ICS "Background Data Restricted" message

Frank Drebin

Reaction score
I have a stock, non-rooted RAZR. Ever since the ICS update, I keep getting a notification of "Background Data Restricted. Click here to remove restriction."

I do not have a mobile data limit set and I don't have the box checked restrict background data. Any ideas? This thing is making me crazy. It's happening on my phone and my wife's, but no one else I know is having the issue. Please help!

gling

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing but I believe it's due to the "Battery Extender" in Smart Actions that I use. If you're using Smart Actions, check the settings you have enabled.

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing but I believe it's due to the "Battery Extender" in Smart Actions that I use. If you're using Smart Actions, check the settings you have enabled.

I would definitely check out your smart actions. One of my rules also turned off the background data.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's a notification that Motorola put in. If you use any smart actions that turn off background data it's going to happen whenever that smart action gets activated.

Hopefully they allow it to be turned off in the August update.

OP
Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

Reaction score
Yeah, it looks like that was the issue. Now to hope that enabling the data again doesn't crush my battery...

lazuhrus

Reaction score
Yeah, the background data restriction seems more strict than in earlier builds, I cannot stream IHeartRadio or Sirius/XM anymore with it on. I've really been disappointed in the ICS rollout for the phone.

jhoward011

Reaction score
Yeah, the background data restriction seems more strict than in earlier builds, I cannot stream IHeartRadio or Sirius/XM anymore with it on. I've really been disappointed in the ICS rollout for the phone.

One way to get around that is to modify your rule to check for Headphones being plugged in; I used to have the same issue when streaming Pandora. There may be other rule "Triggers" that help your specific use case however.

Cheers!