Motorola Droid 2 Reviews

asforel

Reaction score
Looks like the Droid 2 reviews have finally started landing. I wonder why they didn’t release early units for review? Jane said in the first of her review about Motorola Droid 2

image_thumb59.png

Wrap up...There’s no question that the Droid 1 was entering its twilight years, especially in the aftermath of the Droid X’s release; Motorola and Verizon knew they needed to bring the old model up to spec if they wanted to keep a quality physical QWERTY Android device on the shelves. The problem is that in doing so, they’ve killed off one of the Droid’s most endearing features — the fact that it ran stock Android — and have failed to make any improvements compelling enough to warrant an upgrade. In other words, Droid owners, don’t feel bad that your phone has been replaced here; in fact, we’re pretty sure we’d rather have a Froyo-equipped Droid over a Droid 2, especially since the 2′s new processor fails to translate into huge performance gains that you can feel in your day-to-day usage.

Continue reading.....
tongue.gif

feyvorite

Reaction score
I think the debate is to whether the Droid X or Droid 2 is better. There is no debate about Droid vs. Droid 2. The concluding statement makes no sense. Having had both (including Droid with Froyo on it), the Droid 2 is much snappier (with an upgraded processor and twice the RAM). The speed is worth the $200. Don't get me wrong. I loved my Droid 1, but I'm very happy, thus far, with the Droid 2.
Also, much more room for Apps. I am already much faster on the new keyboard.

jarofclay

Reaction score
Droid 1 OC Root w/2.2 > Droid 2.

Having owned both I would say the D2 will be great phone once a root method is found. Until then, the D1 overclocked with Cyan or another great ROM is just a better experience all around.

moneymatt

Reaction score
Looks like the Droid 2 reviews have finally started landing. I wonder why they didn’t release early units for review? Jane said in the first of her review about Motorola Droid 2

image_thumb59.png

Wrap up...There’s no question that the Droid 1 was entering its twilight years, especially in the aftermath of the Droid X’s release; Motorola and Verizon knew they needed to bring the old model up to spec if they wanted to keep a quality physical QWERTY Android device on the shelves. The problem is that in doing so, they’ve killed off one of the Droid’s most endearing features — the fact that it ran stock Android — and have failed to make any improvements compelling enough to warrant an upgrade. In other words, Droid owners, don’t feel bad that your phone has been replaced here; in fact, we’re pretty sure we’d rather have a Froyo-equipped Droid over a Droid 2, especially since the 2′s new processor fails to translate into huge performance gains that you can feel in your day-to-day usage.

Continue reading.....
tongue.gif

I dunno, I definitely feel the performance gains. Especially if you factor flash and multi-tasking into the operation.
The extra 256 megs of RAM definitely keeps it from locking down when multi-tasking that happens on the droid-1.
The keyboard is way better as well.

I was never overclocking my droid-1 tho because I feared stability and heating issues. I'd rather have my phone's reliability backed by verizon then a rom hacker imho.

A no-brainer for a droid-1 lover since day-1. Investing $200 into something you depend on everyday seems like a great deal to me.

I also don't understand how she can say the Incredible is a huge step up from a droid-2.. Lower res screen, no keyboard, horrible battery life..
Whatever.

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cuz she is probably going solely on Sense UI. I will take batter battery life, reception and call quality over Sense UI anyday. I wouldnt say an Inc is a huge step up. I wouldnt even say the Inc is a step up. I would say they are comparable.

From the 2nd review:

And when the original is getting the Froyo treatment, the only thing that makes the DROID 2 superior are the stronger internals.

The internals alone make it a good phone. Normally that usually does. Launcher Pro made a world of difference on the orig Droid, even after Froyo, on the X and it will work wonders on the Droid 2.

Last edited:

xandor

Reaction score
Cuz she is probably going solely on Sense UI. I will take batter battery life, reception and call quality over Sense UI anyday. I wouldnt say an Inc is a huge step up. I wouldnt even say the Inc is a step up. I would say they are comparable.

From the 2nd review:

And when the original is getting the Froyo treatment, the only thing that makes the DROID 2 superior are the stronger internals.
The internals alone make it a good phone. Normally that usually does. Launcher Pro made a world of difference on the orig Droid, even after Froyo, on the X and it will work wonders on the Droid 2.

I second the Launcher Pro comment. I just wish they could get the wifi/3g weirdness taken care of.

jdon285

Reaction score
I just received the D2 and love the hardware upgrades. My biggest complaint is all the unnecessary "Bloatware"! I would really like to get rid of Backup assistant and Blockbuster among many other things.
All in all I think this is a nice upgrade to the D1, root will be nice just to get rid of the resource clogging extras.
And I totally agree with Launcher Pro, awesome program that changes the "stock" experience.

Jack

WhiteSoul8

Reaction score
So far, I am loving the Droid 2! I just upgraded from the Droid 1.

The Droid 2 resolved my Droid 1 complaints. Firstly, the physical keyboard is much easier for me to type on. Secondly, the repositioning of the microphone has resolved all of my sound quality complaints that were expressed by people I've made telephone calls to. Thirdly, the Droid 2 seems to have smoother scrolling and touch screen response.

I'm also really enjoying the MotoBlur widgets. I don't recall having seen these on my Droid 1.

Closing comments - I only had the Droid 1 for about a month, and I was ready to throw it out the window. I felt the whole experience was lacking. For some reason, Droid 2 combined with 2.2 feels like a much more integrated experience. Not to bash, however, I also have an Iphone - the Droid 1 made me think "Why would anyone choose this thing over the Iphone? - It feels like a modified cell phone with no distinct features to make it totally useable." After using the Droid 2 for a few days, I find myself ignoring the iPhone and picking up the Droid 2 for my smartphone tasks.

Mdelisle25

Reaction score
im going to be getting my new D2 real soon, and looking at some of the things people dont enjoy like a small virtual keyboard, but it seems like swype plus voice and a phys keyboard seems to make that a rather stupid argument. and the camera is better than mine so i cant complain.

only problem is all the extra preloaded stuff im not sure how much i need. i dont know just a simple look at things