mobile data difference

turbofiat124

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Mini
I got a new Droid mini which replaced my Droid X2 I think was the model I got three years ago . I'm trying to limit the amount of data I use by turning off the mobile data when I'm not using the phone or if I am near a WiFi. That way apps that run in the the background won't eat up my data and make Verizon richer. I'm curious. What is the difference between just turning the mobile data off and restricting background data? Looks like both would do the same thing.

Last edited:
P

promo87

Well, that's another great way of saving the battery as well as the data usage. So, turning mobile data off means all the data connection is terminated application running either in background or in foreground can't use data services to update or..... rest the background data off ! I haven't heard about it ! :)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Turning off data turns the radio off totally. Restrict background data leaves the radio on but stops syncs (such as gmail, weather apps, social media, etc) from syncing their data while the device is idle, both over WiFi and Verizon data network.
If you want an on screen toggle for turning your data radio on and off Curve Fish makes an excellent widget that uses no battery in the background and toggles things quickly and it's free

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

wcjeep

Reaction score
In the restrict back ground data area, scroll down. By clicking on individual apps, you can restrict individual apps to WiFi only. This would allow your phone to still check weather, email, etc. This would fully block cloud services from accidentally using massive data.

OP
turbofiat124

turbofiat124

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Mini
I was wondering the same thing.

I work in a chemical plant and all of a sudden one day we had lousy cellphone service (1 bar if your lucky). Possibly due to jammers the company has placed here and there to keep people from taking their phones out in the production areas since they are not explosive proof. Seems coincidently because shortly before that they fired a new guy who wouldn't stay off his cell phone!

I leave my phone in my locker and due to such a poor signal, the battery will go from a full charge to almost nothing in 12 hours. I found the best way to get around that is to just put it on airplane mode. Then if I need to see if I have an text messages or emails I can turn the airplane mode off and it's connected in 5 seconds and doesn't drain the battery.

I also went through and restricted background data on several apps. Especially some I never use that I cannot remove because they are "built into" the phone.