Microsoft Releases... Android Apps? A Lock Screen & Traveler's Companion

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
andy-android-with-microsoft-inside.jpg

It appears that "bizarre news Thursday" has continued and culminated in the strangest story yet! Microsoft just released two Android apps! ...and they are actually pretty good!!! :eek:

Although it is truly hard to fathom (hyperbole & some sarcasm is intended), Microsoft just put out a nifty new Lock Screen app for Android called, "Next Lock Screen." The other Android app they released is called "Journeys & Notes" which is both a traveler's companion and traveler's social app. Both are pretty impressive. Here's a description summary for each below with Google Play Links:

Microsoft Next Lock Screen - Google Play Store = Next Lock Screen - Android Apps on Google Play
Next Lock Screen, a Microsoft Garage project, saves you time with quick app launch and access to the information you need. It’s a time saver lock screen built for busy professionals. See your calendar, missed calls, email and text messages all at a glance. Connect to a conference call in a single tap without unlocking your phone. Next Lock Screen even surfaces the apps you use most based on your location.
Key Features:
- Calendar: quick glance at your day and scroll through upcoming meetings and their location to plan your day at a glance.
- One swipe to dial: Next Lock Screen dials you in a conference call, enters the PIN and gets you talking without effort.
- Quick app launch: Whether on the go, at home or at work, Next Lock Screen shows your most used apps based on your location and your apps are right there for quick access.
- Make it yours: Make your lock screen background dynamic throughout the day by having the background change depending of your location.

Microsoft Journeys & Notes - Google Play Store: Journeys Notes - Android Apps on Google Play
Journeys & Notes, a Microsoft Garage project, is a delightfully curious social app for the space between an origin and a destination. Whether you're taking the bus to work across town, or jet-setting across the globe, checking-in to your trips with Journeys & Notes unlocks a community of people who have traveled the path you're on.
The road may be long and lonely, but we help connect you with others along the journey. Leave behind notes for your fellow travelers to discover, or stumble across the serendipitous gems of wisdom shared by others. Microsoft Garage turns fresh ideas into real projects.

Let us know what you think of Microsoft's Android creations. This news probably isn't as insane as it would be if Apple were the one creating apps for Android. We won't hold our breath for that...

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I like the idea and design of NextScreen a lot, but it's too buggy on my S4 right now. It randomly doesn't show up when I turn my screen on, the "contacts" icon opens my phone dialer, and sometimes my phones default lock screen will come up after the NextScreen.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting, now Microsoft could port over their file Explorer and media player to capture a good chunk of that utility market. Or they could port Internet Explorer for the corporate heads, it's still the only browser fully supported by most businesses. I like what I'm seeing. Google and Microsoft working together can only lead to better things.