Micro USB Cable with 90 degree bend?

jkbarkerjr

Reaction score
Hey, all! First post on the forums. I came across this post in my search for the same "angled" micro USB cable. Ideally, I'm looking for one with a "Droid-right" bend so it would be convenient for both the car mount and the homemade travel stand I plan on making out of a paper clip (modeled off of Dean and Ying's Blog - iPhone Paper Clip Mount).

While the following Amazon product is listed as "right angle" (which it seems it might be by "normal" USB standards), for us Droid owners this means left angle. One buyer uploaded an image of the bitter end in protest.

Still, this one seems to fit the bill (two buyer reviews are satisfied with the cable itself which looks like it also charges, and there is a relevant review from a Droid owner).
I think $10.15 is still steep, but until more manufacturers start looking to the innovative (not to mention lucrative) product ideas suggested on these forums, we beggars can't be choosers! :)

AMAZON.COM - Startech.com 3FT Right Angle Micro USB Cable

Cheers!
~JKB
Charleston, SC

Last edited:

jkbarkerjr

Reaction score
Thank you, Tomoid!

Definitely a much better deal for the length and price, and thankfully your post caught me before I'd gone to the Amazon shopping cart. Still, this is a left angle cable by Droid standards. I'm next going to try reverse psychology on Google and search for "left angle micro usb" in order to find a "Droid-right" cable. :)

Thanks for the follow-up!

Cheers,
~JKB

Tomoid

Reaction score
Yesterday I ordered one of the cables from Buy.com. I just did a close up view of the micro end and see it looks like a left angle they have pictured.
From other places I have looked it seems we need a "right" angled plug.
So I will know next week how this one will work out for me.

Tomoid

Reaction score
It just hit me... I wonder if some descriptions that say right angle say that as in 90 degree angle and not the direction of the angle!
I guess I need to look closer at the pictures.

cuskit

Reaction score
It just hit me... I wonder if some descriptions that say right angle say that as in 90 degree angle and not the direction of the angle!
If you mean right as in "left or right", then no - they depict the angle of degrees. But do look closely at the female plug itself, some are up and some down (the beveled sides of the socket). This could make a difference as how the cord exits your Droid. cuskit

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
goodpost.gif

Though it isn't compatible with my 64x laptop
x2 I could not get it working with Win 7 64x :( on my Dell Studio laptop

-=Jason=-
Jason, your work around is to use any FTP program on your laptop. The one that you're trying to download that won't work on a 64x is just a little FTP program. Use can use any free or paid FTP app and it works fine.
SmartFTP - FTP Client

Jim

If you mean right as in "left or right", then no - they depict the angle of degrees. But do look closely at the female plug itself, some are up and some down (the beveled sides of the socket). This could make a difference as how the cord exits your Droid. cuskit
I agree. I've noticed the different configurations in the links provided here. I'd want one that comes out of the phone and goes DOWN the side.

jkbarkerjr

Reaction score
Thanks, Rettocs!

It would seem the angledcables.com marketing copy is "Droid friendly" (vs. the rest of the world!). To add to this topic, I got an e-mail back from the same company (angledcables.com and usbfirewire.com both at same address in Wichita, KS).

I left a voicemail on Saturday for usbfirewire.com support inquiring whether or not these angled micro usb cables would both sync and charge a Motorola Droid. I asked for an e-mail response which was waiting for me this morning in my inbox. Here is their prompt reply:

Hi John,

Yes, our A to Micro-B does sync and charge the droid phones, guaranteed.

Link: USB Micro-B Cables - Right Angle, short cables - 877-522-3779

Thanks!
-Rick

http://www.USBFireWire.com
PH: 877-522-3779 x2

FX: 316-239-2555
RICK WESSLEY, OPERATIONS MANAGER

Anyway, if you are like me, I was worried about dropping $15 or more on a cable only to find it wouldn't charge.

Cheers,
~JKB

Rettocs

Reaction score
I thought all the cables charged and synced, and that it was the wall AC adapter that was causing the problems when charging. I could be wrong though.

A.Brooks

Reaction score
This really sucks, Monoprice needs to come out with one of these, I'm not paying 17 bucks for a 'down' angle MicroUSB to USB cable. I'd rather do something else all together than that.

thumper300zx

Reaction score
I was researching this today -- I built a custom dock for my BODY GLOVE covered Droid since the multimedia dock, etc, don't work when you have cases on the phone...want to get a right angle cable to integrate it onto the dock.

But, like said -- most of these right angle cables make the cable go "up" instead of "down" the Droid. If you want more than one cable, you could consider going with a few companies that have lower price per unit, and like $7.99 shipping on the order:

mwave.com:

Personally I want the 6 ft'ers -- not in stock in all locations. BUY.com for $11.99 free shipping, but that gets pricy if you want more than one. On MWave, you could get 4 for about the same price once they are in stock.

The adapter on fommy.com would be a decent choice, too.

Motorola OEM Micro-USB Right Angle Charger Adapter Cable For Blackberry - BlackBerry Curve 8900 - Fommy.com

Those custom right angle cables are cool -- but $15 for a 5 incher? (or whatever it was) ?? That's freaking ridiculous. I can't believe, also, how many sites have the right angle cables but charge like $15+ for shipping. Horrible.

[edit]
AHH --- after a little more research -- right here on this site!!! 6 footers that go the right direction!!!

http://www.ezestand.com/ezestand_006.htm

Last edited:

JimmyD

Reaction score
I was researching this today -- I built a custom dock for my BODY GLOVE covered Droid since the multimedia dock, etc, don't work when you have cases on the phone...want to get a right angle cable to integrate it onto the dock.

But, like said -- most of these right angle cables make the cable go "up" instead of "down" the Droid. If you want more than one cable, you could consider going with a few companies that have lower price per unit, and like $7.99 shipping on the order:

mwave.com:

Personally I want the 6 ft'ers -- not in stock in all locations. BUY.com for $11.99 free shipping, but that gets pricy if you want more than one. On MWave, you could get 4 for about the same price once they are in stock.

The adapter on fommy.com would be a decent choice, too.

Motorola OEM Micro-USB Right Angle Charger Adapter Cable For Blackberry - BlackBerry Curve 8900 - Fommy.com

Those custom right angle cables are cool -- but $15 for a 5 incher? (or whatever it was) ?? That's freaking ridiculous. I can't believe, also, how many sites have the right angle cables but charge like $15+ for shipping. Horrible.

[edit]
AHH --- after a little more research -- right here on this site!!! 6 footers that go the right direction!!!

ezeStand - Buy it Now!

Um... also in THIS THREAD! (Did you read all the posts in here?)
Look up 5 posts above yours on this very page. The correct orientation cable is discussed.