Microsoft's Cortana for Android Now Available (in beta form) on Google Play Store

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cortana-android1.jpg

Although Google Now has proven itself to be a superior product as far as searching, usability and reliability are concerned, that doesn't mean we shouldn't check out what the other folks are doing. In fact, you can do that now with Microsoft's Cortana, even if you don't have a Microsoft phone or Windows 10 on your PC. Microsoft just made the Cortana for Android app available on the Google Play Store.

There is a caveat. It's just the beta version right now, and only for folks in the US. The Cortana for Android app isn't fully functional yet, but it can supposedly do most of the things you can do on a PC or Windows phone. The main thing it can't do yet is voice commands on Android.

For those who are curious to see how well Cortana performs on an Android, you can get the beta version here: Sign in - Google Accounts

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I was in the private beta, but made the mistake of leaving the G+ group and couldn't get back in. Guess I'll give it another go now that it's supposedly a little more polished. Still don't think it'll fully compete with Google Now for handiness, but maybe I'll end up being surprised.

Microsoft has already apparently been successful in tossing out features to compete with Now on Tap that hasn't even officially released to users in their existing Bing app, so they're definitely headed in a good direction.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
There it went thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Rats was hoping for the voice too..lol

Last edited:

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
For those of you using this how does it stack up to Hound? I was pretty impressed with Hound for the most part

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I honestly didn't use hound enough to really compare. It's hard to beat Google Now's integration into the system, especially since I've been using the gn Launcher.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I really haven't used Google Now for searching or much of anything... I think that is going to be my goal for next week. Use it and see how it goes. I have a few hundred contacts in my phone and always scroll through them to call... I always forget to just use voice commands.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just installed. Will give it a go and see how it plays.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've used Google since "Google it" became a thing. Any time a question comes up, I Google it on my phone or watch. I don't use voice for Contacts much unless I'm firing off a quick text on my watch.

I set Cortana to my home button, which is a nice addition from the private beta. But since I'm running the Google Launcher, I have the persistent search bar & have made good use of it. Will have to adjust that to test Cortana.

Where Cortana could really get me is off it had voice activated wear support.