messed up rom update, how do I get back to something useable

tacojohn48

Reaction score
I installed cyanongen's 5.0.4 and everything was ok. I tried to update to 5.0.5 and most of my apps disappeared. I do have a backup from nandroid, from stock, but can't figure out how to restore to it. I have tried selecting nandroid from the clockworkmod recovery 1.7.5 but it tells me that it couldn't open directory. no files found. Any help would be much appreciated.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
If you use nandroid, it will wipe your current ROM and replace with whatever you backed up.

In addition, if you made the backup with sprecovery, clockwork cannot use it.

Whats yuour issue with 5.0.5? Missing google apps?

OP
T

tacojohn48

Reaction score
missing google apps as well as others. I had to reinstall dmupdater.

johall07

Reaction score
when you installed 5.0.5 did you use ROM manager and if so did you check off clear cache when updating cause that would clear off everything you had before

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I hate to knock on someone's work but I would ditch clockwork and cyanogen, at least for a little while. I have seen a crazy amout of issues with it on here lately. I hope you can get things working again. If you have a good nandroid back up just run dmupdater to get sprecovery back and run the nandroid. Just remember to wipe data and cache just to be safe.

OP
T

tacojohn48

Reaction score
I did not clear the cache when I did the update, but once it messed up I figured I just needed to clear the cache, so I tried it that way afterward. At this point I would just like to get back to stock and start over.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I did not clear the cache when I did the update, but once it messed up I figured I just needed to clear the cache, so I tried it that way afterward. At this point I would just like to get back to stock and start over.

Run the dmupdater and it'll get you back to stock quickly.

OP
T

tacojohn48

Reaction score
@jstafford1 I have dm updater, but where do I find sprecovery?

edit - when trying to flash the rom I get an error and it says permission denied

johall07

Reaction score

just download dmupdater and follow the instructions

and idk what problems you have seen with clockwork/cyanogen cause BD is now using clockwork and the new 5.0.5. cyanogen rom is awesome (i use UD and cyanogen) clockwork is much better than sprecovery

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I hate to knock on someone's work but I would ditch clockwork and cyanogen, at least for a little while. I have seen a crazy amout of issues with it on here lately. I hope you can get things working again. If you have a good nandroid back up just run dmupdater to get sprecovery back and run the nandroid. Just remember to wipe data and cache just to be safe.

:icon_eek:

Most of the problems are people not paying attention or reading up before installing a ROM.

The previous Clockwork issues seem to be behind us now, and its got some dang impressive features now.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

and idk what problems you have seen with clockwork/cyanogen cause BD is now using clockwork and the new 5.0.5. cyanogen rom is awesome (i use UD and cyanogen) clockwork is much better than sprecovery

I might have to check that out. I tried UD a couple times but it would hang alot when going from landscape to portait. I like to change things up every now and then anyways. I've ran at least 1 version of all the ROMs here, but never tried koush's.

johall07

Reaction score

I might have to check that out. I tried UD a couple times but it would hang alot when going from landscape to portait. I like to change things up every now and then anyways. I've ran at least 1 version of all the ROMs here, but never tried koush's.

yea i went from pete's to chevys to UD to cyanogen and UD v8 and the new cyanogen are pretty damn good and since those are the only two i currently use and UD is now using clockwork all you gotta do is get ROM manager from the market and install that....to put UD on you gotta dl the nandroid seperate and put it in the clockwork backup folder but the cyanogenmod can be done through the app....sorry for the long off topic post but also the good thing about clockwork is you can clear system, data, cache, and boot so you dont run into any problems cause by conflicting stuff left over by some roms

OP
T

tacojohn48

Reaction score
Do you think Verizon could reflash the rom to stock for me? I am giving up for the night. Try again in the morning.

johall07

Reaction score
Do you think Verizon could reflash the rom to stock for me? I am giving up for the night. Try again in the morning.

idk maybe there is a thread that some verizon rep made just ask him first.....but all you have to do is flash sprecovery with a program that does it for you......the only reason you cant see the nandroid for stock is cause its probably an sprecovery nandroid and not one for clockwork but this is all irrelevant anyway because you can download dmupdater from the market and press like 5 buttons and it will put it back to stock for you