Mirror Screen on New Droid Razr Maxx

8cats

Reaction score
Hi,

I saw someone else asking almost the same question and didn't get an answer. Another user recommended putting the post in this forum. Hope that is okay.

I have Droid MAxx KitKat vs. system 21.11.21 (the newest phone). I used to have the first Droid Maxx which had a separate HDMI port. I would just plug in the special HDMI cord from the TV to my phone and mirror my phone screen to my TV.

For my new Droid phone, I bought a C2G® SlimPort 0.2 m USB Micro-B to HDMI Adapter. Plugged it into the phone and into the HDMI cable from the TV last night and nothing happens. I also have an Ellipsis 7 Android tablet with the same type of connection, tried plugging it into that...nothing.

It seems kind of crazy that Android would take away the mirror screen ability.

Am I missing something? Why do they sell the adapters if they don't work or do I have to use an app. Is there some setting I need to change on the phone and the tablet?

Any help would be appreciated. If I can't figure it out, I have to return the adapter to the store.

Thank you.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
They've replaced it with wireless HDMI but I understand you can also get an adapter to go from Micro USB to HDMI out.

Last edited:
OP

8cats

Reaction score
Thrive replaced it with wireless HDMI but I understand you can also get an adapter to go from Micro USB to HDMI out.

What is Thrive? and I do have the Micro USB slimport to HDMI adapter...... that is the problem, the phone does not detect the HDMI and does not go into mirror mode like my older phone did. I have a Smart TV with Wifi, but I could never get the Wifi to work I thought due to a poor signal (it is in a back room far from the router). It has the capability to discover other devices but now I have the TV hard wired to the router, still works like crap trying to get on the Internet, so I don't even use it for that. I call it a "Dumb" TV.

My husband's Ipad works great using the HDMI, so I know the HDMI cable is good.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
What is Thrive? and I do have the Micro USB slimport to HDMI adapter...... that is the problem, the phone does not detect the HDMI and does not go into mirror mode like my older phone did. I have a Smart TV with Wifi, but I could never get the Wifi to work I thought due to a poor signal (it is in a back room far from the router). It has the capability to discover other devices but now I have the TV hard wired to the router, still works like crap trying to get on the Internet, so I don't even use it for that. I call it a "Dumb" TV.

My husband's Ipad works great using the HDMI, so I know the HDMI cable is good.

Sorry, autocorrect sometimes messes things up. That was "They've".

Now, I re-read your post and yeah, I missed two things pretty obvious. You are using a Droid RAZR which has its own Micro HDMI port. Why would you want to go USB to HDMI when all you need is the MicroHDMI to HDMI cable?

Perhaps I'm missing something here.

droid-razr-top.jpg

This apparently has claimed to work with the Droid RAZR> Amazon.com MHL ATC - Simplay Labs Certified Micro USB to HDMI MHL Adapter Cable 0.2 Meter Cell Phones Accessories

I did find this, it's the Webtop Adapter that enables Webtop for the Droid RAZR. It uses both ports and has both ports on the back end.

webtop.JPG

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Thrive is also a tablet made by Toshiba. (Which was what I originally thought you meant. LOL)

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Interesting. Kind funny but auto correct can be a train wreck.

manojkumar.das.39

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have one Motorola droid 926 display ok but light off of that device. Anyone can help me for schematics diagram of that phone or any idea of light ic location on the board. Plz help me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have one Motorola droid 926 display ok but light off of that device. Anyone can help me for schematics diagram of that phone or any idea of light ic location on the board. Plz help me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You will have to replace the entire display.

OP

8cats

Reaction score
Sorry, autocorrect sometimes messes things up. That was "They've".

Now, I re-read your post and yeah, I missed two things pretty obvious. You are using a Droid RAZR which has its own Micro HDMI port. Why would you want to go USB to HDMI when all you need is the MicroHDMI to HDMI cable?

Perhaps I'm missing something here.

View attachment 73211

This apparently has claimed to work with the Droid RAZR> Amazon.com MHL ATC - Simplay Labs Certified Micro USB to HDMI MHL Adapter Cable 0.2 Meter Cell Phones Accessories

I did find this, it's the Webtop Adapter that enables Webtop for the Droid RAZR. It uses both ports and has both ports on the back end.

View attachment 73212

Not sure what phone you are showing in the picture, but it looks like the old Droid I had. As I already wrote, my OLD Droid Maxx HAD TWO ports, an HDMI port AND a Charge Port for the micro charger. NOW I have the NEWER Droid Maxx (I don't even know what # phone it is) just bought it 2 weeks ago. There is only ONE port on the phone and there is NO LONGER an HDMI port. The port on the new phone IS called a micro USB port. I bought an HDMI Slimport 0.2m that can connect to my phone on one end and the HDMI cable on the other end. Nothing happens when I plug it in. The TV doesn't detect the phone and the phone doesn't detect the TV. I just played around with trying to connect via WIFI on TV, but the TV does not detect any devices.

