Moto Z Getting Oreo "In a Few Weeks"

though I don't have a moto, when I upgraded, the battery life was better.
My battery life was better on 7.1 than it was on 7.0. But not on 8.0. Your battery is probably less than 12 months old and probably only the first or second OS update on your phone. For us this is our third major OS update on batteries that are over 18 months old. There have been about a dozen posts just today for bad battery drain on the Z Play. Just today. Uggghhhh

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

wonder if it has to do with the specific phone model, my phone upgraded to 8.0. there were also reports of poor battery from other users but not with me. but then I cleared the cache immediately after the update. but then I wonder if the battery issue could have been caused by all the app updated needed because of the new os.

So did I. Twice.

You have 8.1 though, correct?

My phone will be lasting longer anyway. I had an old 7" tablet (still on KK) that I used for a reader and some surfing but it was old and slow. For father's day my wife got me a Samsung Tab A 8" 32gb tablet. Its night and day when compared to my old tablet. I'll be doing more on this than before so that means less on my phone so the battery will last longer.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy or scare anyone out of upgrading. Most folks that hang out here know that I am usually always positive. When we received 7.1 I made many posts about great battery life. I am just being honest about my phone on 8.0 and many other Z owners; I'm not gonna say "my battery life is great" when it is not. Since this is the last OS update we will see on the Moto Z, Z Force and Z Play I say go for it, upgrade. Your phone will bug you to all the time anyway, so go for it. But we can't always expect miracles from the third new OS when our phones are this old and our batteries are getting close to that magical 1000 charge cycle mark. For me, I can milk it along until the Z3 Force (or whatever it might be called) is released. I have been planning on a new phone later this Summer all along. My Z Force Droid will still be a good backup phone, and since I never kept my Original Droid I am keeping this one just to have the last Droid phone produced.

Aren't we all?

So true. We know these phones inside and out. Many people don't even know what kind of phone they have let alone the specs and differences between them. Case in point, when I was looking for a case for my Z Droid I was reading the reviews. The description clearly said the case would only fit the Z and not the Play or the Force. Yet there were so many negative reviews because the case was to thin for their phone (Force) or or didn't have an opening for the headphone jack (Play). When we talk about phones at work I mention that I have an Android and they reply "I don't have an Android I have a Samsung". One guy at work was excited that he got a new phone. It was a Moto G. I asked him if he updated it yet. He didn't know you were supposed to update it after you got it.

Back