Microsoft puts 'Switch to Windows Phone' App on Google Play Store; App Rating Slammed

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-play-store-switch-to-ms-app.png

It doesn't get much "cheekier" than this. Microsoft had the audacity to put a "Switch to Windows Phone" App on the Google Play Store. So far, Google has stuck to their "open" (mostly) policy and left the app there despite it being negative advertising against their own branding. Of course, even if Google is just doing the right thing by adhering to their own open policy, it also turns out to be pretty crafty to leave it there. For the most part, Android users have slammed the app by giving it the lowest rating possible.

It seems that whenever Microsoft tries to get clever with their marketing strategy it just completely backfires on them. You would think they would figure out that blasting your competition with negative ads almost never works.

Source: Google Play Store - Microsoft's Switch to Windows Phone App

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, MS must have gotten some fresh new blood in the marketing dept. Funny to see them bashed by users, because it's very similar to tactics taken by Google and Samsung, which they kind of ripped from Apple in the first place.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
There's no such thing as bad publicity when it comes to things like this. It is pretty funny and outrageous. Both Google and MS are getting a good laugh I'm sure....

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Loving all the 1 star reviews. ;)

djspy

Reaction score
Did you people even read the description? There's no Android bashing going on. This is an app intended to help people who have switched to Windows or are thinking about switching. For those people it's pretty useful. I know I would be thankful for that app if I were planning on making the switch. The first thing anyone that switches OS is if their favorite apps are supported or find an alternative app.

Making a "news" story to bash something with out learning what it's about is childish.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you people even read the description? There's no Android bashing going on. This is an app intended to help people who have switched to Windows or are thinking about switching. For those people it's pretty useful. I know I would be thankful for that app if I were planning on making the switch. The first thing anyone that switches OS is if their favorite apps are supported or find an alternative app.

Making a "news" story to bash something with out learning what it's about is childish.

First of all, we most certainly checked it out and know exactly what this is before we wrote a news story on it. You missed the point. The reason this is a news story is three-fold. One, it's humorously ironic that Microsoft would create an app that will help users switch away from Android to Windows Phone, and then put it on Android's Google Play Store. Two, it's also interesting that Google didn't take it down, since it is designed to pull customers away from them. Three, Android users have downloaded and used the app and have been giving it a 1-star rating because they say it is mis-leading about the apps that are available, and because it dramatically drains battery life for some users.

This news story was not intended to bash anything, but is simply to inform & entertain users about something humorous and ironic going on in the world of "mobile wars."

For future reference, please do not make personal attacks. We try to keep DF as friendly as possible. If you have an argument to make then we greatly appreciate it, but "name-calling" is unnecessary. ;)

Last edited: