LG Competes With Itself; G2 Sells Disappointing 2 Million Units Because of Nexus 5

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus5-vs-lg-g2.png

A new report from insider sources suggests LG is disappointed with the sales of their G2 line. They were hoping to sell 10 Million units of the flagship device by the end of the year, but supply chain estimates suggest they only sold around 2 Million units. Ironically, it was LG themselves that hurt some of their own chances to truly push the G2 to the forefront. These same sources indicated the LG-made Google Nexus 5 affected sales of the G2.

It's not surprising when you consider all of the facts. The Nexus 5 launched shortly after the G2. Furthermore, it launched for significantly less money than the G2, with almost the same specs and Android 4.4 KitKat installed out of the box. Despite this disappointment, LG is unlikely to be broken up about it considering they still made money off of the Nexus 5 sales which cannibalized the G2. Overall though the reduced brand recognition and poor marketing image of failing to hit large numbers is more detrimental than the lost sales revenue.

For LG fans, let's cross our fingers that the G3 can really capture the lightning in 2014.

Source: DigiTimes

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Taking so long to refute rumors that they were abandoning their hand set devices didn't help either.
They, like HTC, need to realize their first crack at redemption is just that and don't expect a rebound until a follow up with the same reliability as the prior. You don't undo a bad reputation with just 1 device.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
The only LG device I ever tried was the Lotus and I didn't even own it a whole month for obvious reasons. At that time Motorola was still making "quality" stuff... not sure why they stopped especially since Google is holding their hand now. At any rate I don't plan to buy an LG and I'm starting to shy away from Moto unless they come back with a "wow factor" device that inspires me. Both LG and Moto seem to share the same deficient design concepts like; the embedded battery and no microSD slot.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Both LG and Moto seem to share the same deficient design concepts like; the embedded battery and no microSD slot.
That's not just LG and Motorola, that's every manufacturer except Samsung.

The removable battery doesn't mean much to me. The G2 has phenomenal battery life and unless you're playing games for 6+ hours at a time on it...you shouldn't need to charge it during the day. As for the lack of an SD Card slot...it probably has to do with everyone wanting to move away from storing things ourselves, and to move towards cloud based storage using our phones and tablets as dummy terminals. Which would be great, except for the fact that the US is still a long ways off from having truly unlimited data plans.

Personally I think I'd be content if they just started giving us 64gb of storage space. I've never met anyone that needs more than that, and sure haven't met anyone that swaps SD cards in and out for various media.

Alastrionia

Sourcery Themer / Designr
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I happen to own the LG G2 ( VZW ) and it's a beast of a device.
My wife also has one.

I've rooted mine, running CM11 nightlies on it
She has hers pure stock

We are both extremely happy with the overall design and product.
Sure a sd card slot would be nice , but hey , I got dropbox and can transfer to my desktop so not a big deal.
Embedded battery, for some it's a bad thing. I don't view it that way. One less thing that can get dust in it, one less thing for me to fiddle with or brake by accident.
It's plenty big and strong enough to handle what we use it for.

The hardware is very reliable, haven't had any issues with call quality or data connections.
The camera they used is sharp and I've been happy with the pictures that have come from it.

When the G3 comes out , I'm going to be eyeing it very carefully :D

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's not just LG and Motorola, that's every manufacturer except Samsung.

The removable battery doesn't mean much to me. The G2 has phenomenal battery life and unless you're playing games for 6+ hours at a time on it...you shouldn't need to charge it during the day. As for the lack of an SD Card slot...it probably has to do with everyone wanting to move away from storing things ourselves, and to move towards cloud based storage using our phones and tablets as dummy terminals. Which would be great, except for the fact that the US is still a long ways off from having truly unlimited data plans.

Personally I think I'd be content if they just started giving us 64gb of storage space. I've never met anyone that needs more than that, and sure haven't met anyone that swaps SD cards in and out for various media.

Millions upon millions of sheep are ok with non removable battery and no expendable memory. Have been for over 6 years now. They're very willing to pay an extra $50- $100 for a bigger internal memory that costs about $5-$10 to include. These same sheep will gladly pay $30, or more, for a device cover that costs under $1 to make. Change the plug port and sell an adapter for $29 so you can use your old clock radio with your new music player? No problem. Force them to use a certain computer program to sync their device that is worse than a virus on Windows machines? Just get a newer computer, problem solved. Make the sync wireless capable on a cloud based server? Sure thing, just get a bigger data plan since unlimited is a thing of the past and they'll thank the almighty carrier and device manufacturer for the trouble and extra expense because their device now has a new letter and number or new flashy name to go along with the prettier user interface.
Thus why they do it.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
I'm an "s pen aholic" Noteate

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
LG needs to speed up their software updates on their flagship devices if they want to be take seriously. I own a LG G Pad 8.3, which is their flagship tablet that still runs JB 4.2, now they throw out the same tablet on the Google store with pure Android and it runs KitKat 4.4, now how hard would it be to upgrade their OEM tablet to at least JB 4.3 JB, it's not like they have to go through Phone carriers for update approvals, as the tablet has no 3G-4G capabilities. LG is known for slow to non existent software updates for their phones, makes you wonder if that will ever change.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
If g2 wasn't limited to certain carriers in certain markets, it would have outsold nexus even with a higher starting price.

Simple math, make device available to 100 million people and 2 million will buy. Make it available to 1 billion people and 20 million will buy.

WestOkid

Reaction score
I can't see how the G2 sales were compromised because of a Nexus device, even if it's their own. As much as we like Nexus devices on these forums, they are virtually unknown to the mainstream. They do not make a dent in overall phone sales. In fact, the Nexus 4 is the best selling Nexus and it has world wide sales < 4 million. The G2 was LG's attempt to slow down the Samsung train, and they failed. The Nexus 5 has nothing to do with poor G2 sales.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
When LG starts updating their devices, then they will start selling more devices, when you leave your customers drifting in the wind, they will do the same to you.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When LG starts updating their devices, then they will start selling more devices, when you leave your customers drifting in the wind, they will do the same to you.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Out with the old in with the....old

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Most customers don't care about updates or know what they are. LG doesn't advertise their product, that's all.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
+1
Advertising is King. Samsung didn't get where they are because they made a good phone.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You can't be serious.
80% of consumers could give a rats ass if they have ICS or JB or KK. You know that.
How did anyone find out about these phones?
Advertising. I posit that no commercial has been as wildly successful for Samsung as one in particular. I can utter one sentence and you will know exactly what I am talking about....
"The headphone jack... is on the bottom!" *mind blown*

Apple did NOT get where they are because they made a good product. They did it because they made the best commercials, especially around the time the iPod came out. There were plenty of other MP3 players on the market. Ever see a Sansa commercial? It was a better product. How about Creative Labs? No? How'd they do in that MP3 market? Even Microsoft got smoked because they barely advertised the Zune until it was too little, too late.
Apple knows how to market. Better then anyone.
Sammy figured it out and *boom*.
Amazon figured it out, while Barnes and Noble did not and we see how that played out.
HTC finally got it and they have finally moved some phones.
Quality HELPS, no question, after the commercial convinces you to buy it. Without quality you don't get repeat buyers. But how do you get people to try your product in the first place? How does a first time buyer know anything about your quality. He doesn't. He saw the commercial that got him into the VZW store. It looks pretty and feels good in the hand. *SOLD*
Marketing. Is. King.