Is there an updated Droid 3?

joefuf

Reaction score
I bought a Droid 3 about two weeks ago up in Connecticut where I go to school. It was great until today when I had an issue (phone was saying there was no SIM card) and had to get a new phone under the warranty. I am starting to notice a few new things on my phone that are different from the other one.

On my original D3, the back pulled off from a top corner, but now the phone has a slit on the top middle for that. The design for the back being inserted into the phone is also different.

The top button is also a different style and shape. It clicks a lot harder than the original.

The biggest issue I am having (which I am going to post in the troubleshoot section in a minute about) is that I can no longer detect the phone's internal storage on USB. I read a few people posting about a similar issue, but they all managed to solve their issue by using the cable that came with the phone. Since I got mine as a replacement, Verizon kept my cable. I also tried it with a cable that I got with my Droid 1, but no success.

Does anyone know if Verizon rolled out a new Droid 3 model? Was there a reason for doing so?

sarreq

Reaction score
i have the week 1 release of the d3, the description of your warrantee replacement matches my d3. it's possible your original one was a refresh, but i haven't heard of one coming out.

did your original d3's battery cover have any electrical contracts on it (corresponding to the four on the phone itself, southwest of the battery). if so it may have been the inductive charging cover.

OP
J

joefuf

Reaction score
did your original d3's battery cover have any electrical contracts on it (corresponding to the four on the phone itself, southwest of the battery). if so it may have been the inductive charging cover.

Weird, I didn't even notice that my new phone was missing that until just now. What is the difference in the design? Does that make it charge differently?

OP
J

joefuf

Reaction score
wait, so how do we know which model we have? i bought my droid 3 in august
In order to pull off the back on my original, it came from a top corner. Now, there is a slit in the top middle that I pull the back off.

rygaul44

Reaction score
Did you have a cover on the back for a charging pad?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

KZ_259

Reaction score
In order to pull off the back on my original, it came from a top corner. Now, there is a slit in the top middle that I pull the back off.

yes, i do have that top slit. so what is the difference between the droid 3s at the time of launch at the ones right now?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I don't think there is a difference in the D3 itself. The difference is the back cover. I think the OP might have had one with the capacitive cover that allows wireless charging. Other than that there's nothing else it could be.

LLR0717

theunknownn

Reaction score
I got the DROID 3 just over a week ago and I have the back with the slit in the middle to open it as well and the top button is somewhat difficult to press.. I have the XT862 software version if that helps (although I doubt it does), maybe someone can compare the old and new ones?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
J

joefuf

Reaction score
I don't think there is a difference in the D3 itself. The difference is the back cover. I think the OP might have had one with the capacitive cover that allows wireless charging. Other than that there's nothing else it could be.

LLR0717
I wasn't aware there was an option of getting one with the capacitive cover. I suppose they might have given me one originally by mistake if that really is all the difference.

I just wanted to see if there was any other difference. I wanted to ensure that there wasn't some sort of secret rollout with a feature I would be missing out on. I was able to fix my issues with USB connection from the top of this post by disabling USB debugging. Before this phone, I never had a problem using USB Mass Storage with USB Debugging enabled.

Is this something I should go to Verizon about and ask for the other cover back? I don't have a wireless charging pad...

Last edited:

doogald

Reaction score
The extended battery also comes with a cover that has the corner notch rather than the notch in the center. If you bought the D3 and installed the extended battery, that may explain that. It's hard to tell, as the extended battery does not make the phone all that thicker.

OP
J

joefuf

Reaction score
The extended battery also comes with a cover that has the corner notch rather than the notch in the center. If you bought the D3 and installed the extended battery, that may explain that. It's hard to tell, as the extended battery does not make the phone all that thicker.

I definitely didn't get the extended battery because they were out of stock. Good to know though. Maybe the store attendant was being nice and threw me one without saying anything.