Motorola Extended Battery for Droid 2???

davagain

Reaction score
I've tried both the BP7X and the fat 3500MA very extended battery. They both work well. The BP7X fits in most places the BP6X would fit. The 3500MA battery gives much longer battery life but has an ugly bump and won't fir into docks. The extra life is worth it for me, as I am a heavy user. You can find it quite cheap on ebay.

mfendley

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the extended battery in the car dock?

Another post said that the extended battery added the thickness of a quarter to it. I taped 2 quarters to the back of my D2G and it seemed to fit OK. Just wondering if someone has actually tested it.

Thanks.

Got my bp7x battery yesterday and it does fit in the D2G car mount and also in the home cradle. Also fits in the belt pouch.
I use the motorola extended battery with the included cover, and this combo still fits in the multimedia dock as well as the car dock. This fits in the motorola holster, but I am currently using the clip.

XanRules

Reaction score
how about the Innocell batteries from Seidio? They were tha shiznit when I had a BlackBerry.

Also, can anybody post a side-view photo of the extended battery/battery door installed? I'm not a case user, I just want to see what the bump is like. :)

Reaction score
how about the Innocell batteries from Seidio? They were tha shiznit when I had a BlackBerry.

Also, can anybody post a side-view photo of the extended battery/battery door installed? I'm not a case user, I just want to see what the bump is like. :)

There was a big hooplah where certain Droid Seidio batteries were quite probably (it was never proven) cheap chinese batteries with much lower mAh ratings that were repackaged and sold for a huge profit. Most people don't buy their batteries anymore, but their cases were too hard for me to pass up..

Also, if you search the forums or google, you can see the battery/battery door. It adds less than the thickness of a quarter to the phone.

Syko

Reaction score
I recently picked up the extended battery and as much as I wanted it to succeed, it has not.

With the stock battery, after approximately 12 hours of moderate use (moderate use being about a dozen phone calls, some texting here & there, maybe a combined total of 1 hour of gaming, web browsing and accessing other misc apps thru-out the day) I would usually be down to 30%. This extended battery, after the same type of usage is down to around 40% after 12 hours. I've heard of some people using their phones heavily all day and only losing 30% with the extended battery so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I did do the "wipe battery stats" thing and gained a bit but nothing as drastic at some people have claimed to get.

Before upgrading, I was doing many of the battery saving tricks I've read about and my whole reason for getting the extended battery was so I wouldn't have to worry about all that and still have life to spare at the end of the day before I plug it in for the nite. With such a minor increase over the stock battery, I am rather disappointed. :(

Syko

Reaction score
Will do and thanks. I'll use it like normal tomorrow and then take a screen shot of the battery manager stats tomorrow nite and post them up when I get home from work.

Syko

Reaction score
Go into battery manager and tell us what your highest using apps are.

OK. Here's a screen shot after normal use today:
snap20110310_190150.png

The phone is now at 30% after 12 hours.

My display shows a total "on time" of 1h45m. Much of that screen on time was a mixture of different apps and checking my calendar all of which was usually a minute or so. I think my longest usage at one time was about a 5 minute session of WordsWithFriends and another 5 minute session navigating dropbox.

I almost always shut the screen off manually rather than let it time out but it's set at 30 seconds even if I did let it time out. The brightness is set to automatic.

Bluetooth is always off.

I only turned on wifi while at work. The signal is strong and it is set to never shut off unless I turn it off. That only accounted for 3% of my battery use (not seen in the pic).

GPS was only turned on when I needed it which was 3 times to refresh my location on Fancy Widget.

Speaking of Fancy Widget....I wonder why it is so high on my list since I have the automatic refresh turned off and only accessed it to refresh once in the morning, once @ lunch time & once when I got home.

Looks like ADW is quite the hog. Is anyone else having issues with it? In the last few days I've noticed it has been excessively laggy. I'm guessing, because it's at the top of my battery usage list, ADW is not playing nice. When I first installed it when they first release EX, it lagged a bit with the transitions but once it settled in and after an update it rarely lagged at all. Now it randomly gets laggy, and sometimes hangs and/or forcecloses.

Not sure why AppBrain is on this list. I did not open it once today. I did open the market. Will AppBrain work on its own?

Another observation from recent days: I can't use my phone for more than 1/2 hour before it hits a temp of 100 degrees F and higher. I am overclocked but when I revert the clocking back to stock I still experience this overheating issue. Is this normal? I can't get more than 20-30 mins of Angry Birds in before my overclock profile for high temp kicks in and slows everything down. Now, I'm starting to wonder if ADW has something to do with all this.

Not sure if this helps but here's my profile set up in overclock:
snap20110310_192204.png

I'm using Squidly's ROM if it makes diagnosing easier.

It kills me when I read how someone with this extended battery can carry on a 2 hour gaming session and only lose 10%-20% of battery life. I'll plug it in tonite and play off & on & by midnite I'll be back down to 50%. That just not at all what I expected.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I quit using ADW the same day I started, so I'm not very familiar with it... However, that being said, my launcher (whether I'm using the "stock" launcher in Fission or LauncherPro) never seems to be more than 3 or 5% of the total battery use, and that's when I've been messing with it a lot, so I'd say 31% for a launcher is abnormally high...

I dunno about only losing 20% during 2 hours of gaming but for example, I have a D2G, which is usally faster, with worse battery life (though I see you have overclocked your D2 to the same speed), and here's how I did yesterday with my extended battery.

jbXQK.png

8% left after

TtAPV.png

For reference, during that 15.5 hours, I played roughly 9.5 hours of MP3s at work, did 20 mins of web browsing and general tomfoolery online, sent and received 20 or so texts, made about 20 mins of voice calls, and re downloaded and updated about 20 apps from appbrain (via wifi). I have my 3G (wifi anywhere it's available) on all the time, with gmail set to push, and screen brightness on auto.

15-24 Hours is pretty average for me if I don't take any steps to conserve my battery (though I have SetCPU profiles that slow my processor down progressively as my battery gets lower, like you do). Yesterday's life was kind of short due to the fact that I spent about 1/2 of that time in an area with no signal, which drastically shortens battery life.

When I first got my phone and extended battery, I was OCD with my battery saving measures, and would turn my data off all the time, except when I was actively using it, keep my screen set to the lowest I could still use it, etc etc... That let me see 36+ hours out of a charge. You should check how long you go without signal on a daily basis, many people are surprised at how high the % is, and what it can do to your battery life. For example, if you work in an area with no reception, turn off your 3G and/or go into airplane mode. Use Wifi whenever available, etc.

Syko

Reaction score
I quit using ADW the same day I started, so I'm not very familiar with it... However, that being said, my launcher (whether I'm using the "stock" launcher in Fission or LauncherPro) never seems to be more than 3 or 5% of the total battery use, and that's when I've been messing with it a lot, so I'd say 31% for a launcher is abnormally high...

That's what I thought too. No more than 10% for the Launcher is what I remember seeing at any given time. For some reason, the last week or so (right about the time I started using the extended battery) it has really changed for the worse and I have no idea what I did to trigger it. ADW hasn't updated in awhile so no change with it and I've been running Squidly's 2.3.20.1 ROM with the Serenity theme for a couple months now with no changes. My guess is there must be some app that updated recently that caused a conflict.

Last nite, I froze ADW in Titanium to see what difference I get using the stock launcher. Instantly, I noticed a performance improvement. No lag in transitions from screen to screen. No lag when scrolling thru my 500+ contacts. And more importantly, no lag while playing Angry Birds! Even when my temperature caused the underclock profile to kick in the lag was minimal at best. Over the last couple days, Angry Birds was near unplayable even when the temp was normal.

I did have one glitch. This morning, after I unplugged the phone, I put it in the holster and left for work. Once at work @ 45 minutes later, I grabbed my phone and the screen was on, the battery was down to 80% and the temp was 102F. I looked at the battery manager and the display showed to have been on for the entire 45 minutes! Not sure what that was all about but a reboot seems to have cured the problem.

Time will tell but my prediction is a vastly improved battery life with the stock launcher. I'll have a better idea after today. If so, I will be bummed unless I can figure out how to fix ADW because I have come to rely on and use many of the features on a daily basis.

I dunno about only losing 20% during 2 hours of gaming but for example, I have a D2G, which is usally faster, with worse battery life (though I see you have overclocked your D2 to the same speed), and here's how I did yesterday with my extended battery.

8% left after

For reference, during that 15.5 hours, I played roughly 9.5 hours of MP3s at work, did 20 mins of web browsing and general tomfoolery online, sent and received 20 or so texts, made about 20 mins of voice calls, and re downloaded and updated about 20 apps from appbrain (via wifi). I have my 3G (wifi anywhere it's available) on all the time, with gmail set to push, and screen brightness on auto.

It sounds like much of our settings and uses are similar with the exception of the mp3 player. I have a different device for that but the fact that you are using your phone for playing music for 9+ hours is giving me that much more reason to believe something is jacked up.

15-24 Hours is pretty average for me if I don't take any steps to conserve my battery (though I have SetCPU profiles that slow my processor down progressively as my battery gets lower, like you do). Yesterday's life was kind of short due to the fact that I spent about 1/2 of that time in an area with no signal, which drastically shortens battery life.

When I first got my phone and extended battery, I was OCD with my battery saving measures, and would turn my data off all the time, except when I was actively using it, keep my screen set to the lowest I could still use it, etc etc... That let me see 36+ hours out of a charge. You should check how long you go without signal on a daily basis, many people are surprised at how high the % is, and what it can do to your battery life. For example, if you work in an area with no reception, turn off your 3G and/or go into airplane mode. Use Wifi whenever available, etc.

As far as signal, I keep wifi on whenever I have wifi signal to do so. The last time I lost 3g signal was for 2 seconds back on Feb 21st so I'm pretty confident that isn't an issue. I'm getting no real extended time from this battery over my stock one. Maybe an hour or 2 at the most. It's sad because my girlfriend has the same ROM, the same theme on the same phone with the stock battery and she gets the same battery life as I do with the extended.

I'll keep you posted on what I find after a day of normal use with the stock launcher. I plugged it in after my glitch today and rebooted after the charge was complete. That was @ 9am and at 10am I still showed 100% so it's off to a good start.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm at work, so can't give a full reply, but can I suggest you check out launcherpro? I like it better than ADW, and it runs smoother for me... The ability to hide icons in the app drawer, as well as up to three scrollable docks, with 5 icons each, which can have swipe actions, for up to 30 actions on your dock alone are really nice.

Syko

Reaction score
I'm at work, so can't give a full reply, but can I suggest you check out launcherpro? I like it better than ADW, and it runs smoother for me... The ability to hide icons in the app drawer, as well as up to three scrollable docks, with 5 icons each, which can have swipe actions, for up to 30 actions on your dock alone are really nice.

I played with LauncherPro a little today and I like it. There are still some things that ADW does that LP doesn't and vice versa. I wish I could take the best things from both of them and make one launcher to rule them all. ;)

As far as my test run with no ADW today. At first it seemed that my battery life would be much better when after 5 hours I was still at 80%. But at the end of the day, the end result was not much different from before. Here's the screenshot of the battery manager. This was at near 12 hours and down to 20%. :(

snap20110311_205418.png

Now, as you can see, Android OS has taken the high percentage of use.

I did use the phone a bit more today with some fooling around customizing my home screens and playing with LauncherPro as well as some new Angry Birds Seasons. I also left the GPS switch on all day and put Fancy Widget on a 2 hour refresh cycle but amazingly it didn't even make my list in the picture above and my total talk time on the phone was about 30 minutes. If I had played music for 9 hours in addition to this, I would totally understand the battery drain.

On a positive note, the overheating and lag has reduced quite significantly.

I've been holding off going to Squidly's latest ROM because I was so happy with my current set up but with the battery improvements he's done with it, maybe now is the time. Couldn't hurt.

Reaction score
I seem to have been reading a LOT of recent posts about Android OS suddenly taking up large amounts of battery... I swear there must be an update to a popular app that's causing problems...

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
So what's the procedure in using a new extended battery. Do I charge it up as soon I get it or do I use it and let it drain then fully charged it and reset stats?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App