MHL Adapters

lazarus2297

Reaction score
Ok so I just recently came across an MHL adapter cable for my nexus and when I plug it into the phone and TV it does nothing.. there aren't any HDMI settings in the menus that I know of.. so it should just auto mirror the display if I am correct. My question is this: are MHL adapters standard? Or do I have a bad cable or possibly bad MHL output connections. I am running a custom ROM so I checked a friend's that is stock and had the same results.. nothing. The TV didn't even recognize that a cable was plugged into the specific HDMI port.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
L

lazarus2297

Reaction score
That would be the problem then. The cable I found is a straight MHL micro USB on one end and male HDMI on the other in one cable so the this cable wouldn't be compatible with my nexus thanks for the tip!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Ah, I forgot they made them without a power source. Unfortunately you will need one that has a power source. The one I have is For only $8.82 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Micro USB to HDMI® MHL Adapter - Black | MHL Adapters <-- that one. Basically that plugs into your device with the male micro USB. Then it has a female micro USB port and female HDMI port. You then provide power through the USB port (your charger for your phone will work fine), and provide an HDMI cable (not included). There is a video in the description, which shows it off.

Of course you can shop around, Samsung makes them, and they can be found for similar price points on various websites (Amazon for example). As do many other companies. In general an MHL adapter is an MHL adapter, brand shouldn't matter too much (much like HDMI cables). You will need an HDMI cable if you don't already have one.