I thought I explained all this already.....

Also, my husband's Ipad connects fine using the same HDMI cable and the adapter provided from the Apple Store.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Not sure what phone you are showing in the picture, but it looks like the old Droid I had. As I already wrote, my OLD Droid Maxx HAD TWO ports, an HDMI port AND a Charge Port for the micro charger. NOW I have the NEWER Droid Maxx (I don't even know what # phone it is) just bought it 2 weeks ago. There is only ONE port on the phone and there is NO LONGER an HDMI port. The port on the new phone IS called a micro USB port. I bought an HDMI Slimport 0.2m that can connect to my phone on one end and the HDMI cable on the other end. Nothing happens when I plug it in. The TV doesn't detect the phone and the phone doesn't detect the TV. I just played around with trying to connect via WIFI on TV, but the TV does not detect any devices.

I thought I explained all this already.....

Also, my husband's Ipad connects fine using the same HDMI cable and the adapter provided from the Apple Store.

OK, if you go back and re-read your original post you said;

"I have Droid Razr MAxx KitKat vs. system 21.11.21 (the newest phone). I used to have the first Droid Razr Maxx which had a separate HDMI port."

You further described your situation as follows;

"For my new Droid RAzr phone, I bought a C2G® SlimPort 0.2 m USB Micro-B to HDMI Adapter."

So again referencing your new phone as a "new Droid RAzr".

The Droid [RAZR] and Droid [RAZR] MAXX BOTH have the regular USB AND HDMI ports on top.

The pic I'm showing is the Droid [RAZR] MAXX.

Now you're telling me your have the Droid MAXX (not to be confused with the Droid [RAZR] MAXX), a totally different phone than you originally posted as having, and not part of the Droid [RAZR] line, hence the confusion.

The Droid MAXX (same phone I'm typing from right now), has done away with the HDMI port and as I explained you should be able to use the adapter I mentioned.

If that adapter doesn't work with your phone you'll have to try another one. Again the one I suggested claims to be compatible with Motorola phones.

And again as I explained earlier they've done away with HDMI in favor of wireless HDMI. you can use Wireless HDMI if you follow the instructions included with the phone. For your convenience I've clipped the page for reference below.

ada4061e524284c62ea6bbc9e475dc37.jpg

Last edited:
OP

8cats

Reaction score
Apparently I did not buy a RAZR maxx. I don't even know if they make them any more. I have to call Verizon tomorrow and ask. I thought I was buying an updated version of the phone I had,which was a RAZR. When I posted the first time I did not realize this.

So the adapter you show will not work on my phone. It states right on the picture posted that it is for a RAZR.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Apparently I did not buy a RAZR maxx. I don't even know if they make them any more. I have to call Verizon tomorrow and ask. I thought I was buying an updated version of the phone I had,which was a RAZR. When I posted the first time I did not realize this.

So the adapter you show will not work on my phone. It states right on the picture posted that it is for a RAZR.

The Droid RAZR MAXX was the previous year's model. The Droid MAXX as last year's flagship was the successor to the Droid RAZR MAXX. So no, they don't manufacture the Droid RAZR MAXX any longer. But the confusion is no surprise. The RAZR name was dropped from the line for whatever reason.

And so, you are correct. The adapter I showed is only compatible with the Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX, but not the Droid MAXX. I showed that one because I thought you simply purchased a replacement Droid RAZR MAXX.

Your options now are to try other USB to HDMI adapters until you find one that works or embrace the next iteration in technology and either get a TV or monitor that has Miracast or buy a Miracast adapter for the TV/monitor and go wireless.

Last edited:
OP

8cats

Reaction score
Hi FoxCat,

Well, it would be great to connect to my TV wirelessly, but my smart TV is older and I doubt it has the technology to do this. It can only do it by Wifi and that doesn't even work. Since I already have a good HDMI cable, it seemed easier and cost effective for me to use it. It is only for watching a couple of TV shows that my Cable provider does not carry. I read that the Miracast adapters don't work very well. I keep reading about an App called Chromecast, but it doesn't sound like it is perfected either.

Really annoyed that Google pushes us to use something that is still in the developmental stages. Not all of us can afford to buy new electronics every couple of years.

So guess I will be watching the TV shows on my tablet.

I apologize for my mix up with the type of phone I have. It was very confusing to me about the models that Droid has and what the new ones are. Of course, once I looked at the box, I realized it did not say RAZR, so my mistake for typing that. Thank you for trying to help.