Motorola says Carriers Do Not Want Stock Android Phones

demiourgos

Reaction score
Well if they want the manufactures UIs. Then they should make a point to support them and update them. Otherwise they won't make a profit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The main advantage of root I'm seeing is that increasingly Google is cranking-up security on Android (particularly with email/gmail apps) and this limits the functionality of 3rd party apps that are no longer able to access those API's. The only work around in most cases is to install an older version of the app before the elevated security, or hack the apk yourself to change the security level (I tried and failed, even with seemingly simple step-by-step instructions).

Sense on the Rezound has me a bit annoyed in that I have no need for it but it's so tightly integrated that even "de-sense" scripts don't totally remove/disable everything, which creates conflicts and other minor annoyances. Eventually we'll get an AOSP rom on the Rezound and then it will perfect.

The root/rom/flash community WOULD be much bigger if the OEM's and Carriers would make it easier and more seamless. There seems to be a fear over losing control or differentiation, but even in that scenario I doubt even 20% of buyers would de-skin. but for the 10-20% who would, their options would not be limited by OEM UI's that hinder what they want to do with their phone.

I suspect part of the fear is the OEM skins come up with a great feature and someone like CM can copy it or replicate the functionality. And that fear is probably warranted, because imagine a one-size-fits-all rom where you can turn all these different features on or off. It would leave basically no reason to run an OEM rom or even vanilla Android, and if it were easy and painless to install then over the course of a few years like 80% of users would be running it.