardware is mid tier compared to other phones. The fact that moto did so much with so little is what is impressive.

The hangup many people have with this phone is the cost for that hardware. When you can get a LG G2 right now with a bigger screen, better camera and bigger battery for less money the moto might have difficulty maintaining sales.

When the cost to make the device is so similar to the cost to make of other flagship devices I have to disagree. The Moto X was $221 to make. That doesn't seem mid-tier to me.

Last edited:

acousticshade

Reaction score
When the cost to make the device is so similar to the cost to make of other flagship devices I have to disagree. The Moto X was $221 to make. That doesn't seem mid-tier to me.

It's not cost to make that make a phone high end or mid tier. I could build a low end phone but if it costs $500 per phone to make, it would still be low end.

Isn't the moto X made in America? Higher cost labor would raise the cost per phone considerably.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I remember reading that the Moto X being made in the USA costed $5 more per device (not a deal breaker). I believe I read it on Engadget but I'm not positive. I value a phone cost wise as its pertains to the cost to make. The extra processors in the Moto X obviously cost some money. It is not surprising to me that the phone is priced as it is.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
If everything is just as smooth (smoother in all of my experiences) and quick (in terms of navigating the UI and browsing) as the other flagship devices, what makes the Moto X "mid-tier"? My Moto X performs just as well as the other flagship devices (maybe aside from hardcore mobile gaming) for everyday use. I don't play games but even if I did, I would still go with the Moto X, even if just for the features, mostly stock android, and supreme fluidity throughout the entire UI that it offers.

One of many reasons I love my Moto X - it's 100% smooth with no lag. Almost iPhone'ish in that aspect <flamesuit on>.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
if they sold these for $300 off contract, they would have sold 5 million of them. same end result but more brand exposure.

as it stands now, moto failed.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
if they sold these for $300 off contract, they would have sold 5 million of them. same end result but more brand exposure.

as it stands now, moto failed.

I don't think so. People flock to Samsung and Apple because that is what millions of advertising tell them they should do. Motorola needs to step up the advertising game. Like Verizon did when first breaking the OG Droid out on the scene. The uneducated consumer needs to know why they should buy the Moto X over a Samsung device. Until they do Moto will be popular only with those in the know and Motorola loyalists. It is an awesome device. If it had a bigger screen and was a little less at the off contract price point I would have one.