Mobile App Thread for discussin

rneal_ra

Reaction score
Directv App Problem

I keep getting DIRECTV Application encountered Technical Difficulty. Please try again...............
Is any one else getting this. I am using my Droid, but not having much luck. I would really like to get this to work correctly. It does this after I click to record a show.
Thanks, I love the forum!

Anomander

Reaction score
Have it downloaded and it is pretty easy to navigate through the various functions of the App. Tried to record a show that started at 9am this morning, but it was already a little passed 9am. I did not see my DVR record light come on. I now have another show set to record at 10am, so hopefully that one will kick off. At the very least though being able to see my channels that I get is a nice feature. Heck I think I have to edit the channels on my guide on the DVR to get the channels I have and not just all of them.

I think this will come in handy when people recommend a show, since I can now just open the App doe a search for the show then select it to record.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
The Reason you see me chime in and all Happy here about this app, is I have 7 DirecTV DVRs. This program is Hugh for someone like me. I travel alot. I can program a recording to any of my DVRs, Right from my DROID !! No matter where I am.

Just be aware, this is New Software. It may take a little to make it Perfect. But it really works. It's here now. And it's FREE !!!

And yes, this is an Exclusive First look, from our Friends over at DBSTalk.com from one of my favorite service providers, DirecTV.com. These types of announcements are usually ONLY posted at DBSTalk.com. Thanks to our friends over in that forum. We were able to bring this information about this app as soon as it was released. And get to see a hands on review/tutorial of how the Application works on our Android devices.

No we are not advertising for anyone. We thought this would be a great app for those of us who use DirecTV DVRs. We are grateful to be included, and being able to share this 1st look from DBSTalk.com with the membership here @ DroidForums. It's a new App in the Market. It was Built for the Android OS. This thread explains what it is. And how it works, plain and simple. IT's FREE TOO !!! Isn't free nice? Did I say that already :p

So if some of us are happy, I can see why. Our DROIDs and Our DTV DVRs working together. Isn't tech GREAT !! I sure do think so !!!

OP
M

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentleman......

If anyone is experiening issues you have 2 roads you can take. The first is to post it here. I will cross post your post to DBSTalk for you as Directv reads these threads for issues and updates.

The second is just create an account at DBSTalk.com by using a link on the front page.Then post your isses here Find the thread for the Droid App and post your issues there. Thier thread is linked on our main page. We need to keep issues direct and to the point in either thread to allow Directv or the staff at DBSTalk to sift through this thread.

Thanks again...

Miami

Edit : Also version 1.1.9 is available in the market as an update now too. Enjoy!

rockcutter

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on this one. Been waiting for this app especially. Just gonna make my Droid and my life that much better. Thanks again!!!

Szyslak

Reaction score
That's funny, I was just looking last night to see if DirecTV had an app yet, and I couldn't find one. Very good news, and thanks for the heads up. It will surely prevent my one or two calls a week trying to convince my wife to set up a recording for me because I forgot. :biggrin:

"Sure honey, I'm up to my ears in dealing with your two crazy kids, but I'd love to go set up that recording for you..."

Anomander

Reaction score
Anyone not being able to record once you set a program? I have tried 3 different shows and not one of them has recorded. I get a confirmation on my Droid once I tell it to record, and I have doubled check that it is accessing the right DVR (I only have one) and the numbers match up. Is there anything that we need to setup on the DVR itself to take remote commands? I would imagine we do not need the phone line plugged in. Never have plugged one in for it.

Anomander

Reaction score
Never mind. I figured it out why it was not recording the shows. Apparently in the not to distant past I had borrowed my network cable from my DVR and threw it into my laptop bag. Once I reconnected my DVR to my wireless converter it started recording the show I was watching. Only thing missing from this app is the ability to delete stuff from my DVR when I am not at home. :)

OP
M

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Never mind. I figured it out why it was not recording the shows. Apparently in the not to distant past I had borrowed my network cable from my DVR and threw it into my laptop bag. Once I reconnected my DVR to my wireless converter it started recording the show I was watching. Only thing missing from this app is the ability to delete stuff from my DVR when I am not at home. :)

and don't rule that out in the future either :)

OP
M

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I keep getting DIRECTV Application encountered Technical Difficulty. Please try again...............
Is any one else getting this. I am using my Droid, but not having much luck. I would really like to get this to work correctly. It does this after I click to record a show.
Thanks, I love the forum!

Please download the latest version 1.1.9 is now available. Doublecheck you user name and password. The app uses the same ones on the Directv account. Reply back here once you've done this :)

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like this!

Now, Anomander brings up a good point.

I just tested by setting a show to record, now because I used my DTV logon, I had access, and it said it was successful, but int he back of my mind, I'm wondering "Does my DVR need to be on my home network (internet) for this to work? Or is it going to send the commands down to it thru the sat?"

Now, I'm leaning towards the latter. If the former though, that would be kewl.
(I havent yet put by DVR online, need to get the wifi box for it, my living room one though, can go wired as soon as I cut the holes for the jackboxes hehehe)

IMPORTANT UPDATE!: I can confirm this goes thru the satellite!

As I stated above, my DVR box is not hooked to the net, nor phone line, but the programs I set with the app were in the guide, set to record as promised!!!!!

Too KEWL !!! :icon_ devil:

Last edited:

phantrik

Reaction score
Yesssss! Can't wait to check this out, been needing needing this for when I'm out n about:icon_ banana:

I think you'll like it a lot. It's a must have if you are a directv sub for sure :)

Yup, I'm a DTV subscriber for over 10 years, mostly converted because of the NFL package. I was stoked when they released the NFL Super Fan App, being able to watch the games anywhere I went was sweeeet!

So I downloaded this new app last night, logged in and tried a few shows to record but no love :( Does anyone know if the phone line has to be plugged in? I gave up the Land line awhile back and one of my 4 receivers is an older hughes directivo series1 - "GXCEBOT" It does not have an ethernet adapter built in so I'm wondering if this would impact using the app? Just thought I would ask as I haven't gotten around to reading up on it yet ;)

Anyways I'm downloading the update now and will try again when I get home in a few hours and see whats up...

***And I just read the last post, can't wait to get home to confirm!

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I set something to record at 0630 lcl, (in 18 min), but my point is this:

Without it being on a phone line, or ethernet, when I went to the guide, the recording was set (had the R in the circle), the app correctly identified my receiver and number, etc (obviously thru my account logon, but anyways ...)
so it HAD to come downlink, and I see no reason why it wont record in 16 min ... :)

It's too bad to get on demand though, it will need to be online. Can other vet DTV users tell me besides caller ID, what the phone line is for? (I was thinking for ordering movies, etc.)

0635 Update: My DVR is recording, I'd say that without a doubt, it is thru the satellite.

Last edited: