Motorola Now 'Cautious' about Partnership with Verizon because of iPhone

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
they've got considerable more competition on VZW, especially the IPhone but certainly not just the IPhone. ...

That could be disastrous for Moto if they don't establish a strong presence on those carriers.

Truth! ;) 10

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Regular people may not care about bootloaders specifically however:

1. Lots of people can understand the difference between an open system that let's them do whatever they want, wheather it's installing an extended battery, replacing the default email app, or just removing some app that they just never use. It's not any one thing, it's an attitude.

2. Non-geeks buy smart phones based in part on all the cool stuff that they see us geeks doing on our phones. My wife isn't a geek but she can appreciate being able to stream music from our home server rather than having to sync her phone with some other computer using some oddball software that's always trying to sell her something. That's just so 90's! My customers think it's pretty neat that I can stream security cam footage of my office or fix their mis-behaving computer from anywhere.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

I respectfully disagree. The reason your wife knows this stuff is because you are, by your own admittance, a geek. The reason my friends know about this stuff is because I am, by my own admittance, a geek. Verizon/Moto/or any other manufacturer doesn't sell their android phones by advertising how open it is compared to something else or "The Droid 1, with an unlocked bootloader so you can load custom kernels!"

They sell it with the stuff that gets people's attention like Super Amoled, Dual Core! Reminds me of best buy selling gold/copper plated HDMI cables for $700 saying it delivers a better signal ($700?? For an HDMI cable?? If people really knew what they were buying, do you think that cable would have 10 positive reviews? LOL). I mean read the reviews on that thing, one guy saved up for months working at Wendy's to get one...You really think Best Buy is having trouble pushing those cables? The same cables you can get for a $1 on monoprice.com which provide the exact same picture quality? Consumers don't research things before they buy. "Gold-plated" just sounds awesome, and when the clueless BB rep is telling you that your digital (yes digital) signal is somehow going to be improved by using a gold conductor, the consumer buys it hook line and sinker. And I know no one will admit it, but I'm sure there are people here who bought $200 HDMI cables...

Stuff like that sounds awesome, but no one save the people like us know what that means (and there's people on these forums that probably don't even know what that means). I convinced my sisters to get Android phones, only because I told them I could hack it and give them pretty little themes. They had no clue about openness vs closed, or Retina vs amoled, or dual core vs single core and honestly didn't care. Another friend swears his incredible is better than all other androids because it has an 8MP camera. We all (scratch that, some of us) know that "megapixels" is just a "mine is bigger than yours" argument.

You really think "lots of people" (and by people I don't mean your family and friends who you can influence or are techie types like you), understand the difference between open source and closed source? Again, there are people on this very forum that don't understand that distinction, or even what open source truly means, and I'd like to think the people on df are smarter than the average consumer.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm thru...I scratched my head at ppl buying HDMI cables for $50, $70....didnt know some cost $200

BUT $700?!?!?!?! I'm done. I would have liked to been in the store when they bought it....

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol...I see you dont have to buy one to write a review...I just went numb seeing an HDMI cable for over $1000..

moosez3

Reaction score
+1,000,000

Everyone here assumes that the average consumer is like them...

Noone cares about bootloaders!!! And even if they did, why wouldn't HTC's "self-sbf" on the G2 dissuade those same people from going ot HTC???

iPhone already has NO bloat and is going to end up being the LEAST locked down phone!!!! Bwahahaha stupid android sheep.

Gotta agree with you (not in those words though haha). When you go to communities like droidforums it's natural to think that every android owner out there is like you and thinks "Dual core yeaaaahhh!!! Super AMOLED!!! Unlocked bootloaders for custom ROMSSSSS!!!! 1337!!!"...now the truth of the matter:

Like you said...no one cares about bootloaders, and processors, and displays and roms. The people who do are the ones who are on forums like these, and those numbers are negligible to the point that they're laughable. Let's look at the big picture, people. The overwhelming majority of people who buy phones (android or ios) have no clue what they were buying and were swayed by the cutsie (iphone) or epic lasers!! (android) marketing. It's just funny to me that people really believe that Motorola was saved from the brink of destruction by people who root and ROM their phone. Or that their next offering will be a flop because it has an unlocked bootloader. LOL. Those people are less than 1% of total smartphone users, and even a smaller percentage of Motorola users. As much as you want to pat yourselves on the back, you did not save Motorola...

