Mobile Network Disabled??

Jackster

Reaction score
This morning I was not receiving emails. I noticed that I do not have the data 3G icon at the top of my phone. When I turned on Wifi, I connected and have email, but I don't seem to have the Verizon data network.

In settings / About Phone / Status I show Mobile network state - Disconnected

I am not in airplane mode. I have cycled off and on a couple of time. Still no data network.

Anyone have thoughts on what I might have fat fingered?

Thx,
Jack

btw, great forum!

Stigy

Reaction score
I would give Verizon a call and see what they can help you out with.

Seems like a network issue rather than a phone issue.

If you want to try one thing BEFORE you call I would put it in airplane mode, wait 2-3 minutes and then take it out of airplane mode and see if you get 3G service again.

cityofpins

Reaction score
I woke up today with the exact same problem. Before going to bed last night, browsed apps a little bit, then set my droid back down and fell asleep. Woke up this morning, and no 3G network. Very strange.

However, I tried putting it in Airplane Mode as previously suggested, and waited about 3 minutes. 3G came back for maybe 10 seconds, and then disappeared again.

Maybe this is going to be a large problem among Droid users.

UPDATE: Just disabled my Wifi that I had turned on once I noticed that my 3G wasn't working. It's back to normal now, 3G icon is remaining at the top where it should be. :)

Thanks for the tip, Stigy.

Last edited:
OP
Jackster

Jackster

Reaction score
Working Now

Mine is working now also. With exactly the same response as Cityofpins.

Airplane mode for 3 min
Turn off airplane mode. 3G flashes and disappears as WiFi comes on.
Turn off WiFi, and 3G comes back and works.

Good call Stigy.

keiichi25

Reaction score
Mine is working now also. With exactly the same response as Cityofpins.

Airplane mode for 3 min
Turn off airplane mode. 3G flashes and disappears as WiFi comes on.
Turn off WiFi, and 3G comes back and works.

Good call Stigy.

Just FYI - The Droid is setup to turn off 3G in favor of WiFi. It's how it handles the fact that WiFi is preferred first over the 3G, as I am sure a lot of users previously have wanted it to not use their Data Plan as much as possible.

Those of you, like myself, with an Unlimited Data Plan, are still better off using the WiFi as it doesn't put unnecessary load on the air network. While it is the point for the phone to use the 3G network to do internet, like all systems, you can overload it. It's like one drop won't get you drenched, but a lot of drops will. :)

andjarnic

Reaction score
Not sure if this is an issue for Verizon or not.. but I know ATT was straining with all the iPhone users. It's possible..but highly doubtful at this point, that the flurry of Droid users has put some strain on their 3G network. But I am under the impression that with 88 million users, Verizon has plenty of 3G capacity to handle 100,000 or so new 3G users, many of them having had BBs with 3G prior. If that is the issue, then Verizon has their work cut out for them. :D

nwsam

Reaction score
I already posted in the e-mail issue thread but this is the same exact problem I had this morning. Cycled power and everything was fine.

MdicnMan

Reaction score
Same thing here

Was using the data side of the phone. Decided to turn on WiFi, used it for a bit, turned off wifi, now I have no 3G / Internet at all.

I have turned airplane mode on, cycled wifi and even updated roaming just for kicks. Nothing. Finally had to pull the battery to get 3G back.

This cannot be a good sign.

SuziLH

Reaction score
I'm having this problem as well with my Motorola Droid. I can actually be browsing or looking in the apps store and the 3G icon will disappear. Sometimes it will come back if I toggle the WIFI or Airplane setting on/off and sometimes it won't. Powering on/off has never helped.

abozag

Reaction score
Mobile Network Disconnected

I have teh same problem, except for none of the toggle on/off or battery remove fixes have worked. 3G just disappeared yesterday.

I called Verizon and spoke with a "tier two" support person who; a) treated me like and idiot, and then b) suggested I do a factory restart of my phone. I did so (I only had the phone a couple of days and so didn't have much data to lose) this did not work.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

I will be returning to the retail store today to hopefully get a new phone. I truly hope this is just a bad apple, b/c the phone itself is great.

motomouth

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. Toggling airplane mode and Wifi does not work. Pulling out the battery does not work either. I will make a trip to the Verizon store tomorrow... Please share any other suggestions or long-term fixes.

Thanks.

heem

Reaction score
Add me to the list. This happened to me a few days ago.. My wife was sitting right next to me with her droid and hers was working fine (we're on the same plan).

I called verizon, and like mentioned above, was treated like an idiot. Suggested that I pull the battery.. which of course I had already tried numerous times. Strangely enough though, as soon as I hung up the phone call with her, leaving it as "ok, you are an idiot and are not going to help me, let me see what I can find out on my own.." I pulled the battery again and it worked... hmmm.. very suspicious if you ask me...

Anyway.. I chalked it up to "whatever.." and hoped it wouldnt happen again..

Well here we are today.. No 3G indicator. Battery pull worked once, but only for a short time.

abozag

Reaction score
update

Went verizon store. They took one look at it and gave me a replacement. New phone works just fine. In fact I'm posting from it right now.

heem

Reaction score
that may be my next stop. I talked to a girl at verizon on the phone and she pressed buttons and did all kinds of things on their end, had me pull the battery a few times and it started working, but then it would go away again. she opened a trouble ticket and said she'd be back to me in a few days... if it happens again I think I'm heading right for the verizon store.