Moto Droid - WiFi connectivity issue

SpudDogg

Reaction score
First, hello all, long time reader here. This is a shot in the dark but I figured I would ask anyway.

I have no issues connecting to my (or any for that matter) wireless network. The problem is, after a few minutes of browsing around on the phone, I'll suddenly get a "A network error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen." This will continue no matter how many times I hit retry...I usually just have to turn off the WiFi and just use 3G. Occasionally turning the wifi off then back on will solve the issue for a few more minutes but inevitably "A network error has occurred...."

Any ideas?

Moto Droid, rooted, OCed to 900Mhz, Smoked Glass 5.0.1 (Problem was there when phone was stock also)

willmiller82

Reaction score
I had the same issue after going from cyanogen then going back to a rooted 2.01, Try going into your wireless setting and choose the wifi connection you've been connecting too and instead of connecting manually choose the forget option. wait a couple minutes and then manually reconnect again. This worked for me, I hope it helps.

OP
S

SpudDogg

Reaction score
I'll try that, thanks.

If the problem persists after that, any more ideas? Anyone?

bloodstains

Reaction score
I kind of have this problem too. Often it won't mention a problem, web pages just stop loading. Full wireless signal, just after browsing for a little bit it just stops loading pages. I'm pretty much just in the habit of using wifi for the first ten minutes of browsing, 3g for the rest.

This has happened ever since I got it in december. Nothing has changed regardless of whether I'm stock, rooted, droidmod, blackdroid, bb, etc.

bloodstains

Reaction score
I kind of have this problem too. Often it won't mention a problem, web pages just stop loading. Full wireless signal, just after browsing for a little bit it just stops loading pages. I'm pretty much just in the habit of using wifi for the first ten minutes of browsing, 3g for the rest.

This has happened ever since I got it in december. Nothing has changed regardless of whether I'm stock, rooted, droidmod, blackdroid, bb, etc.

zero7404

Reaction score
i too experience this ... or should i say it in past tense ...
ive manually set up my home connection on the fone a few times and so far its working steady. i have wpa2-aes encryption, so since i havent had any hangs recently i think maybe the problem might have been with android connectivity ....

edit: i guess i spoke too soon .... same problem as the op ... maybe if we hold our breath for android 3.0 we might see a fix ?

Last edited:

stopthebus

Reaction score
I've read through a lot to find this post.
I have the exact same problem, sometime it stay online longer than other times. I can never download anything. Wifi setting is always "connected" and signal is good.
Just got my droid two days ago, any help would be greatly appreciated. Hate to have to send it back, but this is not acceptable.

Droid 2.1
Airport extreme dual band

zero7404

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem, sometime it stay online longer than other times. I can never download anything. Wifi setting is always "connected" and signal is good.
Just got my droid two days ago, any help would be greatly appreciated. Hate to have to send it back, but this is not acceptable.

Droid 2.1

do you run WPA2-AES or TKIP ?

stopthebus

Reaction score

Droid 2.1

do you run WPA2-AES or TKIP ?

I've tried WPA/WPA2 Personal
I've tried WPA2 Personal
The other options are WEP, 802.xx Enterprise and no encryption.
List of components on the network, all are working fine.
iMac - wired - 1GB
Win7 PC - Wired - 1GB
Win7 Thinkpad - Wireless - N
Xbox 360 - Wired - 100MB
PS3 - Wired - 100MB
Wii - Wireless - G
Canon MP860 - Wireless - G
iPod Touch - Wireless - G

I found a work-around, but it's not going to be a long term fix (don't want to). The iMac is wired to the router, so I use internet sharing on it and set up the airport card on the iMac as an AP (computer to computer) with no encryption.
I have a couple of apps that required WIFI(not 3G) to donwload data, only on first run but still required nonetheless. I am pretty sure there are other apps that would have the same requirement down the line.

bjzwrld

Reaction score
Well this is the problem I have... I can connect to a friend's network fine & I can even connect to my secured work network consistent and without breakdown in connection. But my POS AIRLINK101 AR325W (I know...CHEAP) will only pass resolution for a moment before dying, like just ABOUT everybody else in this thread (except I don't remember mine lasting anymore than 1 min or 2). I have also tried using a static IP.
This began from day one (DEC 09) & continues on a DROID replacement. It also continues after rooting of the latest DROID & application of the cyanogenmod.
I have tried WPA & 2 flavors & WEP on the router. Just won't hold the connection.
Now this is the kicker...while connected, I can consistently connect through RDP to other devices on my network. So my breakdown comes when trying to surf the "Outside".
I have gone through the settings on the router and haven't found anything I can see that would prevent it, or anything I could set to alleviate it. ANY IDEAS!?!?!?!!

Pretty convinced it is the router.

Last edited:

Cathbad

Reaction score
Me too

I got the Droid X yesterday and ran into the same problem today. My router is running in 3 bands and it was not clear which band the Droid X grabbed.
The bands are G, N 2500, and N 5000.
If I remember correctly the Droid X can talk to N 2500.
I hope they fix this in the next big update.