Mobile phones; Frustrating.

eperrine

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'd just like to discuss a situation that i think is becoming frustrating; and that is that you can never have the best phone. What i mean is; you get a brand new phone, thats just been released, on a two year plan. A year after you've recieved your phone, a new one comes out!

I just find it really frustrating that theres always a phone that outshines yours. You can only have the best of the best for a short period of time.
I have my own example, as for christmas, i opened up my lovely Xperia x10. I am greatly happy with it, its quick, powerful, sleek, everything i want in a phone. BUT now i'm seeing advertisements for the 'Xperia Arc'. It's quicker, powerfuller and thinner. And it breaks my heart, because now i'm going to see my phone in another way, outdated.

Sorry for you guys having to read all this complaining, lol. What are your opinions on this? Are you affected by the quick evolution of phones? Do you care that your phones may be outdated? I'd like to hear your opinions.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately phones aren't like toothpaste where you can try another brand and then change back if not satisfied.

Of course, if you kept waiting until the ultimate phone came out, you'd never get one. :blink:

Right now I would like to get the new Motorola Bionic and I realize that in 6 months the Bionic 2 will come out.

I'd recommend a 1-year contract if you want the newest on the block.

Beka27

Reaction score
I know, it does kinda suck. I really, really like my phone... But seeing all these new devices coming out is making me a bit sad. But, it is what it is. I've decided that following my current 2 year contact, I will only be signing 1 year contracts. Things just change too quick...

(from Beka's DX)

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
We're all affected by this, it's called being on the edge of technology. It's the same with computers, you cannot have the best of the best, because the day you build yours, better hardware has already been released. You have to just deal with it, enjoy the fact that you're still using tech that's advance and 90% of the world doesn't have it. Right now I'm dying to get the Droid X(I have the original droid), but if I got the Droid X right now, the new 4g phones would be out in a few weeks and it would be "old tech" too. You can't beat the pace heh.

MegaThrasher

Reaction score
You may not have the best, but in 2 years you can upgrade to the best. That's why I went ahead and got this.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global running Fission 2.4.3

OP
E

eperrine

Reaction score
Yeah, i agree with all of you. I guess waiting for two years would let me get the newest phone (for a while). And Liderc i appreciate your point about 90% of the world not having it, thats a good point. It's still really annoying though. See i would go on 1 year contracts, but the plans are more expensive and the phones are more restricted in selection (Australia here). I've been loving my phone, im really impressed; especially since im new to android. But the arc has really put me down :mad:

Who knows, theres still the option of buying the phone outright; even though thats pricey.

ypsichick

Reaction score
Western KY and W. Los Angeles 3 miles from the bea
I agree with what is being said here. I watched the commercials, reviewed the Droid1 on the website, researched which smartphone I really wanted...yadayadayada and then it came out and I patiently waited for the price to come down and my new every2 to come up. I no sooner got the D1 there's been what, the devour, incredible, X, Pro, D2, D2G and now there will be the Bionic... go figure, & I'll tell ya'all I love my Droid and can wait until I learn how this one works :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'd just like to discuss a situation that i think is becoming frustrating; and that is that you can never have the best phone. What i mean is; you get a brand new phone, thats just been released, on a two year plan. A year after you've recieved your phone, a new one comes out!

I just find it really frustrating that theres always a phone that outshines yours. You can only have the best of the best for a short period of time.
I have my own example, as for christmas, i opened up my lovely Xperia x10. I am greatly happy with it, its quick, powerful, sleek, everything i want in a phone. BUT now i'm seeing advertisements for the 'Xperia Arc'. It's quicker, powerfuller and thinner. And it breaks my heart, because now i'm going to see my phone in another way, outdated.

Sorry for you guys having to read all this complaining, lol. What are your opinions on this? Are you affected by the quick evolution of phones? Do you care that your phones may be outdated? I'd like to hear your opinions.

It's only a problem if all you need is something "new."
I have an original droid and it does what I want it to do, cost me nothing, in short it works.
The day it doesn't do what I want...THEN I'll be jonesing for a new phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
anything in the technology world succumbs to this; computers, games, cell phones, etc.

with technology as fast as it's going, your new toy will be obsolete in 3 months, if not shorter.

That is where the mentality of the consumer must change. You seem to be thinking that what you buy today will be inferior tomorrow. Wrong way to think. If you buy something and envy what is coming out, you'll never truly enjoy your device. You'll alway be thinking "man i wish i waited a little longer" or "i wish i could upgrade sooner", thinking this way already shows us that you haven't truly enjoyed your device.

The newest phones may be blazing fast and have a pretty screen, but do you really need that right now? I just upgraded to the Incredible 2 months ago from a Droid 1, and am still enjoying the Incredible today. The only thing I did was root it to tether and the thing is still blazing fast to me (I'm not even thinking about the dual core 1ghz phones out yet).

As they say "the technology of today, isn't the technology of tomorrow". There will ALWAYS be something better around the corner. So just enjoy what you have to the fullest.

Last edited:
B

bthomp21

It will only bother you if you're the type of person that has the newest shiniest product. Technology can advance overnight, so it is nothing new that a person buys one thing and the better one comes out the following week. I say do your research and have patience. If you jump in to something, you're likely to get buyers remorse and make threads like this ;)

OP
E

eperrine

Reaction score
Re bthomp, no i am not experiencing the buyers remorse. I received this phone as an unexpected present. But thank you all, i'm not going to care about all the shiny new products, ill just focus and enjoy my Xperia . I mean its a great phone and I'm very happy with it.

Sent from my X10i using DroidForums App

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're fixated on having the latest you'll never be happy.

List out your needs/wants and get the highest spec'd device that best suits you. That's all you can do. Stop worrying about keeping up with the Joneses if you don't want to be disappointed constantly. The tech industry isn't going to stop research and development just to make you happy. A device is only really outdated when it no longer meets your needs, not when fanboys and marketing tell you it's outdated.

When you're shopping to upgrade, repeat this process. Countless devices have been released since I got my Droid but I've set my upgrade requirements to include LTE and dual cores. Everything else has been incremental improvements that aren't worth it to me. You need to determine what makes for a worthwhile upgrade considering your needs/wants.

If you still insist on always having the latest then be prepared to ebay your old device to offset the cost of constant upgrades. You also need to be prepared to constantly pay out to upgrade.

The problem isn't the advancement of tech. It's this consumer mindset that many have seem to bought into. You don't have to buy something just because it's newer and it was just released -- regardless of whatever the product might be.

Last edited: