Mobile Defense vs Wave Secure

raidil

Reaction score
? for both wavesecure and mobile defence

Are you or is it posable to be able to set up and turn on the lock from remote site? If some one took my phone i would like to beable to make a new password for it over the site just in case they did see my old one and i would like do it from site becuse it is is a pain to unlock the phone every few sec's i whant to use it.
Are you guys working on a way to do this?

cheewee

Reaction score
I'm confused. When you log in to the website, there is an option for Lock that says "Click here to remotely lock your phone, you can simply unlock it any time. You can also customize your lock message or make your phone scream!" You're saying this isn't supposed to lock the phone? Then what is it supposed to do?

Hi dbronstein,
Sorry if I wasn't clear and I apologize for the late reply. Thanks to JhankG for helping to explain this.

With WaveSecure installed, you can remotely lock the device from the website or issue a lock command from another phone by sending a text message.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

cheewee

Reaction score
Are you or is it posable to be able to set up and turn on the lock from remote site? If some one took my phone i would like to beable to make a new password for it over the site just in case they did see my old one and i would like do it from site becuse it is is a pain to unlock the phone every few sec's i whant to use it.
Are you guys working on a way to do this?

Hi raidil,
Yes, even when your phone is unlocked when it's lost or stolen, you can issue a lock command from the website. You can also send a text message from any phone in the format "secure lock [PIN]" to lock your phone.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

raidil

Reaction score
sorry what i ment to say was i dont have my phone's lock pattern set and would like be beable to set it remotely whin im in need of a lock on the phone. I dont like it to be locked all the time. SO is it posable to do this from a remote site? And if not right now is it going to be able to do so down the line?

shademar

Reaction score
As an aside, may I say that I really love the dev/user interactions that go on in these forums. :)

I'm using wave defense, and my only issue is not being able to remotely activate sleeping GPS radio should I need it. I completely understand that this is a limitation imposed by android 2.X, so I'm not sure what to say in this case. With any luck, I'll never be needing to track my phone down by some crazy GPS-led wild goose chase in any case. :D

cheewee

Reaction score
sorry what i ment to say was i dont have my phone's lock pattern set and would like be beable to set it remotely whin im in need of a lock on the phone. I dont like it to be locked all the time. SO is it posable to do this from a remote site? And if not right now is it going to be able to do so down the line?

Hi raidil,
WaveSecure has its own lock screen and doesn't rely on Android OS' pattern lock. Hence, you can issue a lock command remotely even if your device is unlocked when lost. It works even if you have not set a lock pattern on your phone.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

raidil

Reaction score
Thanks cheewee i have had both one my phone and had only turnd on mobile def but i found i could not turn on the lock with out setting the pattern 1st so i thank ill drop them and stick with you guys. thanks agen for the good work.

J. Dub

Reaction score
As an aside, may I say that I really love the dev/user interactions that go on in these forums. :)

I'm using wave defense, and my only issue is not being able to remotely activate sleeping GPS radio should I need it. I completely understand that this is a limitation imposed by android 2.X, so I'm not sure what to say in this case. With any luck, I'll never be needing to track my phone down by some crazy GPS-led wild goose chase in any case. :D

Now that would be sweet!

cheewee

Reaction score
Thanks cheewee i have had both one my phone and had only turnd on mobile def but i found i could not turn on the lock with out setting the pattern 1st so i thank ill drop them and stick with you guys. thanks agen for the good work.

Hi raidil,
Thanks for the kind words and we're happy you like our product. Do spread the word as we're offering lifetime WaveSecure accounts till 31 Jan 2010 only.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

unkilbeeg

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words and we're happy you like our product. Do spread the word as we're offering lifetime WaveSecure accounts till 31 Jan 2010 only.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com

Is there a way to register without submitting an "SMS buddy?" I text very seldom, and most of the people that I would trust with this sort of info don't text at all. What texting I do is primarily my students, etc.

I have a Droid. As I understand it, the SMS buddy is the person who will receive an alert if my SIM card is switched. Since I don't *have* a SIM card, this doesn't seem like a very useful service for me, and insisting that I designate such a person is a blocker. If I cannot register without designating such a person, I won't be registering at all.

Murz

Reaction score
I've had LookOut (mylookout.com) installed on my Droid for about 2 weeks now with no problems (I believe a previous post in this thread mentioned it). The thing that stands out to me about LookOut is that it, along with the other standard protection that MobileDeffense and WaveSecure offers, also has a virus scanner running at all times. Even though the scanner is constantly running, I don’t notice the phone slowing down or using more battery than normal. I like the sense of security I get with the scanner running, but I’m no expert.

Does the Droid actually need a virus scanner?

If LookOut does the same exact things as MobileDeffense and WaveSecure, doesn’t the addition of a virus scanner make it more valuable?

Basically I’m looking into which one of these programs I’m gonna use for the long haul, and LookOut wasn’t mentioned here. Just wanted a complete review, so I figured I'd add my 2 cents.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I installed it, but it needs a buddy for register. Since I don't have any that would work, I uninstalled it.

Oliver84

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm the only one that feels this way but for my I actually don't think either of these softwares are very useful. I for one, always have my droid on me. The only time it's not on me is when I'm in the shower. Even when I'm in bed, it's right next to me. I use Google Latitute so i can always track my phone if for some crazy reason it's more than 5 feet away from me and I can't find it or if someone "steals" it. Speaking of stealing, if I were to steal someone's smartphone, the first thing I would do is a factory reset. I'd do it as quickly as possible and then just sell it on ebay. So if someone were to steal your phone, I wouldn't doubt it if it would be on eBay before you even realized someone stole it. Let alone before you have a chance to "wipe" or lock your phone...

I don't mean to be negative or discredit this software. I'm sure a lot of hard work went into it, I just don't think it would work for me personally. Especially seeing how easy it is to do a factory reset on your device...

cheewee

Reaction score
Is there a way to register without submitting an "SMS buddy?" I text very seldom, and most of the people that I would trust with this sort of info don't text at all. What texting I do is primarily my students, etc.

I installed it, but it needs a buddy for register. Since I don't have any that would work, I uninstalled it.

Hi unkilbeeg and aaf709,
You can register by keying in your own mobile number. I will give your feedback to our development team. Appreciate the comments.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com