Motorola Droid 3 reboot issues

KtotheRguy

Reaction score
Hey All-
I was wondering if anyone on here is having a problem with their Droid 3 reseting itself over, over and over again. I looked online and I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem, with this particular phone. I got the phone 3 weeks ago and loved it. A few days after I got it, it would shut down and turn back on a few times a day. I ignored it until week two and I counted it 20 times in 2 days. It would shut down durning calls, games, text etc and drove me NUTS. After being on the phone with verizon they finally decided to send me a new one. They were extremely difficult, for the record. I kept getting transfered back and forth from Tech support and customer service.

I just got my new one and for the first days there were no problem. When I got out of work tonight, it started again. I am ready to rip verizon right now.

I was wondering if anyone has had this issue as well. I really, really don't want to get another phone but I may be forced too.

Last edited:

btw

Reaction score
I have the same (or a very similar) problem. And, it has occurred on TWO Droid 3's: the first one was replaced, but the identical problem has occurred in the second (currently 36 hrs old). I also replaced the battery, so I have a completely hardware with the identical problem.

The only pattern I have noticed is that plugging the phone in to a power source appears to stop the problem. When disconnected, it seems to operate nicely for a while, but then the problem recurs. I think the freezing/rebooting may occur when the phone goes to sleep, but am not absolutely confident.

I had installed some not-very-fancy software on phone #2, but I uninstalled that to no benefit. My only other thought is to do a factory reset.

But, I'm starting to think the D3, or some D3's, may have a serious problem.

Anyone have suggestions?

pistacio

Reaction score
The OTA update may resolve your problem. Also, I read somewhere that stored WiFi access points may cause an issue (they get restored when you sign in with your google account, initial setup). Try doing a factory reset and upon starting your phone, don't let the "automatic restore" from google account happen. In other words, install all your apps manually after the reset.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums App

btw

Reaction score
Thank you! I think I understand.... But, first dumb question: what's the "OTA update"? Second question: I understand re not doing automatic restore from my google account, I think, but what does that imply about picking up my google contacts and calendar?

Suspect these are elementary questions; thanks for your patience.

btw

Reaction score
I think I answered my own questions, and have successfully performed a factory reset w/o restoring settings from my google account. I'll hold off downloading any apps, and see if the reboot problem occurs. Will hopefully remember to re-post here.
Now that I figured out that OTA = "over the air", do you know when that is likely to occur? My Android version is 2.3.4 currently.
Thanks again.

pistacio

Reaction score
Regarding the contacts restore, you can restore the contacts and calender without restoring the app data. Settings>privacy>automatic restore (uncheck it).

The OTA shouLD be reaching your device before october 16 (so I've heard). You can try settings>about phone>software update.

Last edited:

DSP32012

Reaction score
I had the EXACT same problem to the point i couldnt even make a call or a text message, i took it to the verizon store to see if they could figure out the problem and all they did was a reset. After the reset everything seemed fine then as i was in the car i heard that "droid" noise and i looked over and there we go it reset itself again, i didnt have any programs running it was just sitting there. I dont know what else to do because if i take it to the verizon store again they are just going to do the exact same thing as last time and think im crazy and the cycle will just go back around. I haven't even had this phone for a week....... HELP ME PLEASE

Fr33dom

Reaction score
There are resets and there are resets. Do it yourself (see the FAQ section for hard reset instructions) and don't sync your apps. Add the apps back slowly and see if one of them is at fault.

If you don't have the Over The Air (OTA) updated mentioned above, follow the instructions and see if you can download and install it (with power plugged in preferably).

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention this but it is worth a try. If you boot holding down the X key and when you see the triangle, press the center of the volume button so that you are pressing both up and down at the same time. If successful you should be in Recovery mode and you should see all blue text. Using the volume button move down to one that says something like Cache reset and press it. IF your phone doesn't reboot after that, move to the line that says reboot and press it. Its easier BTW to have the manual keyboard open in the recovery console and use the enter/return key and arrow buttons to navigate and select options.

btw

Reaction score
As you can see in the thread, I've struggled with this problem. But, so far, about 8 hours after following Pistachio's instructions re a factory restart, all is good! No more reboots.... I finally have a functional phone! I'll try to post if a problem occurs or if things continue to go well.
Thanks again!! Much more useful than either of my two visits to the Verizon store...

pistacio

Reaction score
Glad its working for you! If you should have more problems and tried the usual remedies mentioned here and get nowhere with Verizon store, try contacting Motorola, after all, there still is a manufacturers warranty. I sent a few "broken" droid 1's to Motorola that were still in warranty...they were fixed for just the cost of shipping.

Riverview

Reaction score
I, too am having the exact same problem. I am on my third phone - 2 replacements and original. I have had this third phone four days and it, too, is doing the auto-re-boot. If anyone has resolved this issue satisfactorily - please reply with workable solution and instructions. Thanks -

Hey All-
I was wondering if anyone on here is having a problem with their Droid 3 reseting itself over, over and over again. I looked online and I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem, with this particular phone. I got the phone 3 weeks ago and loved it. A few days after I got it, it would shut down and turn back on a few times a day. I ignored it until week two and I counted it 20 times in 2 days. It would shut down durning calls, games, text etc and drove me NUTS. After being on the phone with verizon they finally decided to send me a new one. They were extremely difficult, for the record. I kept getting transfered back and forth from Tech support and customer service.

I just got my new one and for the first days there were no problem. When I got out of work tonight, it started again. I am ready to rip verizon right now.

I was wondering if anyone has had this issue as well. I really, really don't want to get another phone but I may be forced too.

pistacio

Reaction score
Read thru each post in this thread again carefully. The original poster had the same problem and there are responses in this thread with things to try...like factory reset without restoring your app data.

btw

Reaction score
I just wanted to report back: 2-3 days after doing the factory reset WITHOUT restoring app data (as suggested by Pistacio), my phone has remained absolutely stable, without any return of the spontaneous/continuous rebooting. So, I am satisfied that my problem is solved. I will re-post if it recurs.

In the meantime, enormous thanks!!!

keklar

Reaction score
I continuously have this issue, been hoping to avoid a factory reset on the phone especially with the risk of losing save data on games. Anyway to back that up and reload it after factory reset?

NoBloatware

Reaction score
One or two people had a problem where one or more of the pins/contacts that connect to the battery were not sticking out all of the way as they should have been. This would result in random reboots. Seems like this might be the case if your phone never seems to reboot when you have it plugged in. The solution is to take out your battery and use a needle or something small to gently pry out any of the contacts that aren't sticking out properly.