The point I was trying to make was not that Geeks saved moto, but Verizon, and There marketing for the Phone saved moto. I remember I initially thought to myself when seeing all the commercials, "I should try out android" I was coming from a, wait for it, Sony P990 back in Nov. 2009. If I had not seen all the commercials I would have thought its just like the G1, which I wasnt concerned about... but this was a Droid! I had to have one before I knew what a bootloader, kernel or a ROM was.

I'm thru...I scratched my head at ppl buying HDMI cables for $50, $70....didnt know some cost $200

BUT $700?!?!?!?! I'm done. I would have liked to been in the store when they bought it....

$70 dollars isn that bad we had to buy a +25' HDMI cable and ended up spending $75 for it. I thought it was a good deal 2 years ago. But yeah unless you are going a longer Distance no HDMI should be bought for over $100.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
{Massive Snip}

I don't blame Moto one bit if they choose to hitch their ride elsewhere. Verizon hasn't exactly been all that great to them recently, and I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see HTC do the same.

Oh I don't blame them either. I just wish them the WORST possible luck and all of the misfortune in the world. A corporate bankruptcy would REALLY make my life happy! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

(I don't care for those guys very much, in case you didn't notice)

-Mike

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree with you (not in those words though haha). When you go to communities like droidforums it's natural to think that every android owner out there is like you and thinks "Dual core yeaaaahhh!!! Super AMOLED!!! Unlocked bootloaders for custom ROMSSSSS!!!! 1337!!!"...now the truth of the matter:

Like you said...no one cares about bootloaders, and processors, and displays and roms. The people who do are the ones who are on forums like these, and those numbers are negligible to the point that they're laughable. Let's look at the big picture, people. The overwhelming majority of people who buy phones (android or ios) have no clue what they were buying and were swayed by the cutsie (iphone) or epic lasers!! (android) marketing. It's just funny to me that people really believe that Motorola was saved from the brink of destruction by people who root and ROM their phone. Or that their next offering will be a flop because it has an unlocked bootloader. LOL. Those people are less than 1% of total smartphone users, and even a smaller percentage of Motorola users. As much as you want to pat yourselves on the back, you did not save Motorola...

The point I was trying to make was not that Geeks saved moto, but Verizon, and There marketing for the Phone saved moto. I remember I initially thought to myself when seeing all the commercials, "I should try out android" I was coming from a, wait for it, Sony P990 back in Nov. 2009. If I had not seen all the commercials I would have thought its just like the G1, which I wasnt concerned about... but this was a Droid! I had to have one before I knew what a bootloader, kernel or a ROM was.

If that's what you meant, then my statement definitely wasn't directed towards you, man :). It's to the people who actually do claim that it's the geeks who bought Moto from the brink. Like Moto was struggling and thanks to the word of mouth of the geeks they sold Droid phones like crazy. People, and it's a natural human thing, like to think they're more important then they really are.

People are not buying the Droid phones because of their features and because they do extensive research at home. Truth is those commercials are pretty darn cool, and that's more then enough to get people to buy it. My point, which you have acknowledged, is to talk to the people who for some ungodly reason think that Motorola was bought back from the brink because "people like us" made the D1 into the awesome dev phone that it is. Not even remotely true. It's so untrue in fact, like I said it's laughable. Motorola, although they wont admit it, doesn't care about the less than 1% of people who root their phones that have a D1 or an X or whatever other android phone they make. Why should they? The revenue they get from those people is relatively negligible, locking down their phones saves them money in the long run, and they know that people will buy their phones no matter what. It's not like the Bionic is going to flop if it has a locked bootloader. Or HTC is going to report record declines in sales for the Thunderbolt.

