Phone will not connect to PC

hoboX10

Reaction score
When I plug my Droid 3 into the USB cable connected to my PC, it just charges. Doesn't ask if I want to connect as a mass storage device for anything. And no, there is not a USB icon at the top or anywhere on the screen.

I then installed Motorola's USB drivers and when I plugged it in it said Windows cannot recognize the USB device.

I THEN tried their developer's USB drivers and that had the same result as their regular drivers.

What's the deal?

nu2droid

Reaction score
Which cable are you using.
People have reported issues when they did not use the genuine cable that came with the phone.
Also, if you haven't done so already, try different ports on your pc.

Always start with the basics, let us know.
Also, what are you running? Stock, rooted, roms, etc

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
hoboX10

hoboX10

Reaction score
Which cable are you using.
People have reported issues when they did not use the genuine cable that came with the phone.
Also, if you haven't done so already, try different ports on your pc.

Always start with the basics, let us know.
Also, what are you running? Stock, rooted, roms, etc

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
First I was using my old LG cable but after Googling I had found that bit about using the Motorola Cable. So I found that cord and it had the same results.

I tried the second USB port on my laptop also.

It's the Droid 3 with Android 2.3.4. Standard Build from Verizon, nonrooted.

OP
hoboX10

hoboX10

Reaction score

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Thanks, but:

Yeah reason I posted that is because I've download other drivers before and had same issues as you but as soon as I installed the motohelper, it started to work on my PC.

Sorry to hear, it's still not working for you.

OP
hoboX10

hoboX10

Reaction score
Yeah reason I posted that is because I've download other drivers before and had same issues as you but as soon as I installed the motohelper, it started to work on my PC.

Sorry to hear, it's still not working for you.
No problem, so I guess you haven't seen other similar complaints? Or have any ideas on what to do?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
No problem, so I guess you haven't seen other similar complaints? Or have any ideas on what to do?

When you plug it in, and then pulldown the status bar, what options do you get besides "Charge Only"

OP
hoboX10

hoboX10

Reaction score
When you plug it in, and then pulldown the status bar, what options do you get besides "Charge Only"
Charge Only isn't even there. When I plug it in, the battery icon in the notification bar gets the little lightning bolt to show that it is charging, but that is it. Nothing else comes up or changes at all. Even when the drivers are installed.

jmpack

Reaction score
Same Issue

I have a Droid 3 replacing a faulty Droid 2. Plugging in the droid 2 with the same cable/computer brings up the usb connection on the notification bar. Only charging status came up on the replacement droid 3. I had them send me another droid 3. Same issue. I asked a lady with motorola tech support tier two to try to simulate the correct function on one of her demos, and she said the notification bar came up for her. I took my phone into a verizon store. Neither I nor an employee, whom also had a droid 3, could get a notification bar option to come up, testing a variety of cables/computer usb ports. The employee said I should wait for a update and that might fix it. I have 90days on this phone now to find a solution. I could try to root it and add a ROM that has a settings option for setting usb mode (vs automated detection), hope for an update (or even ICS!) to come out within 90 days, deal with no tethering/data sync, or try to get another phone. If there are people out there with working droid 3 usb mode connections - It makes me think I should try for another phone.

Indyultra

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my Droid 3 that I just got last week when I was using my LG cables, also would not connect to my Sync in my truck using the LG cable. But once I started using the Moto cables everything works just fine now. I get the drop down menu now and it connects to my Sync. The model number on the Moto cable is DICMUSBT.

REMilk

Reaction score
This sounds like a non-compatible cable. My wife had a LG ENV3 and this cable would not work with my Droid 3. I threw it away. Once I used a Motorola cable, it worked perfectly. I have also used other third-party cables that do not work; while some third-party cables work fine.

Your Motorola cable may be damaged.

Good Luck,
Bob

jmpack

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my Droid 3 that I just got last week when I was using my LG cables, also would not connect to my Sync in my truck using the LG cable. But once I started using the Moto cables everything works just fine now. I get the drop down menu now and it connects to my Sync. The model number on the Moto cable is DICMUSBT.

Hmm DICMUSBT appears to be a HTC cable...

I don't think it's the cable as it was working perfectly with my Droid 2, but they are cheap enough, I could test that.
Maybe Motorola SKN5004A MicroUSB Data Cable - would work?

Thanks for the feed back both of ya.
-j

Last edited:

Cdjones187

Reaction score
I don't know if there is mis-communication but I have to ask again. After you plug in the cable and the 'lightning' symbol appears in the status bar, when you pull down the status bar and press it, it doesnt come up with options? Example; When i plug my phone in, it comes up with "USB connection" and says "Select to manage your USB conncection" and when pressed a dialog comes up and give you these options; PC mode, Windows Media Sync, USB Mass Storage, and Charge Only. If those do not come up I would assume that the cable your using is bad and it thinks that its only plugged into a wall charger because its either missing the pins needed to tell the phone its a usb cable or the wires are just bad.

The model # on the cable is skn6378a, I dunno how the other guy ended up with a dicmusbt since it is a HTC cable.

http://www.discountcell.com/cellular/p/modroid-3_skn6378a_5

Im sure they can be found else ware for a lot cheaper but that is the STOCK cable that ships with the D3.

like amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-ECOM...FXNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323217760&sr=8-1

Last edited: