Motorcycle Mounting in Waterproof Bag???

xtremeosiris

Reaction score
Motorcycle Mounting Droid in Waterproof Bag???

I have trying to figure out a relatively inexpensive way of mounting my droid to the tank of my motorcycle allowing me to use the screen for navigation but also protecting it some any unforeseen rain or whatnot. I found this pouch and was thinking of maybe gluing some magnets to the backside or place a business card like magnet inside the pouch to hold it in place.

Amazon.com: Aquapac Waterproof Case Fits iPhone and iPod Touch Droid: Electronics

Will the magnets affect the Droid in any way negatively? Anybody seen any better options? Would like on tank, not mounted to handlebars. Want to be able to use the screen without removing from case. Ideas? Only downside I see so far is that if wanted to go for longer ride, there is no hole for a charging cord. I look forward to any suggestions.

Matt

ronhawker

Reaction score
>>I have trying to figure out a relatively inexpensive way of mounting my droid to the tank of my motorcycle allowing me to use the screen for navigation but also protecting it some any unforeseen rain or whatnot. I found this pouch and was thinking of maybe gluing some magnets to the backside or place a business card like magnet inside the pouch to hold it in place.

I am using the stock Motorola car mount that has the suction cup for the window and setting on the tank in front of my tank bag. Works very well. The deluxe mount has a case that snaps on the back of the Droid to attach to the mount. I then run a 12v cigarette lighter attachment and plug in a charger to keep the battery up. I run a Chatterbox XBi bluetooth in my helmet and now have full turn-by-turn and music piped to my helmet and have the cell phone function as well. I really don't address the water proofing as I live in Arizona and that's really not a problem. But, I carry a ziplock in case of rain if I need it.

OP
X

xtremeosiris

Reaction score
I have thought about the suction mounts. Does it have to be really flat or still plenty strong on the semi curved surface? Also have you hit some good bumps with it? Live in east Texas and there are tons of poor pothole patches that are pretty rough. I like the idea of the Bluetooth too. Oh also I have the Otter Box case, know of any suction mounts that can accommodate that without having to take off each time?

ronhawker

Reaction score
Motorcycle Mounting Droid in Waterproof Bag???

Here are some pictures of the mount on my bike. Notice the back plate for the Droid which is included in the Motorola Deluxe mount. I don't use the front plate that comes with it.

Attachments

• P1010367a.jpg
    P1010367a.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,412
  • P1010368a.jpg
    P1010368a.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 634
  • P1010369a.jpg
    P1010369a.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 765
  • P1010371a.jpg
    P1010371a.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 587
  • P1010372a.jpg
    P1010372a.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 677

DJTURNz

Reaction score
So you are using the suction cup on the tank, but also have your tank bag straps holding it place. I'm not sure if I'd like that or not. If it works though, it works.
There are minimalistic tank bags that are basically a map pocket. Though I don;t know if the touch screen would work. I wear gloves when I ride, so it's moot to me. I also would like to mount my droid so I can follow navigation.

jslmnsn

Reaction score
ram mounts makes a perfect stem mount for any bike. if you can use the pouch from djturnz link with it, that would be ideal

CaDucatiMan

Reaction score
2601-20-k1.jpg

I know that is not a Droid-X in there but it will fit. I was thinking of running this case. Its from the otterbox PDA line. If someone wanted to bar mount it I am thinking making a plate for the inside of the back that matches the pattern of a RAM mount ball and thru bolting it with the case back sandwiched between the fabricated plate and the plate of the ball.

I could hard mount the case to my dual sport thumper. I have super moto street wheels with sticky tires and a set of stock wheels with wicked knobbies. However on my other bike the Ducati SBK there is really no place to put it pn the bars or near the clocks so I am thinking that sewing or otherwise modding a tank bag to put the droid x where the map pocket was is the best choice for that bike.

I am still looking over headsets.. The three I am looking at are the J&M bluetooth, the chatterbox bluetooth and the collet electronics bluetooth.

rlfitz

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the mount on my bike. Notice the back plate for the Droid which is included in the Motorola Deluxe mount. I don't use the front plate that comes with it.

I like that. nice job.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the pictures and gives me some ideas for mounting my droid with my window mount. I wonder if you've ever had a problem with the droid flying out of the case though. I think an easy solution would be rubberbands to hold it in the case while riding.

TwoBuells

Reaction score
I'm glad to see I'm not the only nut to mount his Droid to a motorcycle...

I used the Motorola Cradle, took off the inside cover and drilled four holes, amps pattern, and used Ram mounts to attach to handlebars. The inside cover back on also after bolting the cradle to my ram mount.

IMG_4082.jpg

VTRweasel

Reaction score
Tank bag in map holder? That's where I put my GPS plus you have all the extra storage room to double as a man purse.

Not mine but you get the idea...

P1020447.jpg