Both phones are going to sell quite handsomely haha. And 99% of the people who have those phones are not going to know or care what the benefit of "Dual core processors!!" and "Open source custom kernel loading!!!" is. They'll just think "this is pretty sweet, and it's android!!! those commercials are so cool!" That's what the average consumer is.

As for the HDMI cable, yeah the only thing that could possibly cause some signal degradation is distance. But again, 6 feet is not going to cause degradation to a digital signal, and who the heck runs 100' HDMI cables? Best Buy sells those 6' foot "copper/gold plated!!!!" cables for $700 and people buy them because no one knows any better. Same thing with phones. These phones are not selling because Android users are the cream of the crop of cell phone users and everyone else is a mindless group of fools who dont know basic math or how to function in society. It's hilarious that people actually do think that that's how it is though....

I don't blame Moto for being a little cautious with Verizon and branching out to other carriers. Android is clearly going to, and already has, taken second fiddle to the iPhone on Verizon and that's not going to change. However, android phones will continue to sell because Verizon has a good marketing team.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol...I see you dont have to buy one to write a review...I just went numb seeing an HDMI cable for over $1000..

haha, yeah some of the reviews are clearly fake (and pretty hilarious haha), but the fact that best buy can even offer cables at that price indicates that people actually do buy them. oh its sad, so sad...

electric turd

Reaction score
Motorola dug their own grave by making everything but the OG locked down and blurified. Pretty much sealed the deal with me buying one of their phones again. The turned on the customers that brought them back and they took advantage of it. Reap what you sow MOTO!!!!

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Motorola dug their own grave by making everything but the OG locked down and blurified. Pretty much sealed the deal with me buying one of their phones again. The turned on the customers that brought them back and they took advantage of it. Reap what you sow MOTO!!!!

My point, EXACTLY.

-Mike

rcglider

Reaction score
I'll be staying with Verizon for the foreseeable future regardless of what happens to Moto, so hopefully there will be decent phones after DX. To be blunt, Sprint and AT&T 3g coverage (not to mention 1x) is just horrid in my area of Michigan (thumb). Even at work I routinely can download at 2.2M whereas the Sprint and ATT folks are lucky to get 300k.

And while the I4 may be nice, from what I've seen it is not the phone for me; it's like urban cowboys. The DX is about as close to a hotrod as it gets [for phones] comparatively, IMO anyway. Just the fact that I can install a much larger battery on my DX to watch TV/movies through Slingbox for extended periods keeps me away from Iphone. A "tool kit" to change the battery?

The best phone we've ever used is a Moto W385, still using two of them; built like a tank, long battery life and great signal, but Moto doesn't make just phones anymore. Too bad, the standard phones now aren't too appealing. A store near us had a stash of the W385's when I complained about the latest offerings. I'd get another one if our current dinosaurs ever die.

Anyway, based on what I'm reading here, is it safe to assume the bottom line is Moto won't be pushing out any new phones other than rehashed DX's?

moosez3

Reaction score
If that's what you meant, then my statement definitely wasn't directed towards you, man :). It's to the people who actually do claim that it's the geeks who bought Moto from the brink. Like Moto was struggling and thanks to the word of mouth of the geeks they sold Droid phones like crazy. People, and it's a natural human thing, like to think they're more important then they really are.

People are not buying the Droid phones because of their features and because they do extensive research at home. Truth is those commercials are pretty darn cool, and that's more then enough to get people to buy it. My point, which you have acknowledged, is to talk to the people who for some ungodly reason think that Motorola was bought back from the brink because "people like us" made the D1 into the awesome dev phone that it is. Not even remotely true. It's so untrue in fact, like I said it's laughable. Motorola, although they wont admit it, doesn't care about the less than 1% of people who root their phones that have a D1 or an X or whatever other android phone they make. Why should they? The revenue they get from those people is relatively negligible, locking down their phones saves them money in the long run, and they know that people will buy their phones no matter what. It's not like the Bionic is going to flop if it has a locked bootloader. Or HTC is going to report record declines in sales for the Thunderbolt.

Both phones are going to sell quite handsomely haha. And 99% of the people who have those phones are not going to know or care what the benefit of "Dual core processors!!" and "Open source custom kernel loading!!!" is. They'll just think "this is pretty sweet, and it's android!!! those commercials are so cool!" That's what the average consumer is.

As for the HDMI cable, yeah the only thing that could possibly cause some signal degradation is distance. But again, 6 feet is not going to cause degradation to a digital signal, and who the heck runs 100' HDMI cables? Best Buy sells those 6' foot "copper/gold plated!!!!" cables for $700 and people buy them because no one knows any better. Same thing with phones. These phones are not selling because Android users are the cream of the crop of cell phone users and everyone else is a mindless group of fools who dont know basic math or how to function in society. It's hilarious that people actually do think that that's how it is though....

I don't blame Moto for being a little cautious with Verizon and branching out to other carriers. Android is clearly going to, and already has, taken second fiddle to the iPhone on Verizon and that's not going to change. However, android phones will continue to sell because Verizon has a good marketing team.

I just went to my Verizon Store, knowing that Verizon is a company making decisions based off of what is best for them financially, also having a objective respect for apple and their products, I own some, BUT when I spoke with the reps she said they have the Thunderbolt they have used it and its fast and great, but they aren't releasing it b/c of the iPhone.

I ended up factoring emotional responses of disappointment, anger and a little disgust at Apple, Verizon, HTC, and WTH LG and Motorola too.
This is why:
Verizon: wanting to milk the iPhone as much as possible, while holding out on us.
Apple: Letting the milking happen, holding out on LTE for More money.
HTC: Letting Verizon walk on them, and making the TB and DI2 single core.
Motorola: Trying to be tough guys against Verizon and holding out the Bionic or Atrix or anything good really.
LG: for releasing awesome products on other carriers while we get a Single Core Mediocre (2011) phone.

At this point I would have bought an iPhone 3G if it was capable of LTE (most important by a long shot for me), and now the only things that are ready for it are well... they ARENT ready for it! If BB doesnt call me tomorrow, I know they wont, I am probably going to wait till July, my NE2 day.

I know they arent reading this, and they dont care, but I just needed to vent that.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I just went to my Verizon Store, knowing that Verizon is a company making decisions based off of what is best for them financially, also having a objective respect for apple and their products, I own some, BUT when I spoke with the reps she said they have the Thunderbolt they have used it and its fast and great, but they aren't releasing it b/c of the iPhone.

I ended up factoring emotional responses of disappointment, anger and a little disgust at Apple, Verizon, HTC, and WTH LG and Motorola too.
This is why:
Verizon: wanting to milk the iPhone as much as possible, while holding out on us.
Motorola: Trying to be tough guys against Verizon and holding out the Bionic or Atrix or anything good really.
LG: for releasing awesome products on other carriers while we get a Single Core Mediocre (2011) phone.

At this point I would have bought an iPhone 3G if it was capable of LTE (most important by a long shot for me), and now the only things that are ready for it are well... they ARENT ready for it! If BB doesnt call me tomorrow, I know they wont, I am probably going to wait till July, my NE2 day.

I know they arent reading this, and they dont care, but I just needed to vent that.

That was htc's choice they waiting for the snapdragon dual core chip and it was not gonna be ready in time for them to begin production.

nmos

Reaction score
Czerdrill:
You're right that people don't research their purchases nor have any real understanding of the tech involved but in that enviornment word of mouth can have a major impact. Show someone Google Earth or Street View and the first thing out of their mouth is "What kind of phone is that?"

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

moosez3

Reaction score

This is why:

That was htc's choice they waiting for the snapdragon dual core chip and it was not gonna be ready in time for them to begin production.

Yeah I know, but still MSM8655 vs QSD8650 really thats it? :(