Droid 2 First Impressions!!! awful!!!

Twitch043

Reaction score
I want to get the Droid 2, but am hesitant because of so many complaints about not being able to change the font size. I see where you can download various apps but I also see that when you do that, it often doesn't work. Before I buy the Droid 2, I want to know that yes, you can change the font size for email, text, global, etc. and have it stay that way. Also, I use AOL, can I put an AOL icon on the "desktop" and not go through aol.com to retrieve it or have it all forwarded to gmail. For many reasons, I need to use AOL and don't want to use the forward feature. If anyone knows any of the answers to these questions, I would appreciate the info. Thanks!

You can just make the AOL Mail page a bookmark and put a shortcut to the bookmark on your desktop (whatever you call it, you know what i mean). That's what I do for Hotmail.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
the alternate recovery images have nothing to do with the bootloader or encryption keys. i am pretty sure that the bootloader has not even been touched yet as birdman used some other workaround to load the recovery image. as far as i know you can't do backups, and its a nonfunctional image. sorry to say, there's not going to be any custom ROMs for the d2 or the X, anytime soon.

My mistake confusing the bootloader with the recovery image. However, I stand by my statement that progress is being made in hacking the X, and by extension the D2.

Nonfunctional now, but next week? Next month? Who knows. It's a great first step, like when they first got temporary root on the Incredible. Baby steps are still steps. :)

Zahoor

Reaction score
i think the d2 is great on paper. Interested on more reports of battery life if anyone has any links. I am just upset the bootloader is locked....

Birdman has succeeded in loading an alternate recovery image on the X. That means there's progress hacking the Motorola encryption chips. The D2 should soon follow once the X is cracked.

What does this mean? Forgive my noobiness

It means no easy path to hack the phone for custom ROMs. It also means no custom recovery images till it's hacked. For some people, the best part of rooting their Droid is the ability to make super backups called Nandroids, Nandroid backups, or Clockwork backups.

the alternate recovery images have nothing to do with the bootloader or encryption keys. i am pretty sure that the bootloader has not even been touched yet as birdman used some other workaround to load the recovery image. as far as i know you can't do backups, and its a nonfunctional image. sorry to say, there's not going to be any custom ROMs for the d2 or the X, anytime soon.

U my kind sir are completely misinformed...i have the recovery image on my droid x and i just made a clockworld backup a few hours a go...i can load update.zips on my droid x now...my guess by next week this time there will be a few droid x roms floating around :)

Xemnova

Reaction score
To furbearingmammal,

turns out I don't know what the flat keyboard is like. I thought all the Droid keyboards were the same. Turns out there are 2 different keyboards. There's the flat one like you have, and then theres a sort of bubbled one like I have. So I guess I don't know what I'm talking about hahaha. My bad. I can't find the post I saw the 2 keyboard pictures on though.

Edit: mind change again haha
trying to find my post I was thinking about it and I thought my keyboard was flat when I first got it.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/27399-new-droid-keyboard.html
Gardobus brings up a point. If that's true then I do know what you're talking about with the flat keyboard but mine just changed from use and I forgot about how it used to be.

Last edited:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
The hardware keyboard sucks. I love having it, but it sucks.
How does it suck? I've never figured out why people have such complaints about the Droid keyboard. My previous phone had a keyboard that is probably much like the Droid 2 keyboard and I'd prefer the Droid keyboard over it. The trac pad is a plus :D
I like the d-pad, don't get me wrong, but there's no real feel to the keys and I have big hands, so I can't navigate it well even if I'm staring at it while typing. That and the stickers aren't secured all that well marking the keys. The spacebar has that weird angle to it, too, and that doesn't help.

I got my Droid 3 weeks after it came out and hated the keyboard at first too. Since then I have gotten used to it and can live with it. The one on my enV (original) is much better, but I can type almost as fast on the Droid keyboard. I tried the Droid 2 a few days ago and I didn't find it any better than the Droid keyboard. I prefer the Droid one overall. Now I don't have fat fingers, so that might be why I don't find it that terrible.

What is the spacebar angle problem? Mine is flat. The keys feel like they are a bit domed, but I can't see any curvature, so I don't know which one I have.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Hmm, maybe I need to use it more... but it's unpleasant for me to use for any length of time and after I damaged my left thumb at 4 years old with a box cutter and had at least 8 hours of emergency surgery on it...

Anyway, I wish it were better designed from the get-go, but at least I have hope.

Thank you, thank you, kind Droid owner, for giving me hope again! :D

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
How does it suck? I've never figured out why people have such complaints about the Droid keyboard. My previous phone had a keyboard that is probably much like the Droid 2 keyboard and I'd prefer the Droid keyboard over it. The trac pad is a plus :D
I like the d-pad, don't get me wrong, but there's no real feel to the keys and I have big hands, so I can't navigate it well even if I'm staring at it while typing. That and the stickers aren't secured all that well marking the keys. The spacebar has that weird angle to it, too, and that doesn't help.

I got my Droid 3 weeks after it came out and hated the keyboard at first too. Since then I have gotten used to it and can live with it. The one on my enV (original) is much better, but I can type almost as fast on the Droid keyboard. I tried the Droid 2 a few days ago and I didn't find it any better than the Droid keyboard. I prefer the Droid one overall. Now I don't have fat fingers, so that might be why I don't find it that terrible.

What is the spacebar angle problem? Mine is flat. The keys feel like they are a bit domed, but I can't see any curvature, so I don't know which one I have.
My space bar is angled down from the top towards the bottom (when opened). It doesn't always press right when I hit it as a result.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

My space bar is angled down from the top towards the bottom (when opened). It doesn't always press right when I hit it as a result.

Perhaps there is a lot of variation from production lot to lot. It is far from perfect, but I find it a lot easier to use than the virtual keyboard. Still, I would be very happy if it were as good as the enV keyboard, but that design would make the phone thicker. I'd take that trade-off, but most probably wouldn't.