Motorola says Carriers Do Not Want Stock Android Phones

rdgxray

Reaction score
I have the bionic and it works great stock with 9.01 update. Moto sells the razr, basically a thinner bionic with less features (non removable battery, etc) . People are crazy for the razr!!! Look how thin it is! Kevlar back!!! Looks sell!!! Tell people it has same guts as bionic, they don't care! It is light! And thin! And sparkly! The name is cool! RAZR! It can stop a bullet! Did you hear the word Kevlar! Almost makes me want one except I have one ...just named Bionic. Not slamming Razr...how can I dislike a phone that is the twin of the bionic? Which one is selling like hotcakes? The Razr....cool looks sell. The iphone is somewhat of an exception, it looks plain. It sells because it is a status symbol. Doctor, Lawyer or important? Or think you are? You probably have an iphone. Iphones also just work supposedly ...apple has best support and highest satisfaction. Who wouldn't want that? I personally just don't want to pay twice as much for an iphone. I even fall victim to it ocassionally. Met a lawyer and I said "is that the new iphone 4s?" Yes it is he says...I was like wow! I want people to be jealous of my iphone! Where do I pay way to much for one! Anyway status or cool looks...best sellers. People who know specs and want them...are a minority. Most people I met with nice phones have no idea what they can do.
"What do you do with you iphone?" "Make calls and txt"...."All my friends have iphones..so I got one too" ....just let me remove the bloat...I would be happy.

CletusVanDam

Reaction score
i had the nexus for a while- very little to gain from custom roms. running vanilla android running at its best
zhaojh.jpg
.. i loved that phone was not mine only had it for a week or so.

The nexus gains plenty from custom roms: reboot options, ui changes, power widgets on notification bar, etc..

Btw, might want to change the "phone" in your profile from your mobile number to your phone model:blink:

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
how does having all moto devices with blur or all htc with sense make it different.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I'd pay a little extra to have a bloatless phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Natey2

Reaction score
Just get Linux with Gnome or KDE on my Moto Smartphone, and I'll be a happy camper.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
The solution is to have the carriers load whatever crap on there that they want, but make it so that if I don't want Madden NFL or even Sense, I can just go to Manage Applications and uninstall it.

A Dell comes with tons of crap, that companies pay Dell to put on there. But you are free to uninstall pretty much whatever you want, and phones should be no different.

This is about carriers trying to sell you additional services and stuff. If you could delete it, you would be less likely to pay for it. If it is there and you can't, you are more likely to just "use what's there" rather than get an alternative app or service.

That's why they don't let you install it. It has nothing to do with differentiation in order to sell. It is to try to keep selling you crap after the initial sale.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
You all have to realize, that the MOD community is only 1% of droid owners, the majority of people could care less about ROMS and the chance of bricking their $500-$800 phone. The majority of people just want a nice workin phone with all the latest bellls and whistles, they do NOT care about ROMS, and by putting skins on their phones manufactures makes them different from their competition, it just give people a broader choice to choose from, I have no problem with skins, heck I never had the urge to take a chance to brick my phone so it can be .5 miliseconds faster, no world differene, my HTC Incredible "one of the first to preorder when it first came out", still works like a charm and does everything I need it to do plus more, why mess with a good thing, and I am not the only one that feels this way, so for the people that are upset, get over it, it's part of running a BUSINESS.

Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think that 1% would increase drastically if it was just as simple as selecting which skin you wanted and not have to "root" and void your warranty ...

I show iphoners and other android users my custum colors and what not and I always get the puppy dog eyes ... They just don't want to "risk it"...

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Oh, silly internet....

Yall keep on with the imagination that folks care about this stuff. The internet does, but not the public. The public can barely name the current VP of the US...let alone what rooting a phone means...or unlocking a bootloader!!!!

We ALL know why Moto & the carriers have these agreements:

1) Phone isn't rooted because folks don't need it generally. Same reason everyone isn't an admin at your office probably...
1a) They don't want you to get rid of those nice apps they bestowed upon your new phone

2) Bootloader is locked because for every person who successfully loads a rom...there are 3 in a thread who failed somehow
2a) Personal responsibility is always thrown out the windows
2b) Moto's/Verizon's support would be overwhelmed with having to say "we don't support this since you broke your warranty..."
2c) Folks will then do what folks ALWAYS do in these situations: bad mouth both companies and wallow until it distracts potentially new customers....

3) Apps are installed because trust me....folks use 'em. And most of the time, it's apps that cost money. Most people who are on the internet just want them uninstalled "just because" purposes...knowing they'd probably download Twitter anyways!

4) The skins really do differ a phone. While we'd love to think the amount of ram or thickness or battery life matters...it's the skins on the inside, and out. It's the truth...

Once yall accept this, you'll accept why Moto is doing what it does.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I'm starting to like Sense on my Inc2. What I don't like and never will is all the paid apps that are loaded on the phone and I can't get rid of. There is vCrap everything, VZ Navigator and City ID. In addition, there are several other apps that I will never use, but can't uninstall. I also agree that I should be able to install Sense if I didn't like it. I don't care if they put the junk there as much as not being able to uninstall it. I would be happy if the Inc2 came without Sense and would allow me to load whichever version of it that I like the best.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Do you really want stock Android or do you just want the ability to root and install your own OS?

Well given that even people with stock nexus apply themes, I think its safe to say that people like to change up some stuff. So what is the difference between themes and manufacturer skin, its the fact that you can theme on a stock device and not get the bloat that slows down the device. People are going to want to root but if oems just applied the custom ui with out the bloat or allow users to remove the bloat for performance then I dont think people would care as much about the skin.