Droid 3 not charging from laptop after phone's been completely dead.

DjTecniq

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a new Droid user. Have had my Droid 3 for atleast 2 months and there's a certain issue that's been bothering me. For some strange reason when my phone is completely dead it never charges or even turns on when it's plugged into my mac by usb port. However....when it's connected to my computer the "white" light still lights up on my phone but the phone will never charge or turn on while connected. What's interesting Is that when my phone does have battery life and I try to charge it to my mac it works perfectly fine when the phones in a working state and charges like normal. What I'm basically saying is the only way It can charge after the phones been completely dead is connected to the wall. Is that supposed to be normal? I love my droid 3 but I'd really like my phone to charge from my computer the same way as it does from the wall after the phones been completely dead. Am i making sense lol? I can confirm it is not the cable it is the original motorola usb cable and i've tried 2 cables and get the same result..."nothing" and when the phone has battery life I then plug it into my mac to fully charge and it works fine...is that wierd??? Please help me. I can even take a video to show the problem I'm having. Could there be something wrong with my Droid 3 or am I not powering it on correctly cause nothing works. I'm sitting here right now typing from my mac while my phone is connected to the usb and it's not even charging but the white "light" is lit on the phone....

OP
D

DjTecniq

Reaction score
Nevermind...My Droid 3 all of a sudden just came on. I guess after the phones been completely dead it takes 15-20 minutes? It literally took that long for my phone to finally power on and start charging. Has anyone else had this problem?

OP
D

DjTecniq

Reaction score
I was just talking to my girlfriend about the issue and then heard that robot noise "Drrroidddd" from my phone. I looked down at my phone and it's on and charging. These damn things have a mind of their own. Next time guess I'll just plug to the wall for faster service. Still curious tho..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The reason that its so hard to get your device to charge via the USB port on any computer is because the USB puts out such low voltage.. it worked great for dumb phones, but not so much with smart phones.. you're always better off charging your device with the wall charger and cable that it came with... :D

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
D

DjTecniq

Reaction score
The reason that its so hard to get your device to charge via the USB port on any computer is because the USB puts out such low voltage.. it worked great for dumb phones, but not so much with smart phones.. you're always better off charging your device with the wall charger and cable that it came with... :D

Gotcha, thanks for the reply. It's a Macbook Pro with high speed usb port so I woulda thought it would work immediately. I was about to go crazy over this issue. I'd like to purchase a longer motorola cable in the future. Where can I find those? The originals are just too short. My phone kinda just sits on the floor cause the cable doesn't reach my dresser. Oh well..I'm thinking about it too much.

OP
D

DjTecniq

Reaction score
you're always better off charging your device with the wall charger and cable that it came with... :D

To answer your question I was using the original cable that was connected to the mac.

SecretAgentMan

Reaction score
The white light displays when the phone is charging but is TOO WEAK to boot. When you see it flashing, be patient. It will eventually charge to the point where it can boot.