USB and Wifi Internet Tethering not working in Droid 3

RBenard

Reaction score
Hello Droid's,

I had an iPhone 3G and the internet tethering worked pretty well there, I've also tested my Sim on an old android HTC phone and worked fine with the usb tethering so I'm not sure why my Motorola Droid connection doesn't work.

Here's what happens, I turn on the usb tethering at the droid, and then when I connect to the PC I can see the connection icon, but there's no connection to the web, and that happens on Kubuntu 10, Windows XP and on Windows 7, I have the lastest drivers installed and I still can't connect to the web trough my PC, this same happens with the wifi tethering with an open and with an password (WPA-PSK2).

I have the stock rom and the android version is the 2.3.4

Any toughts?

Rafael

Brian1

Reaction score
Have you setup with Verizon for the tethering option in your service package? If not that may be the reason. Brian

OP
R

RBenard

Reaction score
Oh well, I forgot to mention that altough it's an Verizon phone I've unlocked it and I'm outside of USA, but with my Carrier the option for tethering it's enabled (tested in two other phones).

OP
R

RBenard

Reaction score
Bump, still looking for help, PDANet worked fine for the usb tethering but the Wifi still doesn't work :frown:

pistacio

Reaction score
Try bluetooth tethering? I use it with my Xoom occasionally, although I do have the TBH hotspot hack.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
With the stock ROM you have two options:

- PDANet works via USB. Give it a shot, I've had success with it, plus it charges the phone at the same time! (Remember if you haven't used it before that you need to download their PC client program as well.)

- Hack the radio file, which gives you wifi tethering, e.g, [GUIDE]TBH inspired Free wireless tethering hack instructions for Droid 3 - xda-developers. I haven't tried that route but have seen lots of positive comments on it.

As I understand, the stock firmware put in place by Verizon (don't think of them as the carrier, think of them as the phone reseller) prevents tethering. Not sure how PDANet bypasses the Verizon block with USB, but afaik there is no way to get wifi tethering without (a) a custom ROM or (b) modifying the radio file.

RE: Bluetooth -- I have an interesting observation: I've never succeeding in getting BT tethering to work to a PC -- HOWEVER (and this blew me away), you can BT tether with no modifications from your Droid 3 to an Android tablet. At least I have it working with my Asus Transformer and it's using all stock software. Cool AND free.

-Matt

odongo

Reaction score
Almost same problem here, i was able to tether mi 3g droid 3 signal over wifi with my defy+, but after installing maverick rom 4.5 it did'nt worked any more!

Connection establishes with no problem, but when i try to navigate (on defy+) it stays thinking with no result.

Any ideas?

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Try FoxFi from the play store. No root needed tether.

odongo

Reaction score
vbhokiefan said:
Try FoxFi from the play store. No root needed tether.

Ive tried with FoxFi, but same problem: devices connect correctly to my droid 3 but doesn't navigate... Any other advice?

Sent from my DROID3 using Droid Forums

odongo

Reaction score
karrth said:
Are your devices getting an IP address/DNS servers from your phone?

Nop. They connect but dont navigate. I think they are not getting an ip address. I was able to before i installed 906 update.

Any solution?

jojoferari

Reaction score
When you tried foxfi did you switch airplane mode on and off? Worked for me...

alowbman

Reaction score
I am on. 906 OTA and running Mavrom 4.5. I have foxfi on my D3 and pdanet tablet on my ASUS Transformer T300t. If tethers without any problems via bluetooth.

odongo

Reaction score
alowbman said:
I am on. 906 OTA and running Mavrom 4.5. I have foxfi on my D3 and pdanet tablet on my ASUS Transformer T300t. If tethers without any problems via bluetooth.

Well im trying to figure out why i cant as you do.. it will be great to fix it.

karrth

Reaction score
Make sure your device is getting an IP address from your phone first. If it is, try pinging your phone from your tethered device. If that works, try pinging something else, like google.com. Also try a DNS lookup by typing "nslookup google.com" or something similar in the terminal.