Mobile Carrier Price Wars Heat Up: AT&T and T-Mobile Reveal New Plan Changes

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
att-tmobile-split.png

It's obvious that T-Mobile's Uncarrier initiative is having a profound effect on AT&T. Both of these bitter rivals just revealed new details for some of their plans, and for the most part they continue to trend downward in price or at least upward in value.

AT&T just unveiled a price reduction for one of their "Share" plans. Their 2GB Mobile Share Value has dropped to $65, which is $15 less than the previous price. This plan offers 2GB of data, and also includes unlimited voice and text, “as well as unlimited international messaging from the U.S. to select countries.” This plan is obvious a pretty good deal for those who don't use a great deal of their LTE service.

T-Mobile responded with some changes of their own. Interestingly, they actually have a price increase built-in to one of these changes (although they are also offering additional services with that last one). These changes are as follows in the quote,

For its part T-Mobile has boosted the monthly data allotments for its lower-tiered data plans from 500MB to 1GB on the $50 Simple Choice plan and from 2.5GB to 3GB on its $60 plan. There’s some bad news here, however: The price of T-Mobile’s plan for unlimited voice, text and data has increased to $80 from $70. T-Mobile is now offering a 5GB plan for $70 a month that will also include 5GB of tethering data, or double the 2.5GB of tethering data that the carrier’s 5GB plan previously offered. What’s more T-Mobile is now letting subscribers send an unlimited number of international text messages from the United States, which helps make up for the price increase to the unlimited plan.

As is typical for the vociferous CEO of T-Mobile, John Legere had some choice words to lob at AT&T. He said,

“In the mobile age, wireless data caps and overage fees are just this side of extortion. Take the basic plans from the Big Two with ridiculously low data limits that hit you with fat overages each month. It’s like getting your data from the neighborhood loan shark and paying 100% interest when the bill comes due. It’s the classic shakedown.”

It certainly seems like these two companies really hate each other ever since the planned merger fell through. Regardless of how things pan out for T-Mobile and AT&T with this price/value war, things are certainly looking up for the consumer. So far, it seems like Verizon is mostly ignoring things. How long do you think it will take before they are affected enough to jump into this game?

Source: BGR

wilyums

Reaction score
I honestly think AT&T is gonna give in and bring back unlimited. I have a feeling that TMo has gotten their attention. How much it will cost I don't know. But, could you imagine the mass exodus of Sprint, TMobile, and Verizon customers they would pick up. I have no evidence of this it's just a gut feeling. (maybe wishful thinking)

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Verizon has a promotional plan for $60 with 1gb data, and a $45 promotional plan with 250mb. They have been out since the end of January I believe. I put people in the 1gb promo very often. The limit with these promo plans is there are no Corp discounts that can be applied, and they are single line plans, meaning no sharing of data.
I'm glad AT&T changed it up a bit. I'm seeing a lot of back and forth between the Top 2 this year and it gets me excited. It ticks me off trying to remember it all, but I like that I am able to give my customers less expensive options!

Sent from my Droid Maxx

combatmedic870

Reaction score
T mobile raised the price of there unlimited plan by 10 bucks. This wasnt all a good thing. I mean the tethering limit is higher, but i dont tether.