Moto Droid Froyo Tethering for Mac?

Reaction score
Anyone find a way to make this work yet? I know it's not "officially" supposed to work, but SOMEONE on here has to have some idea of how to make it work. Tethering shows up on my settings as turning on when I hook up the USB cable but nothing on the Mac side lets me hook to it. I hopes someone writes a client soon. If not, i guess I'll get the paid version of PDAnet. May do that anyway.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Mac Book Pro and I am able to tether with my Droid. Currently, I have Sapphire 8.4 installed and use the Wireless tethering app. I used it last week while driving to Charlotte.

I've found that I need to turn on the access control to connect then once connected I turn it off.

Hope this helps

What app and rom are you running?

Mike

OP
P
Reaction score
I can tether using PDAnet lite, no problem (actually using it right now and getting a pretty good connection). It works great until I need to get into a https site. I was just wondering about using the tethering in the OTA 2.2 official build. I installed it today and the tethering option comes up and connects but there is no way, currently, on my Mac to access that tethering connection. I was thinking the "native" tethering might be faster and more stable. If no one rights an interface to turn it on from the mac side, then I'll just buy PDAnet pro. I am getting more and more tempted to root though since some of the more appealing upgrades on Froyo are getting neutered by Verizon.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry I had not realized that you were not rooted. I know PDAnet works for nonrooted but I was not aware that there were restrictions.

If you decide to rood you will need to access a Windows machine. Moto has not released a Mac compatible version of RSD. Thankfully, I had 2.0.1 installed when I rooted so I did not need RSD.

If you have questions or concerns post a thread and we'll get you through.

Mike

OP
P
Reaction score
The only limitations PDAnet lite (free version) has is that it doesn't support secure sites. The full version ($29.99) supports everything. I'll probably go ahead an pay for it and use it. Helps to support the developer community, especially those that have been supporting the platform from the beginning. (also, buying the full version is a SURE way to make sure that the next day, someone will post a free way to do it using the native connectivity)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another option --- root your Phone and use one of the wireless tethering apps

banderbe

Reaction score
The wired tether app which is free should work just fine. It's not on the market though. Just google wired android tether and I'm sure you'll find the APK.

It doesn't need any PC/MAC side software installed. It just works.

freakqnc

Reaction score
I have a Mac Book Pro and I am able to tether with my Droid. Currently, I have Sapphire 8.4 installed and use the Wireless tethering app. I used it last week while driving to Charlotte.

I've found that I need to turn on the access control to connect then once connected I turn it off.

Hope this helps

What app and rom are you running?

Mike

Hi where can I get newer Sapphire images? any info. After rooting anf putting in Froyo via the info found here and using Sapphire 0.7.0 I could not get Tether to work anymore. Was working wonderfully with 2.1 stock unrooted.

Thanks for any help!

freakqnc

Reaction score
Here is a link start [CVPCS Sapphire Wiki] to the Sapphire wiki.

Mike

Thanks Mike, much appreciated. dancedroid

Has anyone experienced a similar problem about tethering? Mine worked fine using PdaNet installed on Droid 2.1 stock/unrooted. The connection was accessed sporadically when doing work off-site, using a Macbook pro with the PdaNet client v. 2.42 (I have a registered version of PdaNet, but also worked fine during trial period). After a recent install of Sapphire 0.7.0. installed via SPRecovery in the update.zip way, I re-installed PdaNet on the DROID and the Mac client would not establish a connection. The USB is up and the Mac client sees the phone just fine in fact it shows an X in the client's icon sitting (on the mac "tray" at the top left where the icon and menu can be accessed) when the phone is disconnected. The problem is that even selecting to connect after launching Pdanet service on the droid, the icon changed and shows a "blinking earth" to indicate that is trying to connect and at this point that's all it ever happens. And gets stuck there. The support at PdaNet is not of the fastest even for paying customers so consider yourself warned if you are planning to buy ;)

Thanks in advance to all those who will help shed some light on fixing the problems with PdaNet or finding a viable alternative to tethering! :D

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you are rooted then you can tether you phone and Mac Book. I do so on a regular basis.

The only issue I have is when I first connect I need turn turn on access control and once connected I turn it off.

Mike

freakqnc

Reaction score
If you are rooted then you can tether you phone and Mac Book. I do so on a regular basis.

The only issue I have is when I first connect I need turn turn on access control and once connected I turn it off.

Mike

Ok I found out the problem with a big Duh! Even before the PdaNet support team contacted me back on a weekend which was nice of them!:) For no apparent reason the <en2> that PdaNet creates upon installing on the mac, had its "Configure IPv4" set to "Off" instead of "Using DHCP" as it had always been (hence the hanging on connection attempt). :icon_eek:
I know I did not change nor anyone else did so whatever ectoplasmic entity made such change in configuration I hope has had the last day of fun with my system's prefs! :icon_evil: :p

The silver lining here is that besides having tethering back the issue got me stubborn enough to get PdaNet properly configured and working with Bluetooth DUN now as well, which before I had dropped for lack of instructions.

So if the hanging connection problem in PdaNet happens to you too (rooted or not), you now know one more possible place where you may look to try and fix the issue ;D

Anyways thanks so much for your help Mike!

PS: if I may, how do you exactly tether using just the phone? Could you summarize the steps? I'd like to try that... although now PdaNet is working again, I always like to learn more. :) Thanks in advance!