Mobile Data and WiFi both enabled causing certain apps+websites to not connect

ahoogst

Reaction score
I recently got my Razr Maxx and discovered that apps/websites such as Facebook and even Google.com have trouble connecting and time out on url requests. I messed around with my router settings a bunch thinking that was the problem, but after some intense googling I found someone with a similar problem being suggested to see if mobile data is enabled when their wifi is enabled. Sure enough, once I turned off Mobile Data my Google searches and Facebook requests loaded perfectly fine. I guess there are some sort of conflicting protocols going on between wifi and mobile data? I'm kinda surprised by this coming from a Thunderbolt which automatically disables mobile data when wifi is turned on.

Is anyone else experiencing this or have a solution? I love my new Maxx but this is a strange problem for sure.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
This is good to know. I seldom have both Wi-Fi and data running at the same time. I always turn the one off when I have access to the other. But I have had times where it seemed like it took forever for a web necessary app or page to load. I wonder if those are times I actually have both Wi-Fi and data enabled. Now I know to look for this the next time it happens.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
A

ahoogst

Reaction score
This is good to know. I seldom have both Wi-Fi and data running at the same time. I always turn the one off when I have access to the other. But I have had times where it seemed like it took forever for a web necessary app or page to load. I wonder if those are times I actually have both Wi-Fi and data enabled. Now I know to look for this the next time it happens.

It's very easy to test. Just enable both (default behavior) and try to go to facebook.com or try to search something on google. I have tried different browsers, the facebook app and they all timeout. I'm sure more people have run into this problem without knowing it as you mentioned in your own case. That's the reason why I decided to make an account here on droidforums.net instead of my usual stomping grounds at androidforums.com because the Razr board there is much less active then this one.

EDIT: I'm using Smart Actions to disable mobile data when connected to wifi and it also re-enables mobile data when wifi is disconnected. FYI I'm not rooted so I'm 1also curious if root users have this problem as well.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I just tested it out and right now it is not happening. I wonder if it is because I only get 3G where I am and the 3g can be weak (I live in the boonies). I tried the facebook app, boat browser, the stock browser and droid forums.

And welcome to droidforums.net! Great to have you aboard! It is a great place.

OP
A

ahoogst

Reaction score
I just tried it with 3G instead of 4G and I'm still getting the problem :sad:. Oh well the Smart Actions workaround will have to do for now. Hopefully this will go away with ICS or when I eventually get some time to root my razr :biggrin:. Hopefully this thread helps some people out there googling around.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
There are two things you could try that may help. One is to install the Motorola Restore Connectivity app and run that to see if it helps. The other possibility is your sim card. Turn off your phone, carefully remove your sim card (it is delicate and best to handle it by holding onto it by its edges). Replace your sim card and restart your phone.

OP
A

ahoogst

Reaction score
I tried both of those this morning and neither fixed the problem. What does the Restore Connectivity app actually do? The description is pretty vague...

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It is supposed to help you get a better connection with 4g.

OP
A

ahoogst

Reaction score
It is supposed to help you get a better connection with 4g.

Sure, but I was just wondering what that specifically means. I assume it's just an APN settings reset and not something as drastic as a radio flash.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oh my, you got me, lol! All I know is that it has helped fix problems with keeping a 4good connection.

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
Oh my, you got me, lol! All I know is that it has helped fix problems with keeping a 4good connection.

It actually only puts the settings back to the way they should if you install a battery app that messes them. If you didn't install that app then it doesn't fix anything since nothing should have changed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

distortiondale

Reaction score
This problem has been driving me crazy for a while! I turned off mobile data and Pages load correctly now (wifi). Thanks for the post!:hail: