Maybe oems have a point

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As consumers we want the latest and greatest but the reality is the latest is not always the greatest. When ics first came out on the nexus last year it came with some bugs and this year 4.2 is plagued with some minor bugs. When playing with roms we except there will be some bugs so some of us buying a nexus wanting to play with the latest and greatest are ok with that. But the average customers who want a phone that works will not. This is why i think now it is wise for an oem to wait and allow google to work out the bugs and release a stable version for them to build on top of. In a market where they are competing with the iphone, android had the stigma of laggy and buggy compared to their ios counterparts. Oems like Samsung, who are looking to compete, have to make sure the product they put out have the smooth experience that can compete with the experience of the popular iphone. For my nexus i am all for being the first to play with software because I do not rely on it for everyday use. My note 2 on the other hand I need stability and prefer features that work over the latest Google software release.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
You make a good point. Ever since my first smart phone I've wanted the latest and greatest. As you said I don't mind some kinks because knowing I have the "best" software available makes up for that. My girlfriend however doesn't know anything about the world of root or ROMs or even which android version she is running. Sometimes you have to step back and look at it from another P.O.V. like you just did. :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
be interesting to see the evolution of android this year. And will motorola be able to do like samsung and make a device for all carriers. Motorola being tied to just verizon is hindering some of the things they could do, where if they make a feature device on all carriers and international they will be able to take back some of that leverage verizon have on them.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
be interesting to see the evolution of android this year. And will motorola be able to do like samsung and make a device for all carriers. Motorola being tied to just verizon is hindering some of the things they could do, where if they make a feature device on all carriers and international they will be able to take back some of that leverage verizon have on them.

I wonder how long Verizon has a hold on the whole "Droid" thing - I'm sure that's tying Moto/Google's hands a bit.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
im sure verizon was controlling enough to lock that in, but that should not be what keeps motorola at bay. They could release the Motorola (enter name) for all the other carriers and call it a Droid (enter name) for verizon. Or come up with another name. Like Predator :biggrin:.

I even have a logo for them.

420780_331816246854049_130940650274944_816890_141838635_n.jpg

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Besides the sheep factor,ios devices sell in droves because they work. No matter which ios device it works the same as another ios device with a different sized screen.
By Android allowing manufacturers to overlay their definition of what the consumer wants is no different, in the results, of the dumbphone days when Verizon overlay of manufacturer UIs caused bugs. It was never the LG, Moto or Samsung UIs that caused Bluetooth not to work right, cameras to not work right, etc it was the overlay.
We often speak of the heavy hand of Apple but in this case them sticking to their guns and not allowing other fingers in the pie not only helps keep things simpler for the owner, the side benefit has been more revenue from repeat customers who demand non buggy devices that with each one the owner has to relearn how to use the darn thing, which is what Verizon attempted to do, but failed, with its generic dumbphone UI. Overlayed Android is simply reverse of what Verizon did with their dumbphone but same result; bugs and quirks

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Last edited: