Motorola Now 'Cautious' about Partnership with Verizon because of iPhone

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Czerdrill:
You're right that people don't research their purchases nor have any real understanding of the tech involved but in that enviornment word of mouth can have a major impact. Show someone Google Earth or Street View and the first thing out of their mouth is "What kind of phone is that?"

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Word of mouth definitely converts a few people who were on the fence or didn't have any clue whatsoever, yes. I guess my point was to put it into perspective though. The majority (and I'm not talking 49/50 I'm talking 90+/10-%) of the millions upon millions who have smartphones were definitely swayed by the cool advertising and not any technical specs or word of mouth. Word of mouth plays a part yes, I just dont think it's as important as people think it is. You know, when people say that the dev community bought Moto back from the brink.

That's just not true. The dev community is great, yes, but its influence on Motorola sales is slim to none. There are far more people buying smartphones just because, then because they know that it's open source thanks to their dev friend. We didn't bring Moto back from the brink. What bought them back from the brink was developing a great phone with a great OS, and Verizon marketing the crap out of it.

I said this before a long time ago...think of 50 people you know. You'll find it difficult to even name 50 people you know, let alone name 50 people who you've influenced into getting an android phone. The word of mouth converts are negligible. (waiting for someone to come in here and say "I can name 50 people easily" I hope everyone can understand my point, and not nitpick...the majority of people will have difficulty naming 50 people they know, and even more difficulty naming 50 people who they can influence to get an android phone)

bhall238

Reaction score
Considering they believe Motoblur, locked bootloaders and crippled overpriced tablets are all good ideas...QUOTE]

I've been using Moto phones for the past 8 or so years, and have always been satisfied with the technology, and quality of production available in their products. That said, Moto's latest business decisions really leave me scratching my head in regards to their leadership.

Putting the Atrix on ATT, to open a new market, reduce their reliance on Verizon, and stake a dominating claim as the top tier tech phone on that network? I understand that.

But Waiting 10ish months to release that same Atrix on their "home" network, where they already have the most consumer loyalty? Let alone releasing it so late, that the phone will go from being "the best phone on the network" to "another outdated phone on the network" is terrible business planning... The Atrixx is going to fail hard on Verizon when it is finally released without revamps. Bad business decision

-Making the Bionic, their flagship device on their "home" network, WEAKER than the same offering they have for ATT, AND STILL RELEASING IT MONTHS LATER. Is again a slap in the face to loyal customers.

-Continually wasting $$ on development of a UI (Blur) that actually devalues a phone, because customers don't want it and it degrades performance. Particularly when they are only a few years removed from severe financial crisis/ near bankruptcy. Poor business decision

-Continually wasting $$ on encryption/locking down devices, when the average user doesn't know they are there, and the power user takes business elsewhere over it being there. Basically spending their own money...to lose business.

-Backroom deals that place annoying undeletable software on phones...Software from now bankrupt companies (Blockbuster app)... Annoying and stupid business decision, but probably did make them money.

-Potentially burning bridges with their primary partner/ "home" network by not having a flagship device ready for their "4g" Network's launch, and then even worse, releasing a superior phone on their primary competitor's network simply because they released an outdated phone on their "home network", where Moto already had a significant market share/brand name advantage. Stupid business decision

-Producing an overpriced tablet. There is nothing that can be done with a tablet, that cannot be done better with a laptop at that pricepoint. Maybe I'm just missing something on these tablets...

-Droid X2, Droid 3, etc... Are all margional upgrades, none noteworthy enough to be worth a new release. Why rehash and oversaturate your own market?

-Finally... Waiting so damn long to put out the Bionic on Verizon... People want 4g phones for Verizon's network. Why the hell would a company purposely delay a device on their "home" network, so long that nearly every single one of their competitors can put out their competing phones before the bionic releases? Moto should want to snatch up as much loyalty as possible for the emerging Verizon 4g market, much as they did back when the droid 1 released, snatching up the Android OS market. You get that by being first in the market... not last. Just look at how many people are looking at/jumping ship to the Thunderbolt, which is already basically an outdated technology/ copy of the Evo, but people itching to jump on the new 4g bandwagon.

I just don't understand Moto. If I ran my business going out of my to piss off customers, partners, and wasting money the way Moto does, I wouldn't stay in business very long.

Excellent post. I agree with everthing you said. I wanted to add this, on the day of release my friend and I went into the AT&T store to look at the Atrix. We weren't sure what to expect; after all there were lines at the Verizon store (just down the block) when the IPhone 4 came out. This was at lunch, in a major market (New Orleans) and there was nothing going on. No signs in front of the store, when we walked in my friend and I were the only customers in there. The sales guy didn't seem very knowledgable about the phone either. Based on my experience, I say yeah, great move Motorola going to AT&T with this phone. I am seriously considering the Thunderbolt. Seriously.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Considering they believe Motoblur, locked bootloaders and crippled overpriced tablets are all good ideas...QUOTE]

I've been using Moto phones for the past 8 or so years, and have always been satisfied with the technology, and quality of production available in their products. That said, Moto's latest business decisions really leave me scratching my head in regards to their leadership.

Putting the Atrix on ATT, to open a new market, reduce their reliance on Verizon, and stake a dominating claim as the top tier tech phone on that network? I understand that.

But Waiting 10ish months to release that same Atrix on their "home" network, where they already have the most consumer loyalty? Let alone releasing it so late, that the phone will go from being "the best phone on the network" to "another outdated phone on the network" is terrible business planning... The Atrixx is going to fail hard on Verizon when it is finally released without revamps. Bad business decision

-Making the Bionic, their flagship device on their "home" network, WEAKER than the same offering they have for ATT, AND STILL RELEASING IT MONTHS LATER. Is again a slap in the face to loyal customers.

-Continually wasting $$ on development of a UI (Blur) that actually devalues a phone, because customers don't want it and it degrades performance. Particularly when they are only a few years removed from severe financial crisis/ near bankruptcy. Poor business decision

-Continually wasting $$ on encryption/locking down devices, when the average user doesn't know they are there, and the power user takes business elsewhere over it being there. Basically spending their own money...to lose business.

-Backroom deals that place annoying undeletable software on phones...Software from now bankrupt companies (Blockbuster app)... Annoying and stupid business decision, but probably did make them money.

-Potentially burning bridges with their primary partner/ "home" network by not having a flagship device ready for their "4g" Network's launch, and then even worse, releasing a superior phone on their primary competitor's network simply because they released an outdated phone on their "home network", where Moto already had a significant market share/brand name advantage. Stupid business decision

-Producing an overpriced tablet. There is nothing that can be done with a tablet, that cannot be done better with a laptop at that pricepoint. Maybe I'm just missing something on these tablets...

-Droid X2, Droid 3, etc... Are all margional upgrades, none noteworthy enough to be worth a new release. Why rehash and oversaturate your own market?

-Finally... Waiting so damn long to put out the Bionic on Verizon... People want 4g phones for Verizon's network. Why the hell would a company purposely delay a device on their "home" network, so long that nearly every single one of their competitors can put out their competing phones before the bionic releases? Moto should want to snatch up as much loyalty as possible for the emerging Verizon 4g market, much as they did back when the droid 1 released, snatching up the Android OS market. You get that by being first in the market... not last. Just look at how many people are looking at/jumping ship to the Thunderbolt, which is already basically an outdated technology/ copy of the Evo, but people itching to jump on the new 4g bandwagon.

I just don't understand Moto. If I ran my business going out of my to piss off customers, partners, and wasting money the way Moto does, I wouldn't stay in business very long.

Excellent post. I agree with everthing you said. I wanted to add this, on the day of release my friend and I went into the AT&T store to look at the Atrix. We weren't sure what to expect; after all there were lines at the Verizon store (just down the block) when the IPhone 4 came out. This was at lunch, in a major market (New Orleans) and there was nothing going on. No signs in front of the store, when we walked in my friend and I were the only customers in there. The sales guy didn't seem very knowledgable about the phone either. Based on my experience, I say yeah, great move Motorola going to AT&T with this phone. I am seriously considering the Thunderbolt. Seriously.

Well yeah but what android phone has ever gotten lines down the block? Android doesn't have pull like that, at least not yet.

bhall238

Reaction score
Excellent post. I agree with everything you said. I wanted to add this, on the day of release my friend and I went into the AT&T store to look at the Atrix. We weren't sure what to expect; after all there were lines at the Verizon store (just down the block) when the IPhone 4 came out. This was at lunch, in a major market (New Orleans) and there was nothing going on. No signs in front of the store, when we walked in my friend and I were the only customers in there. The sales guy didn't seem very knowledgeable about the phone either. Based on my experience, I say yeah, great move Motorola going to AT&T with this phone. I am seriously considering the Thunderbolt. Seriously.

Well yeah but what android phone has ever gotten lines down the block? Android doesn't have pull like that, at least not yet.

I'm certainly no expert, but I consider this a flop. First day of release and this is the interest you see? Even for the store to not have any signage out front? I'm not saying there had to be lines of customers but I expected a couple of people at least, and better advertising on AT&T's part maybe. I mentioned all this to reiterate the point that Motorola maybe cut off their nose to spite their face by not coming to Verizon first. I could be totally wrong of course.

I wonder if there are sales figures out there for the Atrix sales so far.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

I'm certainly no expert, but I consider this a flop. First day of release and this is the interest you see? Even for the store to not have any signage out front? I'm not saying there had to be lines of customers but I expected a couple of people at least, and better advertising on AT&T's part maybe. I mentioned all this to reiterate the point that Motorola maybe cut off their nose to spite their face by not coming to Verizon first. I could be totally wrong of course.

Yeah now that I think about it, I haven't even seen an Atrix commercial haha. Might just be poor marketing. Even still with effective marketing, I don't think an Android phone would have people clamoring to get it. But definitely more than just two people in the store when you went in :icon_eek:

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

Motorola is cutting off more than just their nose...

-Mike

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

You make a good point about advertising. AT&T has a couple of commercials out that are decent. But Verizon's advertising woulda been better IMO. And woulda been hammered out there more. Those Droid commercials be crazy...lol I mentioned this back during CES.

As far as advertising, Motorola woulda been better off having it launch with Verizon.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
As far as advertising, Motorola woulda been better off having it launch with Verizon.

Maybe. But from a sales perspective I still say the Bionic will do better because it's LTE (and probably why it is later to launch). The docking feature on the Atrix is cool, but mostly grossly overpriced novelty. Put that alongside LTE Bionic and perhaps the TBolt and, really, why would you choose the Atrix? I can mirror with HDMI out on the Bionic (with unlimited data on VZW, and no tether charges!), and really the advantages of a full desktop browser are pretty marginal, at least for me.

Sounds like if you want to use AT&T "4G" on the Atrix with either the multimedia or laptop docks you have to pay tether, and for everyone drooling over that feature I suspect most would actually not want to pay for it.